Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kaplan Speaks

• 01-03-2005 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭

From Scrum.com

Kaplan said that he had a clear conscience. ``On a personal level, I am very disappointed with Robinson's remarks. I don't feel it is going anywhere when a coach publicly criticises a referee. There were two matters which he believes were critical and I am quite certain I made the correct decision in both of them.

``The one incident where there was an offside (for Mark Cueto's disallowed try), I can't see any conclusive evidence to disprove my decision. And on the second occasion where there was doubt if a try was scored, I was in a perfect position to adjudicate.

``I didn't need to use the television referee from where I was and even if I had reason to, the scrum maul was repelled back into the field of play and the ball became unplayable, so technically I was spot on.''

Kaplan added that the television referee, Welshman Hugh Watkins, had agreed with his decision. ``Even if they ask why I didn't refer it, Hugh Watkins has said that with the referral he wouldn't have given it,'' he said.

Kaplan insists he enjoys a good relationship with Robinson and understands his reaction, even though he doesn't agree with it. ``I understand it, Andy is a reasonable coach and it is out of character for him to do something like this. I wish him well for the rest of his Six Nations campaign,'' he continued.

``But I have watched the footage again and I would have been the first one to put up my hand and admit I had made a mistake if it was so. If there is evidence, then perhaps they should give me evidence of my mistakes and I will gladly admit them.'' "

Naturally, he is going to defend himself but I think he has a good technical case.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

I love it. A very subtle fook you Mr.Robinson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Nicely put.
    No need for him to take that rubbish from Robinson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

rkm wrote:
    Nicely put.
    No need for him to take that rubbish from Robinson.

I can't help remembering another English manager in another time in another sport pointing out, to a linesman after an apalling series of refereeing decisions: 'Your mate's just got me the sack. Thank him very much for that, will you.'

Do I not like that. !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

Of course they only blamed the ref in this instance to detract from their own playing shortcomings.
    Rugby Refs are on a different plane to soccer Refs and generally their decisions are respected, but in this case not by the bad losers ;)

Advertisement