Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the reason for life or living?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 suga

What is the reason for life or living? This question is bugging me but no matter how hard I try I can't seem to find the answer I keep ending up with 'why?' .:( There has to be a reason for us being here. Can anybody please enlighten me?

Firstly, like the username CC! That question is such a HUGE question it simply can't be answered by typing or on-line! I regularly have these intense discussions with my friends and colleugues ( I know, I know, how boring are we?!!) but what it comes down to is that each individual has their own explanation for it, based on their own personalities, life experiences, hopes, aspirations, and most importantly (in regards to most influential in answering the question) their cultural and religious beliefs.

What you have to define is who you are, what your purpose is here (or divine purpose as it's known) and what YOU want to acheive in this lifetime. When you figure those out, the answer to that diverse question "what is the meaning of life" will come to you, at least it did for me with ALOT of work in becoming truelly spiritually aware...and that doesn't involve any particular religion for me.

I don't agree with the theory that if you ask that question then you're not all that happy in this life, however we may ask 'what is this all f*cking for' when things seem crap, I think (and it's just my meer opinion!) that it's inherent in humans to question, especially the largely unknown and the 'taboo' subjects for all the world. Either way, again it is just my opinion, that when we become spiritually aware and become experts of ourselves (and so few people are), our own individual and unique answers to these philosophical questions come to us. Hope that helps CC, although I know it's not telling you directly what you want to hear, my point is only YOU can figure that out for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Iccy

I think that when people talk about this question things get very difficult. What a lot of people do is rather that devise a response as an independent free thinking person they try to make what they say answer proof.

Every single response to 'what is the meaning of life' has a bunch of implications. Take for example the last post; what may seem to be a common sense approach stating that life has a meaning that you ascribe to it driven by your experiences. What is being implied is that experiences have implicit meaning and any suggestion to go out into the world and seek the meaning ammounts to saying something like: life has meaning but we cannot articulate it - go discover it.

I think that the meaning of life is happiness. I don't propose hedonism. I think some of the happiest times come from the anticipation of future happiness and not simply through pure satisfaction. This might sound like Utilitatianism but doesn't it have that kind of practical element that we really want to get when we ask what is the meaning of life? Part of what I find off putting about other positions is that they don't provide me with real answers whereas the pursuit of happiness can inform decisions which makes it much more appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

There is no reason. You make of it what you will, or try and deal with it the best way you can. So you have to give yourself a purpose, otherwise, you are just waiting round to die.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Are we tabla raza? Blank slates behaviourally programmed during our developing years to perform in socially constructed ways? Treading along in our Skinner boxes towards an increasingly rationalised Weberian world? Or is there more to this life, where the hope of Viktor Frankl makes a difference between those of the living and the living dead?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

REDZ wrote:
    Nice!
    Its really just an accident of phyiscs, chemistry and biology that we are here at all.

Don't ask me why we are here but I has to be more than that.... otherwise why not just nuke the whole planet and be done with it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

The reason for living can found in philosophical contemplation, relationships, self actualization and music imo.

Without music life would be a mistake. ~ Nietzsche

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

jhegarty wrote:
    Don't ask me why we are here but I has to be more than that.... otherwise why not just nuke the whole planet and be done with it...
    What reason would you have to nuke the planet? What reason would you have to be done with it?

Do you equate not having a reason to do something with having a reason to not do said thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I have a short and easy descripton for the meaning of life (as i see it anyway).
    I believe our purpose for being here is to reproduce ourselves according to nature.The idea being that from generation to generation we become stronger and more advanced.The ultimate goal is to become a perfect people.
    So for us,all we gotta do is live as good a life as we can eventually form a family and have a couple of young ones to continue our gene pool.And so on and so on. Generations from now we will reach the perfect level (for the religious of you as close to God as possible i guess)
    Unfortunately we will not see this. We are just a cog in a gigantic wheel. But we can be proud of our contribution and should be happy with out lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Jackie laughlin

Suppose you discover THE reason, then what do you do?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Suppose you discover THE reason, then what do you do?

The Total Perspective Vortex, in the fictional world of Douglas Adams's The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, is the most horrible torture device to which a sentient being can be subjected. Located on Frogstar World B, it shows its victim the entire unimaginable infinity of the universe with a very tiny marker that says "You Are Here" which points to a microscopic dot on a microscopic dot.

