Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing your cars oil

Options
  • 28-02-2005 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭

Ive been told by numerous people that oil levels are crucial in alfas, my qn is when it needa oil can i just buy some good stuff and pour it in or does it need to be the same as whats there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Your car manual will have a range of recommendations but don't buy cheap stuff. You will only end up putting more in and you could possibly damage your engine. A lot of oils these days are generic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Oil levels are crucial in all cars and Alfas aren't special in this regard. The older ones would consume oil at an alarming rate but this was fairly normal - the 164 2.5 and 3.0 V6's would use a litre every 2,000 kms. The problem only occurs if you let the level fall below a safe point and engine damage is done. If your car has an Alfa service history, it will have been filled with Selenia oil at the dealer and you should buy a litre and keep the level topped up to just below the upper mark on the dipstick. Check it every saturday and note whether it is consuming the oil at any great rate. The 156 isn't an oil-hungry monster but depending on your driving style and the state of the car, it might need an odd top up. If the car hasn't been dealer serviced, then try and find out what it was filled with an top it up with that - don't mix mineral oils and synthetics if you can help it.

kbannon had a link to something called the 'oil bible' with lots of good advice regarding oil choice - see if unkel will dig it out for you, he's a helpful chap.

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Mike65 had a link to something called the 'oil bible' with lots of good advice regarding oil choice

twas kbannon actually in this thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

unkel wrote:
    twas kbannon actually in this thread :)
    Damn you memory-man and your uncanny ability to use technology to find what you want. I want to be like you - you are my hero (do you have a special suit with a big 'U' on it?)

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

does it need to be the same as whats there?
    I would say yes. I don't like mixing different types of oil (or any other fluids) as I fear there may be some sort of adverse "reaction" although I have no proof of this. When topping up oil, I like to use the exact same brand and grade as what's in there already. This may be a bit OTT but i'd say you definitely shouldn't mix fully synthetic with mineral oil or two oils with very different viscosities. You also shouldn't mix different types of antifreeze/coolant or mix dot 4 brake fluid with dot 5 etc.

Also, as regards oil check whether your car requires fully synthetic oil or not. No need to get it unless the manufacturer recommends it. Semi synthetic is fine for my laguna and it is only changed every 18,000 miles with the car using little or no oil between changes. Your Alfa would have a more highly stressed engine so it may need synthetic and may have shorter service intervals....

BrianD3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

Cyrus,
    after eventually taking Alfasudcrazy's advice i joined www.alfaowner.com, if you look through the threads there will answer any/all questions on your 156, there is also a link to the 156 service manual. Also have a look at www.shop4parts.co.uk. i saved a fortune. Only problem with them is that they will not deliver, so you will have to arrange a 'reverse pickup' with Interlink or suchlike.

to answer your question,

yes much more crucial than other single cylinder spark engines. (your car is a T spark?)

i think you need a good syntethic, 0W40 or 10W40 (would have to check that) and would expect to change oil every 6K (again check service manual)

(small note on shop4parts, was quoted 350 for plugs from grandons in cork, on shop4parts about 80, a variator 250, shop4parts 100)

join alfawoner, post there, a lot of the guys really seem to know their stuff and are very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

so you will have to arrange a 'reverse pickup' with Interlink or suchlike.

..........wouldn't that just be a "COLLECTION" ?? ;)

Advertisement