Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Would you like to see a separate Modified Cars sub-forum in Boards/Motors?

Options
  • 28-02-2005 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭

Having seen the success of the Classic Cars sub forum and noticed a rise in the number of requests from new car owners for advice on starting to modify their cars, I would like know if YOU would like to see a place where the important details of three-colour flip paint schemes (damn tricky) and how to work out the wheel offset of your car to suit the 17" alloys you would like to fit, can be discussed.

Think hard about the answer and remember, I don't have the power to set up a sub forum I'm just testing public opinion. My last attempt at a poll was flamed mercilessly - lets see how this goes.

'cptr

Would you like to see a Modified Cars sub forum? 50 votes

Yes - there is sufficient discussion to merit such a change
    0% 0 votes
    No - it is a passing fad and will go away if I ignore it
    100% 50 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

ahh yeh sure why not

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Good idea probably have quite an active forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Yes I would - while classics are my 'thing' and I am a stickler for originality in classics I am amused and interested in modified cars. The thought of sticking a large whale type spoiler to the back of my GT would appall me but I don't mind looking at other cars which have been so modified.
    Its a great pass time for young people - and im going to sound like a right old daddy now - but isnt it a much better way to spend their money - than on drink or drugs.
    Yes I would def approve :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Thanks for the replies - keep them coming and don't forget to vote in the poll.

Hey AlfaCrazy any chance of a spin in the GT?... Alfa dealer in Galway closed - no more test drives of cars I can't afford.

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

In favour. People for and against modding seem to clash here regularly. In a dedicated sub-forum the modders can modify away and won't upset anyone :)

Agree that it has worked out well for both motors for sale and classic cars subforums

In fairness, the traffic on cruiseirl is very slow, no pun intended

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm not opposed to such a notion if it seperates those who Mod from those who dont and so prevents much argumentative bandwith being wasted on the main board. Just dont ask me to er mod it.

edit. feck it Unkel, you said everything I said only quicker! Bah.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

In favour.

I'm toying with the idea of building a car PC for my Golf, from what I've seen here there seems to be a fair bit of interest in it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Yes please !!!

The sooner I don't have to read another " How do I fit a bodykit to my gimpmobile ? " thread, the better !!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

What's left for this forum?

The classic cars section has been a huge success but I wouldn't be surprised if interest dropped over time. I could see a modified forum being the same. It'd probably be mostly links to other sites. I could put a shameless plug for a friend's site here...........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Where do you decide whats modded or not?

For example, if i buy a stock Golf and then put say 17" alloys and maybe a spoiler... is that a modded car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

What's left for this forum?
    In fairness, of the 30 threads on my first screen, only one is directly about modding, a second is about boy racers, so it's about 50/50 ;) Point being, there will still be plenty of traffic on the main motors board.

IMO slapping on a new set of alloys, or a CD player don't make a modded car, but anything involving your stereo having more power than the engine definitely does!

Yeah, go for the sub forum, and if there's no traffic it can always be pulled back in to motors later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I voted yes.

Modding cars is becoming more popular. Hell even i am considering a body kit for my motor... if i can ever afford one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

Oh yuss! :D

I hope this goes ahead, as it's becoming a major pain in the arse clashing with people on Boards that don't share the same interests as us! :)

I have voted yes, and shall tell all my friends!

Soon we'll have stickers and sun strips on our windows sayin: BOARDS-Modded :D

Borzoi wrote:
    In fairness, of the 30 threads on my first screen, only one is directly about modding, a second is about boy racers, so it's about 50/50 ;) Point being, there will still be plenty of traffic on the main motors board.

IMO slapping on a new set of alloys, or a CD player don't make a modded car, but anything involving your stereo having more power than the engine definitely does!

Yeah, go for the sub forum, and if there's no traffic it can always be pulled back in to motors later.
    And I'm not sure what the definition is either but I want to see if Boards.ie users would like a separate forum where they could ask and not be flamed.

