Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else sick of import prices?

Options
  • 01-03-2005 9:55am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭

This is a matter that has pissed me off for more years than I care to remember.
    Getting screwed by shops, online and otherwise, everytime I buy a title from Japan or US.
    Whats the deal?
    The average game in the states is only about 30 euro and when I order it here I get nailed and it works out at 50 euro.
    Nice mark-up!

I reckon its time for us to take back control.
    We have all found, through trial and error, places to pick up stuff reasonably.
    And I think it is up to the enlightened few to illuminate those people who still go to Mister Calculator and their ilk and get there pockets emptied.
    The PSP and DS are case and point.
    The prices people paid vary wildly.
    We should establish a number of links via a sticky thread that will bring the consumer to sites that do not overcharge.

I got lucky with my DS for example, Aheadgames.com sold it to me for 150 euro with shipping. Got it in 4 days. This is the type of thing I am talking about.
    Establish a buying history via a forum like this and who knows where it may lead.

We see people looking for some extraordinary prices for goods both here and on ebay, lets act together and protect those comsumers who are at risk from dodgy importers.

People who will ship with the goods marked as gift are to be pointed out. My mate got nailed with 50 euro import duty on a DS from Gamestop, it ended up costing him 220 euro. Not a nice surprise at all.

Any way what do you all think out there, pop up your links here to sites that offer value for money and lets save our few bob for whats its good for, buying more games!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i think www.lik-sang.com have free delivery on all import games at the moment. Games arent cheap but thats what you pay for PAL ones here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

last few games i bought off play asia have been significantly cheaper than what they would retail over here for.
    Resident Evil 4 - €37
    Xenosaga II(hah, over here) - €38
    Ridge Racers - €44
    Lumines - €44
    Zoo Keeper - €22
    Mr. Driller - €19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Brock

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    People who will ship with the goods marked as gift are to be pointed out. My mate got nailed with 50 euro import duty on a DS from Gamestop, it ended up costing him 220 euro. Not a nice surprise at all.
    I got hit with this too but the thing that annoyed me most about it was the UPS/DHl courier who know do not carry any money so i had to give the ****er a few euro as the dont have change its a big sham

but i know gamestop.com do a good few bundles for the ds
    usually ds,game and delivery around 170 euro

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You are shopping on the wrong sites. Everytime I get imports they end up much cheaper than what they cost when they eventually reach Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

It's a good idea - Im only getting into import games now but importing consoles can be another matter entirely.

I imported my PSP and was asked to pay 189 euro by customs. What. The. Hell. Is. That. About?

I ended up paying 115 (just for customs) but I know it's a different deal with games.

Let's see the list of reputable sites for Irish gamers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭savemejebus

For pre-order US games dvdsoon is hard to beat, the earlier you order the more competitive the price and they usually get shipped on time.

However, if the game is out a while then it's a toss up as to whether they have it in stock or not and if a game isn't in stock then you can be waiting a while.

Haven't chanced consoles from them but ordered box sets woth €120+ before (price of ds on their site) and didn't get caught by customs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=230759

A bit of a rush job, but please feel free to contribute.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=230759

A bit of a rush job, but please feel free to contribute.

In the section on memory cards the PS2 memory card does not need to be formatted for a japanese save. I've played the japanese version of Gradius V with a save file on my Euro formatted memory card with no problems.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer, you say we are buying from the wrong sites but do not suggest where we can buy and save, please let us know.
    The other thing is Gamestop.com has some good deals but as I said, mate got nailed on Import Duty because the game was delivered by a drone from UPS.
    Now when I got mine from aheadgames.com, it got to me in 4 days via global priority mail, and no import duty.
    The differences in these two postal services worked out at about 20 euro and the inport duty added another 50 euro, thats a whopping 70 notes on top of the original outlay.
    Not good.
    So is a partial answer to go for the sites that permit shipping via traditional methods or is it to find sites that will label goods as "gift"?

Advertisement