The machine was originally invented by one Trin Tragula in order to annoy his wife. Because she was forever nagging him for having no sense of proportion, he decided to invent something that would show her what having a sense of proportion really meant. Unfortunately the shock of being placed in the Vortex destroyed her brain, but Trin Tragula's grief was tempered by the knowledge that he had been right and she had been wrong. The Total Perspective Vortex had proved that in an infinite universe the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.

The machine produces a virtual reality model of the entire universe by means of the axiom that any piece of matter is affected by all other matter. The Vortex reconstructs the universe through computer processing of a high-resolution scan of a small object. In the words of the Hitchhiker's Guide,

"...since every piece of matter in the Universe is in someway affected by every other piece of matter in the Universe, it is in theory possible to extrapolate the whole of creation - every Galaxy, every sun, every planet, their orbits, their composition, and their economic and social history from, say, one small piece of fairy cake."

Only Zaphod Beeblebrox is reported to have survived the Vortex unscathed (and to then have eaten the small piece of fairy cake). When it showed him the "You Are Here" marker, Zaphod correctly interpreted the Vortex as simply telling him that he was the most important being in the universe. ("Didn't I tell you baby? I'm Zaphod Beeblebrox!"). After emerging from the artificial universes' Total Perspective Vortex, Zaphod ate the piece of fairy cake, saying "If I told you how much I needed this, I wouldn't have time to eat it."
    [taken from wikipedia]

Well, it depends on what THE reason is...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Spiritus Mundi#

I dont really have anything constructive or intelligent to add .... the whole question makes me dizzy, i need to lie down after reading this! i'd actually be quite happy if the meaning of life did turn out to be 42!! that's if its possible to be happy (or anything) then....

the prospect of dying/death/not being alive fills me with so much fear yet i eat junk most of the week and drink excessively, based on the logic that i live my life by, i know i cant come up with an answer that fits well in my own brain or in this forum.

1 question though - we use so little of our potential brain power, does anyone think a definitive concept or an answer is ever achievable using 100% of the human brain?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

1 question though - we use so little of our potential brain power, does anyone think a definitive concept or an answer is ever achievable using 100% of the human brain?

What makes you think this? It is a myth that we only use 10% of our brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Spiritus Mundi#

Even granted that, i was more getting at hypothetically over the course of future human evolution, do you think the human brain will ever be able to grasp a definitive concept (if there is such a thing). <i.e. im not suggesting some super genius out there now can provide a good answer to this question, but i am hopeful that in the future, distant or otherwise, we may evolve to a place where it's possible>

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Even granted that, i was more getting at hypothetically over the course of future human evolution, do you think the human brain will ever be able to grasp a definitive concept (if there is such a thing). <i.e. im not suggesting some super genius out there now can provide a good answer to this question, but i am hopeful that in the future, distant or otherwise, we may evolve to a place where it's possible>

Humanity has difficulty conceptualising the laws of the universe as we understand them, the how, when or what questions. The why is another order of magnitude again, though who knows - humanity is close to being in a position to influence - if not control - its own evolutionary path, so we may get a damn sight smarter on average. And theres also the possibility we may create robots smarter than us to answer the question [Hopefully they wont decide the purpose for our existence is to act as biological duracells].

The reality is there probably isnt a reason for why life should exist. After all, why shouldnt it? If the conditions for life exist, then it follows that life will exist. If the conditions dont, then it wont. You can work back to why should those conditions etc, but it just comes down to the fact that they do, and why shouldnt they? However improbable the set of conditions might be, they do hold and life is a natural predictable result of this. For us to even consider the question implies the probability of those conditions = 1.

It shouldnt be all that puzzling that we exist on a planet that supports the conditions for life - it would be more puzzling if life didnt exist on a planet like Earth. And if some asteroid strike or solar event eliminates the conditions for life on Earth, then it wont be a cosmic mystery why all life ends on this planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

We dont know the meaning of life or even if there is one, because we are not meant to know, i believe. The finest mind in the world can sit down for years pondering our raison d'être, and not come up with a more satisfactory explantion than a dimwit after drinking 20 pints emparting their homemade philosophy to everyone sitting near them on the nitelink home willing to listen.

Find time to spend doing things you enjoy is the best advice. Organised religion is to try and preserve moral order, i believe. I reject their heaven and hell and other unsubstantiated pondering stuff written by human people who don't really know anyway. Priests are policemen for the mind if you will, to try and make sure we dont all go around doing crazy stuff and destroying the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 s@r@...

