Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling My Car - Is the buyer insured ? How do I know ?

Options
  • 28-02-2005 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

Here's the scenario:

I sell my car to a buyer, he pays with a cheaper car and cash and drives off. If the buyer makes a call to his insurance company to transfers his insurance, how do I know that he is covered if he drives off and totals my old car ? Will this effect me ? Can I prove that we made a deal and not that he was test driving my old car ?

Is there strength in the deal made earlier, should change of ownership forms happen first ?

Any replies appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Who cares. You have your cash and his signature on the Change of Ownership form.

Doesnt effect you in the slightest

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

Sounds good to me. This'd be my 1st private sale, thus the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

mrbungle wrote:
    Is there strength in the deal made earlier, should change of ownership forms happen first ?

Always complete the change of ownership documentation before handing over the keys. That's only common sense.

Otherwise, when he drives off and totals the car - or worse still - kills someone - it's still technically your car and complications may arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

I'd be more worried about the change of ownership forms (on both cars), plus checking the 2nd cars history (servicing, no outstanding finance etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

Is there any way I can check outstanding finance ?
    Given it's not my car to check.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just a reminder to hang on to the change of ownership form for your car, and post it off yourself. That way you have evidence that the transaction took place.

G'luck

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Apparently theres a group:
    Hire Purchase Information Ltd,
    Clonskeagh Road, Dublin 14.
    (Tel 01 260 0905)

http://www.mabs.ie/Debt_Cars.htm

I think there's a charge not sure how much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

bbbbb wrote:
    Apparently theres a group:
    Hire Purchase Information Ltd,
    Clonskeagh Road, Dublin 14.
    (Tel 01 260 0905)

http://www.mabs.ie/Debt_Cars.htm

I think there's a charge not sure how much

Yep, there's a charge of about 50euro. It's worth it though. I had my car checked out when I bought privately a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

The whole issue of car finance is grossly unfair to the purchaser, the laws need to be changed.

A seperate registration document should be introduced for all cars owned by finance companies so that people can not casually sell cars they do not own.

As well a FREE public database should be available so potential purchasers can check the status of cars without having to pay the same institutions they are under potential threat of losing their purchase to.

Advertisement