I think the rule is if you think its modified, then it probably is. If someone with a Jap import Junspeed Supra thinks a Golf with big wheels doesn't count then its the same as the someone with an unmodified 1.4 saloon who doesn't see the point in making their car different to all the others.

I am constantly messing with cars - fitting induction kits, wide-bore throttle bodies and fuel additives to try and get some extra performance. I don't see myself as a boy racer (I'm nearly 40) but I don't see any point posting in the main Motors forum as my interests tend to be focussed on very specific problems (how do I mate the four Suzuki Hayabusa throttlebodies to the Punto 1242cc 16v engine on my garage floor?).

I also have a '69 mini bodyshell and a '92 1275cc Metro engine to go into it - I'll need advice shortly on how to get the whole lot together (anyone got a set of Cooper 10" discs and calipers knocking around?) Does this belong in Classic or Modified? I'm not sure, but I don't want to hear from all the civic-minded individuals who wish to point out how hard it will be to get insurance for it (I'm not going to tell anybody its got a big engine and I won't crash it)

Keep voting and keep your opinions coming - thanks.

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Silvera wrote:
    Yes please !!!

The sooner I don't have to read another " How do I fit a bodykit to my gimpmobile ? " thread, the better !!! :D
    That why I voted yes too!

MrP

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I also have a '69 mini bodyshell and a '92 1275cc Metro engine to go into it - I'll need advice shortly on how to get the whole lot together (anyone got a set of Cooper 10" discs and calipers knocking around?) Does this belong in Classic or Modified?
    That depends.

Are you building it to look like a '69 Mini, or a Funderland bumper-car? I would say either forum as your questions will pique the interest of both groups.

And yes to a new modding forum. Just because I like classics doesn't confine me to that forum. The same thing can apply to Modders.

CHEERS

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭clairey

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes :D

Are you building it to look like a '69 Mini, or a Funderland bumper-car?
    I am going to make it look like the sort of car the 'criminals' would drive on an episode of Heartbeat (the '60's cop drama). It will be low, noisy, smelly and fast, with classic leather bucket seats and a raspy centre-exit exhaust. I have the 10"x6" Mamba wheels for it already...

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

While I do have fast cars and classics, im not into modding at all, my Z came with greddy/razo stuff etc, but im not putting anything else on it, but I voted yes, simply cos any modding posts get hounded by many ppl just cos they are not into it. Give them a sub forum, Im sure I will look at it/post on it too, but it will stop them getting so much crap off ppl for something they like doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Yes - there is sufficient discussion to merit such a change

Maybe not enough discusion about it cause people always get slated in the first reply that modding is bad, uggly, sad, stuppid etc....

As long as there's none of that in a new sub forum ill be glad to post in it at a regular basis

Jozi

• Advertisement

There was less interest in this than I had imagined - but it was worth asking just to see. 34 votes isn't going blow anyone away, much less the powers that be who pay the electricity bill at Boards Inc.

Thanks to all who voted - and for the many interesting, open-minded opinions...

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Boards.ie gonna pimp yo' ride :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

There was less interest in this than I had imagined - but it was worth asking just to see. 34 votes isn't going blow anyone away, much less the powers that be who pay the electricity bill at Boards Inc.

Thanks to all who voted - and for the many interesting, open-minded opinions...

'c
    34 is more then some places in here have . id say go ask

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yup, I mean they have a David Hassle-ma-hof forum... this is far less stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭camarobill

hi all new here,ten years ago when i got me first car there wasent much in the way of modifing car parts or shops to get the stuf u c today on these motors,a set off 13 inch 3 spokes and a go faster stripe was about it,iv only got classic motors now,the pint im trying to make is todays modifiers are tomorrows classic car owners,a car nut is a car nut,give them there own site and dont let the old folks nag em :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Yeah, I think it is a good idea to expand motors to have a modded car section. Might keep the monthly 'modded cars are crap' thread away.

Advertisement