Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ridiculous Genre Titles

Options
  • 28-02-2005 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Genres and sub genres can all get very confusing and bands like rhapsody aren't helping inventing ones like Symphonic Epic Hollywood Power Metal. Thats just ridiculous! Other ones I've heard are cosmic metal and film score metal. Anyone else know any stupid genre names?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

It's funny that it's always cheesy European Power Metal bands who come up with those titles and their ilk, but it does add to their pompousity level and the cheese appeal, don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

and love metal, come on, it's just....stupid...simply stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I dunno, I always found DragonForce's 'Extreme power metal' cheesey yet somehow refreshingly true :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Emocore. L to the A to the M to the E.

Also, "Symphonic Black Metal with Gothic Overtones" as I heard someone describing...(Darkthrone?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

Neo-classical metal and forest metal are pretty ridiculous and unneccesary titles. I mean, neo-classical? Are we talking about seventeenth century antiques or a bunch of lads in make-up with guitars?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I believe Manowar laid this gayness to rest with the line "Heavy Metal or no Metal at all" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

And if that wasnt bad enough the genres mean different things to different ppl, like many people I know of the older generation mostly talk about cream and led zep being heavy metal and lots of other people would just call them blues rock and anything less heavy than Sabbath wasnt heavy metal.

Speed Metal meets Grunge: Sponge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Loud metal?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Post rock scandinavian death grunge. Bassey I don't think there's a genre called love metal. Name of a HIM album though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Drums

bassey wrote:
    and love metal, come on, it's just....stupid...simply stupid

I agree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Pet wrote:
    Also, "Symphonic Black Metal with Gothic Overtones" as I heard someone describing...(Darkthrone?).

Not a chance of that description being about Darkthrone. When everyone else was flirting with orchestras and the like, Darkthrone stuck to their dirty roots and did what they always did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭slssprite

Fantasy gothic black metal ))--summoning
    true unholy black...

Gothic metal--this is the stupid one, because doesnt have anything from real gothic music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 729 ✭✭✭crazy angel

i no someone who classifies certain stuff as 'german metal'????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Pure Epic Symphonic Hollywood Metal
    Unfortunately I can't remember for the life of me who's CD I saw it on

also, people calling Opeth Forest Metal.. wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

LOL
    ppl describe Mael Mordha as 'Celtic Doom Metal' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

nosmo wrote:
    also, people calling Opeth Forest Metal.. wtf?

lol, yea i heard them called 'Medieval Metal'

and, the mars volta are alt-prog-jazz-spazz-punk-metal so i believe :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Paligulus

I thought "Stadium Indie" was pretty funny. I think it was used to decribe Snow Patrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

i no someone who classifies certain stuff as 'german metal'????

could he be talking about rammstein-like bands? with the same guitar sound throughout all their songs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I think emocore sounds stupid and lame.
    Bah.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

"screamo" aghhhhhh!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

I've seen Meat Loaf classed as "Punk Rock and "Metal"...

Advertisement