Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reccomend some country

Options
  • 01-03-2005 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭

I'm looking for cool country songs, songs with stories and interesting characters or funny/stupid adventures, old style stuff

like Okie from Muskogee, City of New Orleans, sunday morning coming down or the ballad of Ira Hayes

I'm fairly au fait with Johnny Cash stuff so tell me some other songs in a JC style I should look out for YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEHAW!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I don 't have a huge Country knowldege - but a few things i like that would be more on the country side of country-rock are Gram Parsons, Willis Alan Ramsey, The Dillards and The Flying Burrito Brothers.

Otherwise - I beleive Willy Nelson is good (although I haven't listened to him myself).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Willy Nelson is excellent. Townes Van Zandt is more like the darker Johnny Cash stuff. I highly recommend him. Lee Hazelwood's more countryish songs are good, if you see a good compilation of his duets with Nancy Sinatra jump on it (well buy it at least). Worth every penny once it has Sand on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hank Williams
    Merle Haggard - Okie from Muskokie stuff
    Rodney Crowell ( he comes here a good bit , twice in last year or so )
    Earlier Dwight Yoakim
    Albert Lee
    Woody Guthrie - probably more folk but interesting ( This Land is Your Land)
    Arlo Guthrie ( wrote "City of New Orleans ")
    Nancy Travis
    Patsy Kline
    Asleep at The Wheel - Great fun
    Dolly Parton - some of her stuff

Whatever you do stay away from "Irish" country music ala Daniel O'Donnell, Big Tom etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

thanks for the info, anyone wanna rec actual songs they like, rather than artists, I'm not all that interested in listening to albums of stuff to see if I like it, I just a few songs (recorded by whoever, i know the country boys love their cover versions) that people think are cool, dark, sad, quirky, funny, clever, tell a cool story, whatever makes it different to a standard love song or a song to someones momma or about the green hills of alabama, y know what I mean

kinda like the stuff on the Radio K rose playlist on GTA San Andreas

which is this

K-ROSE
    Playlist:
    Jerry Reed - Amos Moses
    Conway Twitty And Lorretta Lynn - Louisiana Woman, Mississippi Man
    Hank Williams - Hey Good Lookin'
    Juice Newton - Queen Of Hearts
    Asleep At The Wheel - The Letter That Johnny Walker Read
    The Desert Rose Band - One Step Forward
    Willie Nelson - Crazy
    Patsy Cline - Three Cigarettes In The Ashtray
    Mickey Gilley - Make The World Go Away
    Ed Bruce - Mamma Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys
    Merle Haggard - Always Wanting You
    Whitey Shafer - All My Exes Live In Texas
    Eddie Rabbit - I Love A Rainy Night
    Statler Brothers - New York City
    Statler Brothers - Bed Of Roses

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

try any of these

hank williams
    lefty frizzell
    gram parsons
    ricky skaggs
    jim white
    emmylou harris
    jerry reed
    tony rice
    steve earle

darned tootin...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

If your Lookin for some weird funky psychedelic country rock stuff check out an album called "magnetic south" by michael nesmith (the dude from the
    monkees).it'll blow your mind - seriously !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Genghis

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Ryan Adams yet. Both 'Gold' and 'Heartbreaker' are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Genghis wrote:
    Can't believe nobody has mentioned Ryan Adams yet. Both 'Gold' and 'Heartbreaker' are excellent.
    yes, but NOT country

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I recently got hold of Gram Parsons' "GP" album after seeing a documentary on him - a lot more country than I was expecting but still very good. Also "Johnny Cash at San Quentin" is a classic.

Advertisement