Whether or not we know the meaning of life... where we come from... or where we're going... makes little difference.

Why do we fall in love? Why do we see beauty? There's no answer because there's no reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

s@r@... wrote:
    Why do we fall in love? Why do we see beauty? There's no answer because there's no reason.

Biological reactions I suppose.

Also If there is a meaning to life we probaly wont find out I until we die and if ther eis A God or something like it ask him.

I prefer Tommy Teirnans view on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Mordeth wrote:
    it's marginally preferable to the alternative?

If one never lived they would'nt know of an alternative. Plus when your dead you don't know anything least of all that fact you once existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Cast Away wrote:
    Religion made life so much easier. I was born and raised as a Christian. Until not to long ago I believed whole heartedly that when I died I was going to go to heaven.

The delusion is so easy. I envy people like Wheeler4 that hold on to it. How great is it to honest believe that when you die you're going to heaven. To not fear death.

Some of you will say, this isn't great at all. For some people, this may very well be the case. For me, I personally have spent years now trying to cope with the fact that I do know the truth and it is this...

The universe was created on the day I was born, and it will cease to exist on the day that I die.

Cast Away

Exactly, that is the harsh reality of it. Existance is all relative, when you die ,time ends for you. As far as you are concerned, nothing happened until you existed, if you were not told of it and no information was around you would think this all arrived when you come into being. The Universe and everything within in keeps on going as others experience it. The only survivor of life is time, which can neither be created or destroyed as it is a part of self measured existance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Dante's Devise

Maybe the reason/meaning of life is the answer itself.

The fact that you are looking for an answer is the reason for living & the things that you might come to understand & discover while you search for it
    will show you the meaning of life in your own specific views.

I don't think this question should ever be asked or the answer ever defined because once it is answered, people will naturally find flaws in that answer - to define perfection is to leave perfection undefined.

If a person wants to find the meaning of life they should not ask it but search for it themselves in their own personal experience so they can understand it in their own way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I think that you basically seek the meaning of life in either an objective or subjective context.

Most people seeking the big answer do so in an objective context, looking for someone else to present them with a credible pre-packed ready-to-go belief system that they can present at the till.

Most people who are brought up in a strong ethos of an organised religion will already come with the meaning instilled in them from an early age, so that the meaning becomes very subjective as it's instilled in them from early childhood instruction.

On a base physiological level, I have come to the conclusion that 'survival and reproduction' are the meanings of life. Based on Darwin's theory of natural selection, only species/organisms with the drive to survive combined with a successful reproductive process should have made the cut over the hundreds of millions of years of life on earth.

I believe all species on earth originated from this one successful proto-organism, probably from the early Cambrian period. The variety of animals and species we see now is basically down to the ability of DNA to produce random mutations of itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

What is the reason for life or living? This question is bugging me but no matter how hard I try I can't seem to find the answer I keep ending up with 'why?' .:( There has to be a reason for us being here. Can anybody please enlighten me?

This question has been reflected on in the bible:

Ecclesiastes 1
    Everything Is Meaningless
    1 The words of the Teacher, [a] son of David, king in Jerusalem:
    2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!"
    says the Teacher.
    "Utterly meaningless!
    Everything is meaningless."

3 What does man gain from all his labor
    at which he toils under the sun?

4 Generations come and generations go,
    but the earth remains forever.

5 The sun rises and the sun sets,
    and hurries back to where it rises.

6 The wind blows to the south
    and turns to the north;
    round and round it goes,
    ever returning on its course.

7 All streams flow into the sea,
    yet the sea is never full.
    To the place the streams come from,
    there they return again.

8 All things are wearisome,
    more than one can say.
    The eye never has enough of seeing,
    nor the ear its fill of hearing.

9 What has been will be again,
    what has been done will be done again;
    there is nothing new under the sun.

10 Is there anything of which one can say,
    "Look! This is something new"?
    It was here already, long ago;
    it was here before our time.

11 There is no remembrance of men of old,
    and even those who are yet to come
    will not be remembered
    by those who follow.

To find the answer to this and the true meaning of life, get your hands on a bible and read Romans 1-12. Looking foward to hearing your views/comment when you've read Romans...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 One word

I think that a person's reason for living is self-appointed and unique to that person, rather than the entire human race living for the same reason.

