Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linksys WRT54G firewall

• 01-03-2005 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

I have a Linksys WRT54g with firmware version 3.03.6.

I have enabled the firewall via the web interface and selected the "Block Anonymous Internet Requests" option. According to the manual this does:

"By enabling the Block WAN Request feature, you can prevent your network from being "pinged," or detected, by other Internet users. The Block WAN Request feature also reinforces your network security by hiding your network ports. Both functions of the Block WAN Request feature make it more difficult for outside users to work their way into your network. This feature is enabled by default. Uncheck to disable this feature."

However when I go to ShieldsUp! and do a common ports scan all the ports show as Closed and gives me the following results:

Solicited TCP Packets: RECEIVED (FAILED) — As detailed in the port report below, one or more of your system's ports actively responded to our deliberate attempts to establish a connection. It is generally possible to increase your system's security by hiding it from the probes of potentially hostile hackers. Please see the details presented by the specific port links below, as well as the various resources on this site, and in our extremely helpful and active user community.

Unsolicited Packets: PASSED — No Internet packets of any sort were received from your system as a side-effect of our attempts to elicit some response from any of the ports listed above. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system remained wisely silent. (Except for the fact that not all of its ports are completely stealthed as shown below.)

Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) — Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet. Most personal firewalls can be configured to block, drop, and ignore such ping requests in order to better hide systems from hackers. This is highly recommended since "Ping" is among the oldest and most common methods used to locate systems prior to further exploitation.

Is the firewall on the WRT54G broken?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

No.

The firewall can be set on the outside ethernet or on that and the wireles and inside ethernet

did you firewall the inside or the outside ?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Gandorf

It turns out that what the port scanner is seeing is my ISPs firewall, and they block all incoming connections. I wish they had told me that before I signed up.

Advertisement