Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slipknot - 9 members?

Options
  • 28-02-2005 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭

I was listening to some Slipknot songs there and was trying to figure out what they all do. I mean I can make out the drums, guitar, bass, vocals and some of the samples but that still leaves 3 guys over. What do they do exactly? Why do they need a DJ? Are they just for the live show or do they actually add anything to the sound that the others couldn't? Anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i think one of them just has a set of drums on what looks to be a little cherry picker and he just head bangs while kneeling on top of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

They've got two "Percussionists" who basically have nothing but bass drums, so those blastbeats don't put too much of a strain on poor Joey.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Don't they have two guys that just beat the crap out of each other on stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

They've got two "Percussionists" who basically have nothing but bass drums, so those blastbeats don't put too much of a strain on poor Joey.

Are you serious? They can play fast sometimes but not that fast. Most bands manage
    Cremo wrote:
    i think one of them just has a set of drums on what looks to be a little cherry picker and he just head bangs while kneeling on top of them.

I think I've seen that in one of their videos. It's not really adding anything to the sound though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

These guys are so untalented and sell by image.

I would rather go to see Justin Timberlake than Slipknot....

• Advertisement

I am MAN wrote:

I would rather go to see Justin Timberlake than Slipknot....

Justin's okay but I preferred it when he was in 'NSYNC.

I've said too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Outshined wrote:
    I think I've seen that in one of their videos. It's not really adding anything to the sound though.

You've obviously never given Slipknot a proper listen.
    I am MAN wrote:
    Yes....sell by image. I'm sure their image makes a huge contribution to their sound.

Yes....sell by image. I'm sure their image makes a huge contribution to their sound.

Image obviously has nothing to do with sound obviously and the reason I said that is because I cant comprehend believing they have talent or a good sound.

Kiddy music is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Individually they can do some cool things. Mick Thompson is a shredder, no doubt about it, but what he does with Slipknot doesn't show what he can do at all. Here's a question, why do they wear the masks and overalls if it's not to help sell CD's? The comment you derided was that they use their image to sell music, which they unquestionably do. And how is listening to them going to show how kneeling on a set of bongos on top of a cherrypicker adds to their sound praytell? A good band can do everything Slipknot do and more without nine members. They simply do not need them. They're not an overly technical band.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Oh lord. This topic again.

My case in point for how pointless the extraneous members of Slipknot are is the live video of them playing Duality on Jay Leno. The clown fellah. He dances around for the whole song. He hits a metal can with a baseball bat about 6, maybe 7 times. that's his contribution. The other "percussionist" does nothing, sits on top of his bongos. The synthesizer and turntable guys just sit up the back headbanging, hidden away so it's not too obvious they're not doing anything.

• Advertisement

I have and I like a lot of there stuff but my question was why have 3 extra guys that aren't, or don't appear to be adding anything musically to the band. If it's important to have " a metal can hit with a baseball bat about 6, maybe 7 times" then why not have the the guy who does the samples do it?

I'm not trying to diss them , I just don't see what's added by the extra members, although clearly the band do...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

here's the dealy:

9 members:

dj (looping, scratching, etc.)
    2 guitars
    bass
    singer
    drummer
    2 percussionists (listen to the records and you can hear their contribution. if you can't tell the difference between joey's bass drums and their drums, you are tone deaf)
    1 samples guy (..he takes samples. he used to be the guitarist but wasn't particularly fast, so he writes moreso then plays)

yes, the 2 percussionists and sampler could be spared but there would be a noticable difference. and in terms of a live show where chaos ensues, they can't be touched.

as for the whole image thing, if you buy any cd because of image you're a true shmuck. if you diss a band because of their image then you're a bigger shmuck. if you dislike the music, so be it... but that has nothing to do with their suits and masks. when everyone brings this issue up they never mention kiss, mushroomhead or other bands who do exactly the same thing, so take your "that's not real music" elitist bull**** elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

The other 2 percussionist fellow's have 2 diffrent types of drum kits, you can hear them on some songs, most of the time they do nothing tho, you can hear one of the other drum kits well in the intro to 'Prosthetics', not sure exactly what the other kit sounds like.

