Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News: GBA2 To Be Shown within 3 Months!

Options
  • 01-03-2005 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭

Nintendo is to showcase the GBA2 at the next E3, which takes place in mid-May. Find out the details inside.

It has been revealed that Nintendo plan to show off the GBA2 at the next E3, which begins May 17th. The unit will apparently have a large high-quality back-lit screen, as well as analogue controls.

With the emergence of the GBA2 fans may be wondering, "what's the point of the DS?" Well apparently at E3 Nintendo will be showing off software that will make the DS more like a PDA.

According to Spong the new GBA2 will be based around the GameCube hardware, but that seems like a bit of a jump from the GBA. Still, more will be seen in May.

me, i dont like the sound of this cause it sounds like the ds wont really be a proper games machine and it will just be the second runner to this. this sounds more like a psp from nintendo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Yea, sounds like they're trying to steal some of the market back from the psp.
    This is very unexcepted tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Are you serious? Nintendo DS users...does this bother you?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT ?!?!?!?!

Is this going to be more powerful than the DS ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

well if its gamecube capabilities then i assume so!

kinda makes you think about gettin a ds or wait. im gonna get a ds anywho

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

linkys of any kind?

• Advertisement

all ive got is where i got my info from.

www.cube-europe.com

• Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Wow, that was quick - Nintendo must feel really threatened by the PSP...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Wow, that was quick - Nintendo must feel really threatened by the PSP...

Nintendo had always maintained that the DS would not replace the gameboy series of hardware, but rather exist alongside it. This is certainly not a kneejerk reaction to the PSP, especially if they have hardware ready to show at E3. And they're not trying to steal the market back from the PSP. That product is still in the early-adopter phase, and has very limited market share.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Was expecting this tbh. As Balfa says, they DS was never a replacement/successor. It's a seperate thing. Now they'll have two very cool looking handhelds on the market, next to Sonys one. All bodes well for them if they manage to do it right... although I think at this stage I'll wait for more info on GBA2 before splasing out on the DS.

Edit : Reading through the comments on cube-europe; people talking about the possibility that it will read GC discs. Not sure how realistic that is (knowing how these things go, they'll probably be hopeing to sell you the games a second time) but it would be ****ing sweet if true. Instent catalog of all the old Cube games, plus what ever new things they decide to make for it.

although having said all this, isn't spong kinda dodgy for posting rumours and lies as news?

Anyway, i don't care about none of it, all i want is Revolution :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I wouldn't have bought my DS if I'd known about this.. the console has a tough enough time against the PSP without Nintendo saturating the market even more themselves...
    Isn't the SP only 2 years old? So that means 3 different handheld consoles released in 3 years. Thats just ridiculous.

Balfa wrote:
    although having said all this, isn't spong kinda dodgy for posting rumours and lies as news?

CNN.com are a bit more reliable maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

This is crazy. I was ticked off that there'd be two big handhelds, and now they're going to split it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

GC capabilities for $99? :rolleyes: sound a bit iffy... wait 'til GDC and E3, then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Always thought the Gamecube media was perfect for a portable, and given the lack of any real movement of gamecube hardware and software in the west it would be a perfect way of grabbing a market, no new hardware to develop, a ton of software already on the market, dev kits already in the hands of developers.
    Also the machine is a great games machine.
    I can see it now, Metroid Prime 2 on the move, people seeing me swearing at my lap on the bus.

The SP isn't 2 years old, its just an Advance with a backlight.
    And the advance, like the color was simply too underpowered to be really cool.
    We have all been waiting for this announcement.
    Who among you were not just a little disappointed with the DS' lack of processing power.
    This will sort it out.
    And there is plenty of room in the market for three machines.

Just imagine how the owners of Gizmondos must feel!
    Is there any out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I see in this article that Nintendo is aiming the new GBA at younger gamers. Does that mean there'll be more Yu-Gi-Oh / Disney games, and less Metroid Primes / Zelda games ??

The article states that the GBA has always been geared towards younger gamers, unlike the DS which is trying for the older market. If that hasn't bothered you in the past (GBA/SP), no need for it to do so now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Ill be very annoyed if I have to shell out for this less then a year after getting my DS... Still if its an amazing bit of kit that might take the sting out of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Rew wrote:
    Ill be very annoyed if I have to shell out for this less then a year after getting my DS... Still if its an amazing bit of kit that might take the sting out of it...

It will never be as good as the media or even fanboys make it out to be...but that is the same with most things...how many times have we seen "lifelike movie graphics..." ye my arse...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

By the looks of things the GBA2 and DS will be about as different as the GBA1 and DS, I can imagine the GBA2 being more of a graphical advance than a new concept like the DS, and I'd say the DS will be aimed more and more at adults (with PDA tools it will certainly be attractive to younger people who would need a palmtop for work anyway) and the GBA, as usual being a kids console.
    I just hope that the different directions don't go too far, I'd hate to see no cool "kids" titles like Mario on the DS in future, and I'm sure GBA2 owners would hate to just have Spyro to play with.
    I'm still happy to get the DS, I'm not big into handhelds but this has really gotten my attention, being able to use it as a PDA would be cool too, I've been thinking about getting one of those too :D

I just want to see the Revolution...

flogen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    The SP isn't 2 years old, its just an Advance with a backlight.
    It's front lit actually... that's why it doesn't look all that great. But when you stick a GBA cartridge in the DS with it's backlighting it looks lovely...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

although I think at this stage I'll wait for more info on GBA2 before splasing out on the DS.

and this is why this announcment is a very bad marketing idea. makes it seem like the ds is not worthwhile.

worse its before the ds is even launched in europe.

ahh well europe always was the backhole of nintendo's markets

but still too soon after ds launch in us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

It's just another remodelled GBA, it says here: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=58091

Not as full of hate for my DS as I was last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

That 'news' is the usual spong ****e, they are THE least credible games info source on the web, even AERTEL's game bit is better:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Judging by the Eurogamer article it sounds like this new GBA will be based on the old game technology but with added multimedia capabilities, probably the ability to use some form of smart media to listen to MP3s and watch DivX videos, with a better screen. It is probably in response to Sonys positioning of the PSP as an all round multimedia device, and less likely the threat of multimedia phones and media players that can play better and better games.

I would say we will see a Gameboy 3 in a few years, but not even Nintendo would be stupid enough to announce it only a few months after releasing the DS. They went to such an effort to say the DS was not going to kill of the Gameboy, (ie. please still buy Gameboys, we need the money!) they would not kill off the DS by releasing a new system so soon.

it only says it will be shown within 3 months not that it will be released any time soon!

Goodshape wrote:
    CNN.com are a bit more reliable maybe.

Heheh, the cnn news article is about an industry analyst's speculation on whether or not nintendo is due to release another handheld this year. It's about as concrete as a mango smoothie.
    Blitzkrieg wrote:
    and this is why this announcment is a very bad marketing idea.

Go on, jump on the rumour bandwagon. what announcement???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭smokingman

Jesus people! - use your heads on this.

Think about it, are Ninty likely to flood the market with 3 different handhelds at the same time - no, don't be thick.
    It doesn't make basic economical sense and a 5 year old would be able to figure that out instead of believing any old cr*p on the net....

I've read that aliens live in peoples shoes on the net....does that mean it's true? Boll*x it does.....

Nintendo are always cagey about their secrets and you should learn to only believe official press releases instead of possible sony/M$ generated conjecture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

The picture on Kotaku looks kinda like ti's a GBASP with a SNES cart adaptor thingy, could be cool:)

obviosly this is just my opinion and NOT to be quoted as fact etc...

:D

Advertisement