Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Simple Q re netstumbler

• 01-03-2005 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭

I fired up netstumbler and could see many different networks last night (all of which i have allowed access to of course)

My question is how do i get netstumbler to connect to a specific one. There is no "right click on desired network and then click connect"

Last night i connected to one and could go on the web but it wasnt the network i wanted to connect to and i didnt expressly ask stumbler to connect.It just did it itself.

When i tried using the xp wireless software i could see the same networks but when i clicked "connect" to my desired network it would pop up a little message saying "attempting to connect to network" or something similiar and a progress bar underneath. Unfortunately it never connected.

So is there any way to specify netstumbelr to connect to a specific network and how do you do it? It seemed to me like stumbler was only a diagnostic tool that would show graphs on network stats as opposed to gain entry to said networks.

ps These are networks that are free to use in my area and im not hacking.

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

netstumber just continuously lists beacon packets that are broadcast from AP's and cards in Ad-Hoc mode

Your wireless network card and / or OS will have a connection utility eg windows wireless config / orinoco connection manager - note: netstumbler and the windows XP connection thingy don't like each other so you can only use one at at time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭uum

So stumbler cannot be used to connect to networks? Because it definitely connected last night because my windows client when i clicked it toldd me it couldnt see the wireless card because some other proggie (stumbler) had assumed control of it.

Ok so when i used xp wireless client manager to list the networks it had the same ones as stumbler but when i clicked connect it would show the progress bar as stated above and never connect. Have i some setting like my firewall or something to change?

Either way something connected to a wifi network last night but it wasnt the network i wanted to select. How do i specify the network? BTW im using a centrino Can i dl any software package?
    thanks a lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,536 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

No, NetStumbler is not used to connect to a wireless network. Oh, and yes, it does require access to to your wireless card to perform it's activities, which explains why your wireless card isn't available through windows.

From their FAQ:
    NetStumbler is a tool for Windows that allows you to detect Wireless Local Area Networks (WLANs) using 802.11b, 802.11a and 802.11g. It has many uses:
    # Verify that your network is set up the way you intended.
    # Find locations with poor coverage in your WLAN.
    # Detect other networks that may be causing interference on your network.
    # Detect unauthorized "rogue" access points in your workplace.
    # Help aim directional antennas for long-haul WLAN links.
    # Use it recreationally for WarDriving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭uum

Oh i knew that stumbler nneded access to the card. Thats grand and ive read their faq.

So now my prob is why didnt the windows xp wifi client connect to the network. What was the progress bar checking for. I let it run for a few minutes but after 5 mins i said it couldnt be right. Note i had stumbler closed down at this stage too.
    Are there any other 3rd party software i can use for this purpose?

Also where is the setting in stumbler to disable tcp ip or does this refer to the tcp which can be disabled from the system properties?
    How do ye explain that i could go online even though stumbler was open and my windows client was disabled. Did stumbler connect to it or just some default setting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 bridigo

What was the progress bar checking for. I let it run for a few minutes but after 5 mins i said it couldnt be right.
    My guess is that the signal is not strong enough for windows to establish a connection.
    How do ye explain that i could go online even though stumbler was open and my windows client was disabled.

Not possible, you must have had a network connection enabled.

• Advertisement
Advertisement