As for selling on image, why do black metal bands wear that wierd makeup? are they also talentless spanner's selling purely on image?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭[ Daithí ]

Have any of you ever seen Slipknot's "Disasterpieces" DVD? I have it, and I can tell you that from watching that concert that every member of the band has an important role to play.

Shawn and Chris give a distinctive sounds to the songs. No, they're not to take the pressure off Joey's double bass drum runs. Listen to songs like "Gently" and you'll hear them all the way through. Craig (samples) has a huge role on "Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses", sampling sounds that wouldn't be possible otherwise. Sid (DJ).. well.. I suppose he works in line with Craig. He stands out on songs like "Eyeless".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

They could just replace craig with a roadie or have one of the percussionists playing his stuff. Feckit, put sid doing the samples and get rid of another percussionist. They would be fine with 7, 9 is just ott.

Splitting their money 9 ways - no wonder they complain about being broke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Drums

0utshined wrote:
    I was listening to some Slipknot songs there and was trying to figure out what they all do. I mean I can make out the drums, guitar, bass, vocals and some of the samples but that still leaves 3 guys over. What do they do exactly? Why do they need a DJ? Are they just for the live show or do they actually add anything to the sound that the others couldn't? Anyone?

the rest do some vocals and percussion..... Which basically means hit things with baseball bats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭A$$A$$IN

Shawn Crahan aka The Clown is an idiot he has no purpose in the band yet apparently pulls alot of strings behind the scenes never the less he is an idiot don't really mind any1 else in the band

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

As for the samples.. do you really need a guy on stage to hit "play" a few times a song?

Actually, sampling holds their newest album together. Listen to it. There's a lot of sampling.

Actually, sampling holds their newest album together. Listen to it. There's a lot of sampling.

It's funny watching the excuses come, you cant justify Slipknot having 9 members at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

I am MAN wrote:
    It's funny watching the excuses come, you cant justify Slipknot having 9 members at all.
    why does anyone have to justify slipknot having 9 members to you?

they all serve a purpose, you don't have to like it. i don't see why it makes a lick of difference to anyone anyway.

"it's like 9 layers. 9 layers of pure music" - shawn (clown)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

"it's like 9 layers. 9 layers of pure music" - shawn (clown)
    yeah but two of those layers are percussions.

its like they didn't have the guts to tell some band members they weren't needed

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

the percussionists do backing vocals aswell. not alot, but they do it.
    i suppose they probably help write the sings and stuff too.

I am MAN wrote:

I don't need to justify it to you. I'm explaining why they have nine members to everyone else. Since you don't like Slipknot, why are you here? To annoy people who do enjoy their music?

I don't need to justify it to you. I'm explaining why they have nine members to everyone else. Since you don't like Slipknot, why are you here? To annoy people who do enjoy their music?

If thats what you call it.

Obviously that's what I call it.

Got nothing better to do than point out the obvious in order to raise your post count?

Obviously that's what I call it.

Got nothing better to do than point out the obvious in order to raise your post count?

I could not care less about my post count, Why the hell would I care what my post count is? How will this benefit me?.

As for Slipknot...I think they are untalented, I dont agree with anything they do and I believe that having 9 members in the band is overkill totally unecessary plus I disagree with anyone who tries to justify all of there unique little roles for the simple fact I just dont see it.

Why would someone need to justify something that is fact? Have you even listened to their latest album? Wait, stupid question. You probably haven't.

Why would someone need to justify something that is fact? Have you even listened to their latest album? Wait, stupid question. You probably haven't.

I dont believe it to be fact. Of course I have not got their latest album, why would I waste my money buying it if I think so little of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

They only have 6 members on the MFKR EP, although its the only thing of theirs I could actually say I liked anymore, you can definately hear alot more going on in the songs during the later releases.

Advertisement