Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some STT decisions

Options
  • 01-03-2005 8:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭

Im playing STTS again after a long break, Im currently multitabling $25 stts on VC, here are a few interesting decisions for which I wasnt prepared. As a side note I think being an expert at stts gives you a huge advantage in MTTS over cash game players and run of the mill mtt players. Anway

Hand 1, Im on the Button with AQs. Players are all run of the mill (Im playing 4 or 5 games at once so players get categorised very loosely). Blinds are 50 100 and I have 3k. 4 players left and its folded to me on the button. I make it 400 (my standard raise) and the BB calls. The flop is 10 5 4 with two diamonds (I have Diamonds). He checks to me. Anyone check here? I bet 1200. He calls, and pushes immediately on the turn which is a rag. So its 1400 to me to call into a pot which will be about 6k. Call, Fold?

Hand 2, I have QQ on the CC. Im 2nd in chips with about 5k. Blinds are 100 200. The chip leader makes it 1k to go utg. This means he has a very good hand. Im not sure how good but I dont think hes raising with less than 10 10 here. Everyone else is shortstacked. Call, fold or reraise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Hand 1, Im on the Button with AQs. Players are all run of the mill (Im playing 4 or 5 games at once so players get categorised very loosely). Blinds are 50 100 and I have 3k. 4 players left and its folded to me on the button. I make it 400 (my standard raise) and the BB calls. The flop is 10 5 4 with two diamonds (I have Diamonds). He checks to me. Anyone check here? I bet 1200. He calls, and pushes immediately on the turn which is a rag. So its 1400 to me to call into a pot which will be about 6k. Call, Fold?
    You don't mention how much the player knows about you or how you've accumalated that 3k. If it's your usual 'style' ;) then it's quite possible that he has nothing and is sick of your bullying. It's also possible that he has a good hand (10x where x is a picture card or an ace). Him pushing on the turn seems funny. Why didn't he push on the flop! I'd put him on 10x and fold even though you have the odds (possible 15 outs).
    Hand 2, I have QQ on the CC. Im 2nd in chips with about 5k. Blinds are 100 200. The chip leader makes it 1k to go utg. This means he has a very good hand. Im not sure how good but I dont think hes raising with less than 10 10 here. Everyone else is shortstacked. Call, fold or reraise?
    I'd call and see what he does after the flop. An A or K on flop and a bet from him i'd fold. A low flop and a limp bet i'd reraise. A low flop and a high bet i'd worry and dunno what i'd do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

You've committed about half your stack already, what would he call with preflop and on that flop? AT, or more likely TT, 55 or 44. It's also possible that he's holding JJ or KK. So in essence he could have one of your out cards, but hitting an A or Q as well as any of the diamonds may well give you the pot.

I think I'd call here, probably the wrong thing to do, but if I win this pot I'm going to be in a great position for the rest of the game, and I think I've a good chance of doing that.

I'm presuming that everyone else has folded around to you? So the question is do you want to risk your stack when you're in a strong position.

UTG would he make this raise with AA or KK? Personally I think I'd just of called and hoped that one or two of the shortstacks commited themselves and then call their raise. From that point of view I'd put him on TT, JJ or maybe AKs a good hand but one where he doesn't really want to get involved with 3 or 4 players.

I'd call and if the flop was kind bet 1500-2000 in front of him

I'm knocked out of both tables right? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

First hand, you overplayed your flush draw. you've dug the hole and you are up to your neck in it now. I suppose you have to push them in and hope (i would fold). STT are purely about survival....i think a small bet on the flop would have saved you money, got him on the back foot after your preflop raise...may even get you a free/cheap river for a smaller outlay since it looks like a trap with a large PP.....

Second hand, fold.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I'm folding both hands here.
    Hand 1 I agree with the bet on the flop but he has told you quite clearly he has hit something and you have nothing so I would let it go.
    Second hand in an STT I am not getting into an arguement with the chip leader. If you have a good stack in an STT then your prey are the smaller stacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭AmarilloFats

Hand 1:
    It’s hard to put villain on a hand you can beat(at this time). Which is important if you are going to call. If you fold you’ll have 14BB left. If you call you possibly need a diamond…Perhaps the remaining A’s and Q’s are good.. Pre Flop the raise is standard….Flop: Checking or Pushing!!! The size of your bet 1200..makes you pot stuck…Turn you are now in a horrible situation…And the only way I can see to avoid it is to check or push the flop…Check..Not sure though

Hand 2:
    If the range of hands you put villain on is AK,AA,KK,JJ ,TT
    He can have AK 16ways, AA 6 ways, KK 6 Ways..So there are 12 hands your miles behind 16 hands your slightly ahead of. And (JJ, TT) 12 hands your miles ahead of..You (from what you’ve said) can’t raise PF. I think the best play here is to fold…Calling is ok but just to hit your set…But I think folding is best. Except if you think he would lay AK down…But, everyone else is shortstacked..So why put yourself in jeopardy…Don’t be tempted top play back at him on a rag flop if you do call…..!!!

