Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with Mozilla Thunderbird! Go back to Outlook?

Options
  • 28-02-2005 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I suppose this is as good a place as any to post this as it has to do with the web, i.e. email! I decided to try out Thunderbird since they released a v1 of the software. There are a lot of cool features in it and would love to stick with it but I might go back to my trusty Outlook 2000 or buy Outlook 2003. Any else experiencing these problems with it...

1. Can be very slow to load up mail, folders, etc. I've a fast machine and never had this problem with Outlook. It just seems to hang a little before opening something.

2. Can't find server! After having the program open for 2/3 hours or more, I try to "Get Mail" and it just seems to hang trying to find the first mail server. It's like it is looking for the mail server, e.g. it says looking up mail.mydomain.com in the bottom left status bar. It just stays like that but the program doesn't hang.... so, I close and reopen it and then hit "Get Mail" and it works fine.

I'm really enjoying the news feeds and other features but I think I might just go back to outlook. Outlook 2003 any better for news feeds, sorting/highlighting messages and managing junk?

Thx, Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Outlook 2003 is not better or worse, it's different.
    Well, actually, it's pretty woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

blacknight wrote:
    Outlook 2003 is not better or worse, it's different.
    Well, actually, it's pretty woeful.
    Any suggestions for a good email client then? I don't need calendar, tasks or anything like that... just a decent email, news and contacts manager! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Thunderbird is fine
    Eudora works well
    Evolution is fantastic, but you'd have to give up windows :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

I use the inbuilt mail client with Opera - no complaints with it at all - except it doesnt display HTML emails

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Apply the service packs to Outlook 2000 ( http://officeupdate.microsoft.com ) anyway - but only if you have BB it's BIG and you will need the original install media to hand.

Outlook 2003 can handle PST files over 2GB but only when using a format incompatible with earlier versions of outlook - most of the other changes are cosmetic so I can't seen any reason why a standalone user would upgrade from 2000 to 2003 - exchange server users are covered by the server cals so they don't need to pay for an upgrade - BTW: anyone know how to turn off the Preview PAIN globally rather than for each folder one at a time ?

If you do decide to use outlook then get http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/windows.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Outlook is a dreadful mail client (it's groupware is decent).

... and this is anything but a good place for this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Outlook is a dreadful mail client (it's groupware is decent).

... and this is anything but a good place for this thread.
    what do you use as an alternative leeroy?

Why not in this forum? I mainly post in this forum and trust the views and posts by a number of members who may not see my post elsewhere! I looked at the list of forums under "comp" above... and the only other one was computers and that's too general for my liking. That's why "this is as good a place as any"! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'm encumbered with Outlook (and the Exchange server behind it) at work. Whenever I use Outlook, I find that by default it actually makes it awkward to work with e-mail.

Otherwise I use mutt. If I wanted a graphical client I'd use either Evolution or Thunderbird.

Advertisement