The question, "What is the reason for living?" is almost always directed at the entire human race, rather than an individual.

Some conservative theists would answer your question by saying that everything happens for a reason and everything you do is all part of God's "master plan" for humanity, of which your a very important part

Or that you live simply to serve God.

I however, think that humans are much more than some building block for a greater design, as cells are to humans.

We are deciders of our own fate, and so we must find our own reasons to live rather than depending on the reasons we get from others (whether they be other humans, god(s), or logic).

I am under the impression that you beleive there is either a monumental reason that is all important to something greater than humans for living, or that there is no reason for living at all.

I beleive in a medium

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

Sorry if i am slicing into a discussion between a few of yee here. I just have a little point=)

I believe asking the question why are we here is completely human and is based on instinct. If you were knocked out suddenly and brought to some place foreign that was dark would you feel uncomfortable in not knowing where you were and why you were there?Of course you would. Though We in our planet are not in some dark strange place and feel somewhat comfortable with things that are familiar, we can't help but look up to the sky and think that we are just one very small dot on a very big sheet of paper. As i said, it's natural and we must respond to our positive natural instincts.

In saying this i would like to give my own answer on the why????

Happiness is why we live. If you had a choice in giving everyone in this planet true happiness opposed to knowing everything about the universe (and being miserable) which would you choose? They say knowledge is power, its the power of self-destruction thats what it is. If you can know enough to make yourself happy and others around you thats all the knowledge you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭surripere

The meaning of life is the meaning you give it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Maybe some us of need to understand why we are here more so than others ,I cant remember a time when i was not asking the same question as the OP ......who am i apart from this name and human identity i have ? ,
    why was i born into this particular family /country /religion and not another ? were has the child who wondered at the magic of this world gone to ?..the inner child inside the man ? why are millions of people ,even the most succsessful so confused and depressed ? .

Think back to when you were an innocent child sitting on a deserted beach or field ,listening to the stillness inside you and being at one with the nature and the world ,the whole magical wonder of it all ? ....scary but beautiful

As the song says '' there are more questions than answers ,
    pictures in my mind and in my soul ,
    there are more questions than answers ,
    and the more i find out the less i know''......

Just as an afterthought and away from the main concept of the topic

.......if we ask why so many people crave fame that they are willing to do (almost) anything to achieve it .There will always be talented people who will be discovered ie sports people ,musicians ,singers actors ..........on the downside there will also be people who need to give ther life some meaning ,for example like Lee Harvey Oswald who achived his fame by (we are led to belive) assassinating a president .....did that give his life meaning , just to become infamous in Human history ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭TheThing!

The purpose of life is to conform as much as possible, hold strong beliefs but never make them known, even when it may be important, to let everything you care about drift from your grasp without even putting up a fight, to allow others to impose their way of living onto you, to go out of your way to give the impression that the assumptions people who you don't even know or who don't know you are make about you are correct, to step back from opportunities for fear of making your situation worse and most of all to do the above believing that there is another life after this which will be perfect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Here are a few thoughts of mine.

1.No reason for life

2.Continuation of the race,each job done is needed to help the world go round.

3.Each person their own meaning to life,as in themselves rather than a collective unless their meaning is to help a collective.

4.Happiness,laughter,which ever emotion you want to pick.

5.Creation i.e. to build,to create,to design.

6.An experiment or a God(s)/like figure being bord

Which ever really,Number 3 is my most personal choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 abu yahya

These are the most fundamental questions we all need to ask ourselves at some stage in our lives. These are the most natural of questions which man requires an answer to in order to form a basis for all his actions. Without an answer we are simply running with a limited view of life, i.e. what is here and now, with no regard to the past and future.

Such a view of life can be compared to applying for a job without asking the interviewer what the history of the company is, who they would be working for, why the previous person left, what the job is, what the prospects for promotion are and so on. To simply ask for a job with no reference to the past and future and how they are related is naive and superficial.

If a person was drugged and woke up to find himself on a desert island, he will naturally ask himself, where am I? Why am I here? Who put me here? What will happen next? It would be foolish of him to ignore these questions and go about making the best of his life in that situation, and enjoy himself.

Similarly, when a child is born, he comes into this world without a choice and without any knowledge of where he is, where he came from, and what will happen to him next.