Nice hands..Cheers for posting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

If I am your opponent, I put you on overcards with a flush draw here and would make the same move when a rag falls on the turn. Depends on the player, I am liable to disbelieve anyone has a made hand when they overbet from position, unless I know the only bet with hands. If you check here you may get to see the river cheaply - do you want to be in a position to bust on a draw? If it hits you may still get some more chips if he has a hand.

Flat call, you still have plenty left. I dont think I can fold QQ to raise. If he is a good player and does not have KK or AA he is going to be cautious of this move and you may get a cheap showdown unless he hits a big hand. Of course if you hit a queen you become massive chip leader ( unless you get cold decked ). Other stacks are important here, who are the blinds ? If you are BB he may feel you wont play against him without a premium hand so his hand value may be less. If you are not a blind he may be just be pressuring and expect you to leave him to it unless you have a big hand. What i am trying to say is that you cannot make a decision here without other factors than just his raise and your stack sizes. QQ is not a reraising hand ( against a stack who can bust you) in this situation so that is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Shortstack wrote:
    Flat call, you still have plenty left. I dont think I can fold QQ to raise. If he is a good player and does not have KK or AA he is going to be cautious of this move and you may get a cheap showdown unless he hits a big hand. Of course if you hit a queen you become massive chip leader ( unless you get cold decked ). Other stacks are important here, who are the blinds ? If you are BB he may feel you wont play against him without a premium hand so his hand value may be less. If you are not a blind he may be just be pressuring and expect you to leave him to it unless you have a big hand. What i am trying to say is that you cannot make a decision here without other factors than just his raise and your stack sizes. QQ is not a reraising hand ( against a stack who can bust you) in this situation so that is out.

This guy, and most of the players at this level are thinking only of their own cards, I was on the BB which I somehow managed to type as CC last night. Its interesting that you said QQ was not a reraising hand, I would often reraise with it against looseish raisers (so at the $25 level this is almost everyone) hoping to end the hand there, I almost never call raises in stts (bar with small pairs) if my hand isnt good enough to raise I would dump it.

Well the 1st hand I autocalled, once I bet on the flop I was committed, but Im pretty sure this is a mistake in terms of $EV.

The second hand I raised all in, he called with AK and my QQ stood up. Its a funny situation as all three options have their advantages. You cant call and hope to sit a set though as the raise is 1/5 of your stack. Normally I wouldnt dream of folding QQ to a single raise but in this situation there is no need to play the hand, and against his likely range of holdings my equity isnt that big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

This guy, and most of the players at this level are thinking only of their own cards, I was on the BB which I somehow managed to type as CC last night. Its interesting that you said QQ was not a reraising hand, I would often reraise with it against looseish raisers (so at the $25 level this is almost everyone)

But Hector you are a far looser player than I ! Fairplay though, I forgot you were on about VC, QQ is nearly always a reraising hand there. I mostly play STT on Pokerstars where you can find a lot of good players Multitabling at $25 and $50 levels. Of course 89s is good re raising hand too :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

A year ago the $25 STTs on VC were of a good standard but they have gone downhill very fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Hand 1, Im on the Button with AQs. Blinds are 50 100 and I have 3k. 4 players left and its folded to me on the button. I make it 400 (my standard raise) and the BB calls. The flop is 10 5 4 with two diamonds (I have Diamonds). He checks to me. Anyone check here? I bet 1200. He calls, and pushes immediately on the turn which is a rag. So its 1400 to me to call into a pot which will be about 6k. Call, Fold?
    Is the villain in this hand good enough to put you on overcards and know that his K10 is currently in the lead? I'd put him on Q10, K10, J10. I'd probably call, if you fold you've got feck all chips, if you win then you're more than likely to finish in the top 2.
    I wouldn't reraise, if he pushes all-in what do you do? Calling and seeing a flop would be my choice, if the flop comes lower than Q you get all your chips in, if an A or K comes on the flop see how your opponent plays it.
    I'd also see nothing wrong with folding in this situation. If you're correct that his UTG big raise means 1010-AA or AK then why get involved against the chip leader, QQ is just another hand.

One question, if you're playing 4 STT's at a time, how do you manage it when you get heads-up at a table? One headsup STT move so quickly with only 2 players I can't imagine how you'd keep control of possibly 2 short handed tables and 1 or 2 other STTs at the same time.

lafortezza wrote:

One question, if you're playing 4 STT's at a time, how do you manage it when you get heads-up at a table? One headsup STT move so quickly with only 2 players I can't imagine how you'd keep control of possibly 2 short handed tables and 1 or 2 other STTs at the same time.

I start them at staggered times which means that they are all at different stages, the 1st time I tried it I started them all at around the same time and ended up heads up in 3 or them at the same time. My strategy then had to be to push on any hand that looked pretty. I know that playing so many reduces my effectiveness when it gets shorthanded by a small margin, and heads up by a little more, but in terms of winrate its a good move. I play very very tight in stts so I dont have a whole lot of decisions to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 footoes

I start them at staggered times...

What gap do you leave? Fifteen minutes? Thirty minutes?

footoes wrote:
    What gap do you leave? Fifteen minutes? Thirty minutes?

5 or 10 mins is usually fine.

Advertisement