Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

newbie to flash

Options
  • 28-02-2005 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

HI

I hope someone can help me here?

I'm currently working on a J2EE application in college, which comprises a web front end.

Over the weekend I started to pretty up my front end, I'm using struts with tiles and as part of my top tile I hope to have a flash movie (.swf) file.

One of my friends emailed me a template .fla file, its a generic type and has titles such as "Your Company .com" and "your slogan". It also contains a link bar that I wish to change .

I hope to use this, but i'm struggeling to change it.

I have flash MX and can open the file, but I can't locate the text and actions i want to change.

I know this question is very generall, but any help at all would be appreciated.
    It'd be great if someone could point me in the right direction.

Cheers
    JK

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Ctrl + L and pop open the Library and make sure they are not part of the Flash movie as clips, symbols, etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Jim Kernsey

Cheers

I found the graphics with the text in them. Never would have found it by myself.

I have one more question, There is a link bar at the botton, when the mouse rolls over it, it plays a movie which changes colour. what is the best way to add a link to this??

JK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

select the link bar that you want to apply the link to and in the properties bar it will tell you what type of symbol it is. It has to be a movie clip or a button for you to apply an action to it, and it presumably is one of these since it would seem to already have actions applied to it to trigger the change colour movie you refer to above.

Open the actions panel (F9) and you should see these actions, among which will more than likely be an "on(rollOver)" {} action, which is what is triggering the change colour movie.

I presume you want to activate the link by pressing, so after the closed curley bracket which terminates the above mentioned "on(rollOver)" action, paste in the following:
    on(press){
    	getURL("http://www.google.com", "_self");
    }

replacing the google URL with the one you want to link to, and the '_self' with the window you want the link to open in (_blank for new, _top if you want to get rid of a frameset, etc.). Publish the movie and it should work, though things may not be as straightforward, depending on the actions already applied to that button/movie clip.

Advertisement