Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

In Car iPod

Options
  • 01-03-2005 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

I have an iPod Mini i would like to be able to use in my car (focus).
    Poblem is i have a cd player and not sure how to connect them together.
    I know the iTrip is illegal now, so what else can i do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

I have an iPod Mini i would like to be able to use in my car (focus).
    Poblem is i have a cd player and not sure how to connect them together.
    I know the iTrip is illegal now, so what else can i do?

1. Change your stereo
    2. Get an FM transmitter anyway. I know they made it illegal in the UK. Has anyone found out here what the situation is? Plenty of people use them over there anyway.
    3. See if you can get an AUX input for your stereo.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

2. Get an FM transmitter anyway. I know they made it illegal in the UK. Has anyone found out here what the situation is? Plenty of people use them over there anyway

I think they are illegal over here. I know someone who has something similar (the iRock I think it's called - basically a generic FM transmitter) and the quality is quite poor - at best a mediocre radio reception, and not really worth it. That said, the iTrip is supposed to be a little better. I wouldn't really sweat about the legal aspect of it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The iTrip may be technically illegal, but so is drinking outside of pubs during the summer... ;)
    I don't think it's something to worry about.

I have heard that the reception does fade in and out, though. So you might want to get some more opinions before you become a fugitive.

:D

(didn't see the above post - what he said!)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A friend at work uses the iTrip and finds it grand. It is picked up by an unused FM station. Only thing is that the quality gets distorted when the volume is up high (as in really high) so it shouldn't be an issue. Not a perfect solution but a cheaper solution than buying a new stereo.

As for the legallity of it. I won't tell anyone if you don't. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

not sure about this.. so check..

as far as i know the focus has a rebadged blaupunkt radio, so it may have an aux input?. thus look into cradles that you may be able to convert? i.e. google 'connect ipod mini to blaupunkt' or suchlike

just a thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The iTrip may be technically illegal, but so is drinking outside of pubs during the summer... ;)

Thankfully that situation changed two years ago in Galway City, when bye-laws were introduced to allow boozing outside pubs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭MizzKattt

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

eoin_s wrote:
    I think they are illegal over here. I know someone who has something similar (the iRock I think it's called - basically a generic FM transmitter) and the quality is quite poor - at best a mediocre radio reception, and not really worth it. That said, the iTrip is supposed to be a little better. I wouldn't really sweat about the legal aspect of it.

Yeah there illeagle but there so low powered its never going to be an issue. Thye have no way to catch you either.

I have a belkin tunecast II. Does the job very well with thw iPod. Get somthing that powers off the iPod (iTrip) or off a car charger cause they eat batteries otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

If your head unit has a CD changer socket, you can get this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

They are illegal here but you are unlikely to be hauled up on it. ComReg are cracking down on anybody who is selling them here in a shop. You can try and buy online but some online retailers won't ship to Ireland.

• Advertisement

EBay, hundreds of em there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

I have an iTrip and it's not a solution. The sound quality is usually bad and it tends to drop out. A cassette adapter is a lot better and some kind of line-in would be better still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

I have an iTrip and it's works OK in town but not on long journeys - RnaG keeps splatting all over whatever frequency you select.

If your car has a Blaupunkt stereo you can get an Aux-in lead for a tenner from www.blue-spot.co.uk. Buy a dock for your mini and plug the aux-in lead to the line-out on the dock. Then plug a car charger into the dock and you're laughing. I did this with my 40GB on my old Citroën and it works really well. No interference, no distortion, no loss of charge, no visible cables - just a dock in the astray. Cost me about €50.

P1010002.JPG
    P1010003.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭stevieg_irl

thanks, i'm not too worried about it been illegal, its not serious,
    the problem is gettin one (the iTrip)
    but hookin it up directly sounds like a better plan

EBay is the best place for FM transmitter's. Got my Tunecast for €35 deliverd from the US. Arived in 2 days a few friends used the same seller after me and got the same delivery time/price.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

edmund_f wrote:

That's the Dension ICE Link. Great device, looks good with good functionality. A little pricey, though at €180. They work with pretty much any head unit, but check compatability first.

Advertisement