When a person dies he leaves this life without a choice and takes nothing with him except his deeds, i.e. his good and his bad actions. So we need to know what came before life and what comes after life and how this relates to us during this life. The answers to these questions should form the basis for all our actions in life and thus show us the purpose of our lives.

We need to know the purpose of our lives before undertaking blindly the goals dictated by the society we live in. Let’s look at an example: Are you the type of person who would board a train without knowing where it has come from and what is its destination? If so then you are lost and need guidance, so seek help. Similarly, this life is like a journey and before we undertake it we need to take all the necessary steps to make preparations for this journey and know our ultimate destination and how to act there. Life is too short to live every day as it comes and have no objective other than material benefit or striving to attract the opposite sex or have no viewpoint on life at all.

Questions of what happens after death invoke an uneasy feeling in many people, and many may run away from the question as if it does not affect them. Yet death is the most definite event in everyone’s life, so we need to make preparation for when we die. Death will come to wherever and whoever you are, so ponder about what will happen to you after you are dead.

The answer must be definite with no room for error because your whole existence depends on it and there are no second chances. You can live your life trying to accumulate wealth but when you are dead there will be someone else there to enjoy that wealth, so be aware.

Mankind progresses through thought, and the most important factor affecting our actions in life is the thoughts we believe in and carry. Without thought, man drifts aimlessly from situation to situation, waiting for things to happen rather than initiating action and progressing. Man needs to take a comprehensive view of what we are, and how we should fit into the scheme of life in its entirety.

Man not only is interested in finding a solution to these basic questions, but needs to take a view in order to have a reference point for all problems he faces. In short, man needs an ideology or complete way of life to believe in and regulate his affairs.

We need to exercise our minds to their full capability in finding the correct solution, a solution that can be tested against reality and ration, and will be comprehensive for all circumstances. It is not acceptable to let life pass away without contemplating and deciding the basis upon which life itself is built and organised. Only in the adoption of comprehensive thought and ideology will mankind both individually and collectively have peace of mind and a solid foundation upon which he is free to truly progress. Society needs a way of life to which all problems can be referred and solutions readily given.

Today there is such an ideology or way of life which answers man’s questions about his existence in a comprehensive manner. This ideology is Islam, and it is a complete system to regulate mans affairs.

Muslims believe in one God who is Allah (SWT), the Creator of man, life and the universe. The Prophet Muhammad (SAW) was the Messenger of Allah (SWT), and the miracle he brought which is still with us today is the Qur’an. The Qur’an is the Words of God, and is the guidance for all mankind.

All of mankind will be raised up on the Day of Judgement and held accountable for their actions in this life. Then for the ones who are successful they will be rewarded with Paradise forever, and the ones who failed will be punished with Hellfire.

The time is here for you to look seriously at where your life is taking you. So don’t live your life in ignorance; take a serious look at Islam and what it can offer, not just you but the children you may have in future. Don’t be misguided by the manner in which Islam is portrayed in the media, i.e. don’t judge a book by its cover; study the Qur’an and understand the miracle for yourself. Talk to sincere Muslims who know about Islam and discuss with them what is the truth.

We will leave you with a few verses of the Qur’an to think about:

“And they say, ‘There is nothing but our life of the world; we die and we live, and nothing destroys us but time.’ But of that they have no knowledge, they only guess.” (EMQ 45:24)

“Were they created out of nothing? Or are they the creators? Or did they create the heavens and the earth? No, they are sure of nothing.” (EMQ 52:35)

“Who will revive these bones when they are rotten away (asks man)? Say, ‘He will revive them who produces them at first, for He is the Knower of every creation.’” (EMQ 36:78)

“And man says: ‘What! When I am dead shall I be raised alive?’ Does man not remember that we created him before when he was nothing?” (EMQ 19:66)

Knowledge of the truth comes to those who seek it. Remember the pleasures of today could hide the screams of tomorrow, so be sure that the life you are living is based on truth, not a limited man made ideology that is based on falsehood.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 abu yahya

These are the most fundamental questions we all need to ask ourselves at some stage in our lives. These are the most natural of questions which man requires an answer to in order to form a basis for all his actions. Without an answer we are simply running with a limited view of life, i.e. what is here and now, with no regard to the past and future.

Such a view of life can be compared to applying for a job without asking the interviewer what the history of the company is, who they would be working for, why the previous person left, what the job is, what the prospects for promotion are and so on. To simply ask for a job with no reference to the past and future and how they are related is naive and superficial.

