Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pennant Jailed

• 01-03-2005 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭

Player jailed for drink-driving
    Arsenal midfielder Jermaine Pennant has been jailed for three months after admitting drink-driving while banned.

The 22-year-old, from Barnet, north London, crashed his Mercedes Benz into a lamppost in Aylesbury, Bucks, on 23 January last year.

He admitted the drink-driving charge, driving while disqualified and having no insurance, at a hearing at Aylesbury Magistrates' Court last month.

His previous ban had been due to be lifted on 19 February.

Chairman of magistrates John Jakobi told Pennant, while passing sentence, there was no reasonable excuse for the journey.

Wrong lane

Police stopped the footballer, currently on loan to Birmingham City, outside a leisure centre at about 0600 GMT.

He claimed to have lost control of his car while changing its navigation system.

But tests showed his alcohol reading was 85mg per 100ml of breath. The legal limit is 35mg.

Pennant was banned from driving for 16 months last February after he was seen travelling in the wrong lane in Paddington, west London.

Birmingham City had hoped he would get a lenient sentence that would allow him to continue playing football.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4307427.stm

Was to be expected seeing as it was not his first offence, not the sharpest tool in the box

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Major talent but a brainless fool! I am suprise Birmingham are staying with him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

3 months is nothing.....has done well.....Birmingham want to sign him at end of season so if they stick by him more of a chance he will stay with them......good player and has been doing well for them and was good for Leeds last season....he needs to get out of London I think......too many bright lights!! haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Pity Pennant was born 15 years earlier he would have been an Arsenal legend with that temperment instead of one of their cast-offs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Silly boy.
    He admitted the drink-driving charge, driving while disqualified and having no insurance, at a hearing at Aylesbury Magistrates' Court last month.

Is the guy completely brainless? All serious offences when grouped together like that.
    Why the hell could he of not got a taxi? He earns enough FFS!

Arsenal's season just keeps on getting better. Will he be allowed to play again considering he'll be a convicted criminal?

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Sure didn't Adams play the start and end (but not the middle for some strange reason :) ) of their Championship winning season of 1990-91?

Maybe the rules have changed since?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

It has to be something to do with the lack of discipline in the Arsenal squad...

BTW - Only messing, just someone mentioned that "arsenals disciplinary record is always dragged up" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

BaZmO* wrote:
    Silly boy.
    Why the hell could he of not got a taxi? He earns enough FFS!

the idiot could have employed a chauffeur easily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

BaZmO* wrote:
    Will he be allowed to play again considering he'll be a convicted criminal?
    No rule I know of that says convicted criminals cannot play football in the league.

He is an idiot though, that is without question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Deserved a lot longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

He got exactly what was coming to him IMO.

Whatever about driving a car when banned but to do after he had for a few beers is just about the dumbest thing he could do. :o

I'd say birmingham feel very hard done by because he was playing well for them especially after the disappointment that was Gronkjear (sp?) at right wing. I wonder if they will slip further into the relegation battle after losing one of their better players :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Police stopped the footballer outside a leisure centre at about 0600 GMT.

He claimed to have lost control of his car while changing its satellite navigation system.

I don't get this. Did he crash then drive off and get stopped or did he crash and let the police arrive? Surely if it was driveable he could get home and sober up. He'd be done for the disqualified driving but not the DUI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pennant is the perfect example of a young lad with talent but almost no proper education (he's functionally illiterate) trouble was bound to follow him. And the clubs he's been with hav'nt ben much use. Hopefully someone will grab him and sit him doen to learn to read and write while inside.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

quarryman wrote:
    I don't get this. Did he crash then drive off and get stopped or did he crash and let the police arrive?
    on teletext on net2 it said he was spotted wit a lamp post dragging under his car. so i'd say he was pulled over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i remeber arsenal paying notts county 1m for him as a 16yr old. perhaps the money, hype, attention has gone to his head. looks a decent player tbh, i always thought worth a shot in arsenal's 1st team.

no excuses though, stupid behaviour. having been caught for careless driving once youd think he'd have a bit of cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

i heard he was driving ashley coles car, and when he got pulled over he said his name was ashley cole.

now i am not sure if thats true, but if it is, hes even more of a plonker.

its say "his merc", so i suppose that isnt true, was it definitly his merc can anyone tell us?

He's just been released and seems to be ready to sign a new contract with Birmingham!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

hes a waster if you ask me, how many chances does one player needs.He was proberly moddy coddled in prison too i bet!!!
    Birmingham are mad to even consider offering to buy him as hes trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

what an absolute idiot he'll be off to birmingham in the summer anyway, im sure wenger cant be arsed anymore at this stage

i was looking forward to seeing him coming into the arsenal team and eventually nailing down a first team place but tis not to be and thats also a good point by mike65 regarding his complete lack of any education

Jermaine Pennant has been released from prison after serving 31 days of his three-month sentence for driving offences.

The Arsenal winger, on loan at Birmingham until the end of this season, will wear an electronic tag as part of his parole conditions.

Pennant pleaded guilty to drink driving while disqualified and was jailed on March 1 at Aylesbury Magistrates' Court.

In a statement upon his release, Pennant said: "It's a relief to be out, I'm looking forward to putting on my football boots and start training again.

"I'd like to thank all those that have helped me through this difficult period and I'll be making further statements in due course."

As well as being tagged, Pennant will be subject to a curfew, but he is expected to be available to Birmingham to train and play whenever manager Steve Bruce thinks he is ready.

Pennant was arrested in January after he was spotted in a car park in Aylesbury driving a Mercedes with a lamp post dragging beneath it.

He pleaded guilty at last month's hearing to charges of drink driving, driving while disqualified and using a vehicle without insurance.

When he was stopped his eyes were glazed and his speech slurred.

A breath test found he was almost two-and-a-half times the legal alcohol limit with 85 micrograms per 100ml of breath, the court heard. The legal maximum is 35 micrograms per 100ml of breath.

The former England Under-21 star had been banned from driving for 16 months in February last year after being seen travelling in the wrong lane in Paddington, west London. That period was later cut after he completed a special course.

Pennant's Arsenal contract expires this summer and Birmingham are thought to be close to agreeing a compensation deal with the Gunners to allow them to sign the player on a permanent basis.

As I mentioned above.....moving to Birmingham might be the making of this player! need a manager like Bruce or Ferguson to get him in shape......somehow I have a feeling that Wenger can't handle the english young players as well as Freguson....thats why he seems to take on alot of foreigner young players...personal opinion so dont want Utd and Arsenal fans to start a slagging match.....also needs to get out of London as mentioned above!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

A bloody month. Ridiculous, he might as well have went out of his house pointing a loaded shot gun at people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement