Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gutter/Ridge Tile Repair

Options
  • 01-03-2005 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, anyone know of a good gutter/roof company in Dublin?
    I need a piece of white, seamless gutter about 25ft long to replace a bit that fell from the dutch hip (and broke)
    I'd also like the end of the ridge tiles filled-in properly (with cement)
    Dont wanna get fleeced by a cowboy but cant do it myself (seamless and too high to get at)

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Gree.....

Golden pages works sometimes :) I would ask why did the gutter fall ? even in a storm situation a seamless gutter shouldn't fall, it can be torn by and damaged by sliding slates and tiles but seldom do they fall.

As to your hip ridges I recommend and use a product called "Flexim", expensive but do it once and forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

yeah Ive been letting my fingers do the walking, but since Ive never had it done before and the industry has one or two companies who like to ride horses, I thought Id come on here and get some recc's.
    As for why it fell down, I cant tell you, just bought the house and it was down when we got it.
    Other than the loose tile (which I cant see) I was wondering if perhaps the gutter was blocked and simply filled up and became too heavy for the mountings....
    As for the Flexim, I'm hoping that my "Roof Agent" will take care of the ridge tiles while he is up there.
    Cheers.

Hi Greebo,

Take a look at the gutter, if the fixing was with spikes (Long Nails) they should be no more than 18" apart.

The reason I wuld specify "Flexim" on your particular roof is the Dutch gable is prone to wind damage, I have also seen a lot of the gutters installed with no down pipes, they were put up more for show than to control the run off of water.

I hope the above is of help to you, as a matter of interest there are advertisers in the Golden Pages with similar names to mine, I run this business with a very small listing in the same book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭boroughmal

Try a+a hill in ashford co.wicklow. They like going to town.
    P.s. Roofer pete i'mm still looking for that flexim muck for my roof, where do you get it these days. Chadwicks sold out 3 years ago

Hi,

Chadwicks in Sandyford Industrial Estate had a good stock recently, I have a few box's in stock if you are stuck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

rooferPete wrote:
    Hi,

Chadwicks in Sandyford Industrial Estate had a good stock recently, I have a few box's in stock if you are stuck.

Chadwicks. Is there one there?,thought it was Brookes Thomas?...

Chadwicks Ltd.

Sandyford ind. Est.

D.18.

Telephone (01) 295 4601

It better be Chadwicks or Brooks will be a tad annoyed at the last cheque I wrote in that branch :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

GreeBo wrote:
    Other than the loose tile (which I cant see) I was wondering if perhaps the gutter was blocked and simply filled up and became too heavy for the mountings....
    Last winter a neighbours gutter fell due to the snow - off the roof, into the gutter and it was just too heavy. Given the last few weeks that could be the cause. It was one of the seamless gutters as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

rooferPete wrote:
    Hi Greebo,

Take a look at the gutter, if the fixing was with spikes (Long Nails) they should be no more than 18" apart.

The reason I wuld specify "Flexim" on your particular roof is the Dutch gable is prone to wind damage, I have also seen a lot of the gutters installed with no down pipes, they were put up more for show than to control the run off of water.

I hope the above is of help to you, as a matter of interest there are advertisers in the Golden Pages with similar names to mine, I run this business with a very small listing in the same book.
    Thanks for your help Peter, cheers for the PM/email advice too!

Advertisement