If a person was drugged and woke up to find himself on a desert island, he will naturally ask himself, where am I? Why am I here? Who put me here? What will happen next? It would be foolish of him to ignore these questions and go about making the best of his life in that situation, and enjoy himself.

Similarly, when a child is born, he comes into this world without a choice and without any knowledge of where he is, where he came from, and what will happen to him next.

When a person dies he leaves this life without a choice and takes nothing with him except his deeds, i.e. his good and his bad actions. So we need to know what came before life and what comes after life and how this relates to us during this life. The answers to these questions should form the basis for all our actions in life and thus show us the purpose of our lives.

We need to know the purpose of our lives before undertaking blindly the goals dictated by the society we live in. Let’s look at an example: Are you the type of person who would board a train without knowing where it has come from and what is its destination? If so then you are lost and need guidance, so seek help. Similarly, this life is like a journey and before we undertake it we need to take all the necessary steps to make preparations for this journey and know our ultimate destination and how to act there. Life is too short to live every day as it comes and have no objective other than material benefit or striving to attract the opposite sex or have no viewpoint on life at all.

Questions of what happens after death invoke an uneasy feeling in many people, and many may run away from the question as if it does not affect them. Yet death is the most definite event in everyone’s life, so we need to make preparation for when we die. Death will come to wherever and whoever you are, so ponder about what will happen to you after you are dead.

The answer must be definite with no room for error because your whole existence depends on it and there are no second chances. You can live your life trying to accumulate wealth but when you are dead there will be someone else there to enjoy that wealth, so be aware.

Mankind progresses through thought, and the most important factor affecting our actions in life is the thoughts we believe in and carry. Without thought, man drifts aimlessly from situation to situation, waiting for things to happen rather than initiating action and progressing. Man needs to take a comprehensive view of what we are, and how we should fit into the scheme of life in its entirety.

Man not only is interested in finding a solution to these basic questions, but needs to take a view in order to have a reference point for all problems he faces. In short, man needs an ideology or complete way of life to believe in and regulate his affairs.

We need to exercise our minds to their full capability in finding the correct solution, a solution that can be tested against reality and ration, and will be comprehensive for all circumstances. It is not acceptable to let life pass away without contemplating and deciding the basis upon which life itself is built and organised. Only in the adoption of comprehensive thought and ideology will mankind both individually and collectively have peace of mind and a solid foundation upon which he is free to truly progress. Society needs a way of life to which all problems can be referred and solutions readily given.

Today there is such an ideology or way of life which answers man’s questions about his existence in a comprehensive manner. This ideology is Islam, and it is a complete system to regulate mans affairs.

Muslims believe in one God who is Allah (SWT), the Creator of man, life and the universe. The Prophet Muhammad (SAW) was the Messenger of Allah (SWT), and the miracle he brought which is still with us today is the Qur’an. The Qur’an is the Words of God, and is the guidance for all mankind.

All of mankind will be raised up on the Day of Judgement and held accountable for their actions in this life. Then for the ones who are successful they will be rewarded with Paradise forever, and the ones who failed will be punished with Hellfire.

The time is here for you to look seriously at where your life is taking you. So don’t live your life in ignorance; take a serious look at Islam and what it can offer, not just you but the children you may have in future. Don’t be misguided by the manner in which Islam is portrayed in the media, i.e. don’t judge a book by its cover; study the Qur’an and understand the miracle for yourself. Talk to sincere Muslims who know about Islam and discuss with them what is the truth.

We will leave you with a few verses of the Qur’an to think about:

“And they say, ‘There is nothing but our life of the world; we die and we live, and nothing destroys us but time.’ But of that they have no knowledge, they only guess.” (EMQ 45:24)

“Were they created out of nothing? Or are they the creators? Or did they create the heavens and the earth? No, they are sure of nothing.” (EMQ 52:35)

“Who will revive these bones when they are rotten away (asks man)? Say, ‘He will revive them who produces them at first, for He is the Knower of every creation.’” (EMQ 36:78)

“And man says: ‘What! When I am dead shall I be raised alive?’ Does man not remember that we created him before when he was nothing?” (EMQ 19:66)

Knowledge of the truth comes to those who seek it. Remember the pleasures of today could hide the screams of tomorrow, so be sure that the life you are living is based on truth, not a limited man made ideology that is based on falsehood.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement