Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killer7:the full lowdown!

Options
  • 01-03-2005 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭

many have wondered how this game will play and what it is actually about. well ign had a preview of it and it sounds sweet

"Clear your mind of everything you think you know about video games. Forget the cliched storylines. Forget the profit-driven sequels that never take a risk. Forget the dozens upon dozens of titles that you've played over the years, enjoyed, and then quickly let drop from your memory. A new dawn is rising.

We are about to experience an event so radical that it may well change the very way people think about video games. Decades from now, when critics like us and players like you sit around the table and talk about our hobby, we are going to do so with a new frame of reference: Before Killer 7 and After Killer 7. And the reason for this is very simple: Playing Killer 7 is unlike anything you have ever done before.

That isn't a statement that we make lightly, and we're not tossing it out there just to get your attention. Killer 7 is groundreaking and revolutionary in almost every way. It will frustrate you. It will intrigue you. It will challenge your very notions of what a game can do, and even what it should do. It is, in essense, the very first video game art film, and it attempts things that no one else has every dared. Does it succeed? Perhaps, in the end, that will be for history to decide."

Nintendo Power managed to be the first to unveil exactly what this game is about (it's also their cover for the issue), so here are some juicy details:

-The Smith Syndicate/Smith Alliance/Killer 7 are seven personalities of one Harman Smith. Garcian, Dan, Kaede (the woman with the bloodied shirt), Keven, Coyote, Con, and Mask de Smith. Each has their own weapon and ability, and you can switch between them on the fly. You can also level up all of them (excluding Garcian) in four different skills by collecting the blood of enemies and taking it to the Blood Room.

-So is it a rail-shooter/light-gun game or what? Well, yes and no. Gameplay consists of running around locations, shooting monsters, solving puzzles. Movement seems to only use the A button; press it to make the character run. The game is essentially on-rails, with some forks in the road (where you can choose which path to take). When an enemy approaches, you switch to a FPS perspective and bring out your weapon with the R button. Pressing B will let you lock on, while A fires. One of the Killer 7, Garcian Smith, can resurrect the other personalities, but if Garcian dies, it's game over buddy. The puzzles sound very unique, like listening to audio clues from a tape recorder, or shoving a tanker truck to reveal a disembodied head with a ring inside.

-However, what's most compelling about the game is the story and mood, they say. Killer 7 "tackles some extremely disturbing subject matter," "this is not a game for children...In fact, it's probably not a game for some adults. It's extremely violent, often profane, and deals with such topics as sex, cults, kidnapping, political assassinations, black-market organ sales and full-scale war." Also some "very bold political statements".

-"The year is 2010. In 1998, the major powers of the world signed a peace treaty that elminated the specter of a large-scale war--leaving terrorism as the remaining threat to world peace. In an effort to stop terrorism before it could start, air transportation was eliminated and massive freeways were constructed to connect the eastern and western sides of the world. All was going well until a terrorist group known as Heaven's Smile bombed a high-level UN meeting in 2003 and quickly gripped the world community with fear. In an effort to combat the faction, the US government turned to the Smith Syndicate. Its job is to find Heavent's Smile, eliminate the group and restore peace and order to the world. But all is not as simple as it seems on the surface..."

-As for the Heaven's Smile, they're basically invisible (with a faint shimmer). The only way to make them appear is by going into FPS mode with the L button, so you'll have to rely on sound to know when danger's around. When you come within range of an enemy, it lets loose with a high-pitched cackle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Cool, sounds good. I wasn't sure about this game, but I'm interested now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

ive been very interested in this since i heard about it first myself, but i heard not too long ago that you didnt actually control the player and you kinda got brought into battles likean rpg. but this sounds interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Viewtiful Joe 2, Resi 4 and now this... man i love my cube :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

tman wrote:
    Viewtiful Joe 2, Resi 4 and now this... man i love my cube :)

Fook Yea!!!!
    I got my cube for xmas and i havent put the controller down since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

www.newtechnix.com have had in game vids for quite some time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

The cube kicks ass,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

yea this sounds like the dogs schnitzels, I can't wait to see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

oops

A near-final and beatable build has been leaked on the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

I remember when capcom released their 'games for 2005' ages ago with stuff like 'RE4' and a since cancelled game called 'Dead Phoenix' and of course Killer7... looked grounbreaking then and now even more so... definitely one for the pile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

ShevY wrote:
    oops

A near-final and beatable build has been leaked on the net.

Ive been tempted to give that a go. Whats the release date?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

looking forward to this..have to get a cube though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

its on ps2 too but was designed for the cube so the cube one will probably be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Have any reviews appeared since the leak?

Advertisement