Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Traffic Announcement on Radio

Options
  • 01-03-2005 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭

Does the TA & TP function work on radios down South? My Dad was up the North at the weekend listening to a CD when all of a sudden, the CD stopped and a traffic announcement on the radio interrupted it, it has never happened in the Republic.....I like listening to CDs but still would like to hear to traffic announcements.
    Anyone any comments?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

All I ever get is beeps when it's switched on.

I know there are plenty of people driving around too, wondering where those fcuking beeps keep coming from... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

i remember not too long ago when it used to work and jump to 2fm for the traffic update.I think it is a broadcaster specific signal that needs to be sent and they probably dont do it anymore..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

gibo_ie wrote:
    I think it is a broadcaster specific signal that needs to be sent and they probably dont do it anymore..

It is broadcaster specific. It was first introduced in Germany in the 80's, and at the time, Blaupunkt radios were the only units with the feature. Now, all good head units have it. Its the same principal that enables you to 'see' the station you are listening to with its signature on the display.
    For a time, Newstalk 106 had it going for the on-the-hour news, but it soon stopped. I think the problem is that in Ireland, in any one area, you can pick up about 20 stations, national, local, and regional. So if only a handful of them had the Traffic Report and News alerts on them, your unit will go crazy looking for the strongest signal while you are driving - it will soon get head wrecking!

So it was stopped. In certain countries, there is a regulatory body which only allows a certain number of stations a certain distance apart to have these features.

Seanie.

Seanie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

RTE ran it for about 3 years, they did a survey of potential users and found no-one was was aware it existed - the service or what the button was for!

So they closed it.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mike65 wrote:
    RTE ran it for about 3 years, they did a survey of potential users and found no-one was was aware it existed - the service or what the button was for!

So they closed it.

Mike.

Only in ....... :)

Mind even the traffic updates on the main news are useless apart from the reporting of accidents

They just seem to read out the usual suspects although they might not be troublesome at all :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BlueDrax

Does "Limerick's Live95fm" still have TA?
    I know they did have it - They kept forgetting to press the 'end TA' button and I had to manually change back to MP3.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mike65 wrote:

So they closed it.

Mike.

They should try that with some sections of the government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

unkel wrote:
    Only in ....... :)

Wassthatmean?
    unkel wrote:

Mind even the traffic updates on the main news are useless apart from the reporting of accidents

They just seem to read out the usual suspects although they might not be troublesome at all :rolleyes:

Very true the number of times I've got home to hear that "in Waterford the Cork road is moving very slowly..." having just been down it in 2-3 mins is becoming a standing joke. They know it'll be lousy at 4.30-5.30 pm but they keep reading out the same bulletin unitl nearly 7. RTE are as bad with thier weather forcasts, the one they have at 7 am they read out until midday.

Mike.

Advertisement