Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT for new cars.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

Lads, no offense, but can you try to stay on topic here [VRT] instead of heading off in various tangents about bmw drivers, alfamale psychology, social strata and,.. art smiley_crackup.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

528i wrote:
    Lads, no offense, but can you try to stay on topic here [VRT] instead of heading off in various tangents about bmw drivers, alfamale psychology, social strata and,.. art

q.e.d.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

okay, if I apologise for offending your beloved citroen, will you.... wash my car ? /just kidding..

Here's a link to get things back on topic once again (before anyone mentioned those amphibious french thingies that can look round corners)

https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/ShowVRT

no porsche or ferrari options as yet, but gives a good indication of the market value (as well as vrt rates) to your current car, or potential import etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭TheLedge

Good God, what have I started!! :D

It has been a joy to read your collectively brilliant use of the english language however!

Any journalists/solicitors or English graduates in the house then??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

528i wrote:

Good God m'lad! If I counted how many times this link has been posted in this Forum... :rolleyes: ...it'd be a lot :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

528i wrote:
    https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/ShowVRT

no porsche or ferrari options as yet, but gives a good indication of the market value (as well as vrt rates) to your current car, or potential import etc.

Interesting - My friend recently bought an immaculate 02 320dSE from the uk for €20,000. According to this, it worth about €27000, and he got stiffed for about €8300. I wonder are there examples where the estimated price is below the market value?

CBG has 02 320Ds from 28000 to 35000 so he's a little ahead of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

If i was any self-respecting car manufacturer, and I was told that i could sell a shed load more products than i am already, if a certain EU country would remove a "Tax", the first thing I would be doing is lobbying the **** out of said government.

It would be even sweeter if the tax was illegal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

If i was any self-respecting car manufacturer, and I was told that i could sell a shed load more products than i am already, if a certain EU country would remove a "Tax", the first thing I would be doing is lobbying the **** out of said government.
    And the first thing they'd do if the tax was removed would be to up their prices :rolleyes:

The consumer would be lucky to see much of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

Just to add insult to injury, from Revenue website:

"In the case of a new means of transport i.e. land vehicles (excluding agricultural tractors) that were supplied six months or less after the date of first entry into service or have travelled 6,000 Kilometres or less, VAT is chargeable and normally payable at the time of registration in the State, even where there is evidence, e.g. an invoice, that VAT was paid in the country of purchase."

So if you try to import a second hand car from the UK that is less then 6 months old you have to pay the VAT again!!!!!!!

I think you can claim the VAT back from the UK Government but it takes a few years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Camper vans, motorhomes ...everybody go and buy camper vans or motorhomes.

VRT "ONLY" 13.5% :D
    Nobody (including insurances) cares whether they're RHD or LHD, so you can buy all over the EU.
    As long as you stay under 6 Liter you can have any engine for 79 Euro road tax.
    Insurance (club membership scheme) currently somewhere under the 500 Euro mark.

sorry, no BMW campers, though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

This is what I have been saying. Bit of a pisser, and illegal as far as I know.

The simple option is not to pay the VAT in the UK. Then you don't have to try to claim it back.

MrP

Advertisement