Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why No Keyholes on New Micra

Options
  • 01-03-2005 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭

Just a question but was in Spain last week in a rented Micra (new model) when the remote locking stopped working (oddly just when we had to get to airport and passports in car). Anyway we then noticed that the micra doesn't have keyholes to manually open the car!!! After about an 30 mins the thing came back to life again for no reason but can anyone tell me why the keyholes would be removed? Surely it's not a security feature to prevent break ins? Also the car has no internal door locking so u can't lock the doors when yur in the car which wasn't a big deal in Spain but I'm sure would be more of a concern somewhere where ppl like to get into yur car at traffic lights.

I suppose common sense answers for the above is security and safety but for very tenuous reasons in my eyes. Can anyone else shed any light on the situation for me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I have a new Almera. It is the same, kind of. There appears to be no keyholes, but, there is one on the passengers side but it has a removeable cover. The idea being you need no key for entry but in the case of an electrical failure you can remove the cover and operate the door manually. I expect it is the same on the Micra. You could easily miss the cover, I did until I read about it in the manual.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As far as I know some of the Micras have a system called "Keyless Entry". This means that they may have a credit card type key (similar to Renaults) which allows the doors to unlock open when you approach ths car. A signal is sent from the card to the car when in range to tell it unlock the car. It is supposed to prevent you from having to reach into your pocket for the keys.

Would make sense to have a convensional door lock on the outside though in the event the system fails as it did in your case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Another keyless entry type (only ever seen it on one Dodge Charger, most cars with it have after-market setups) is one in which the lock inside the door has a motor/magnet thingy implemented with it. So when you press the button (much like with central locking), the door actually pops open about an inch or so. Looks pretty cool

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

Renault have bought Nissan and the new Micra is based on the Clio floorpan. In my opinion Renault seem to have dragged the Micra down to their own level of unreliability!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

[oops] humblest apologies

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

528i wrote:
    you're talking about tallaght right ?

You ignorant ******* p***k.

Advertisement