Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic games you've yet to play

Options
  • 01-03-2005 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭

We all (bar the nerdiest game hounds amoung us) have missed classics during our gaming career, games that all others rave about and replay endlessly. We all plan to play them some day, but time gets in the way.

What are the great games (reputedly, of course!) that you have always wanted to play, but haven't thus far?

My list:

-Legends of Zelda: Ocartina of Time (only console I've ever owned was a PS1, but this looks great)
    -Fallout 1 & 2
    -Planetscape: Torment
    -System Shock 2 (some nice boardster gave me a copy of ths, but I haven't been able to get it to run properly on Win XP yet, it is WAY too fast!)
    -Most of the Final Fantasy series (bought a PS1 years ago for FFVII, played 80% of it then gave up as I couldn't defeat someone or other)
    -Metroid Prime (or any Metroid game)
    -Master of Orion
    -Heroes of Might and Magic
    -Any Monkey Island title
    -Any Resident Evil title
    -Deus Ex (played the 1st level on, ahem, shareware)
    -Halo
    -Any Thief title
    -Almost all the Mario titles
    -XCom
    -Starcraft

What's on your list? More importantly, should I buy a GameCube just to be able to play LOZ: OOT and Metroid Prime?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Wow thats a list and a half

Mine would probably consist of just system shock 2 never played it.

Most other of the so called 'classics' ive played at one time or another.

As for the Gamecube issue, just buying one for LOZ:OOT could prove fatal, while although it is a GREAT title, finding it on the 'cube is not the easiest of tasks. But for metriod and the host of other ninty greats its WELL worth it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Zelda:MM
    System Shock 1+2
    Deus Ex
    Operation Flashpoint
    Star Ocean Series
    Mana series
    Metorid 2 Return of Samus
    Metroid Zero Mission
    Probably more I could add
    And whatever else I have in my basket of games I haven't yet played

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Final Fantasy series
    GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas
    Pretty much any classic PC game (though the guy sitting beside me in the computer lab is playing Monkey Island!)
    Halo 2
    Yoshi's Island

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Glad to see I'm not the only one who hasn't played System Shock (yet). I've been trying to download it from Underdogs but they keep redirecting me to an error page. Fairly annoying as it doesn't seem to be hosted anywhere else, despite being - afaik - legally available for download.

Sure there's more, can't think at the minute. Enjoying a nice broadband connection here in Czech Republic.. downloading all sorts of 'classic' (or at least old) games. Almost finished 'Beneath a Steal Sky'. It's probably crap but I remember it from years gone by so it has a nice nostalgia factor at least.
    More importantly, should I buy a GameCube just to be able to play LOZ: OOT and Metroid Prime?

Well, you could do that - good enough idea. Or you could buy it to play Zelda: OOT, WW, MM, the new one thats out in a while; Metroid Prime 1, 2; Res Evil; blah blah blah... [/fanboi]

It's a good console. Lots of games and pretty cheap these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Forgot about all those Lucas Arts point and click games. Got quite far in monkey Island 1+2 but never finished them. Also have Sam and Max but need a Win 98 partition to play them. Actually its XP thats not allowing me to play most of the classic PC games. And Compatability mode is crap and has never worked for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

retr0gamer,
    For the Lucas Arts games, did you try ScummVM?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Never played System shock 2, but am downloading a demo at the moment from http://gr.bolt.com/download/pc/action/system_shock2.htm

I forgot about that SCUM emulator. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

final fantasy 7 and panzer dragoon saga.

i still long for panzer dragoon saga...it hurts me that i cannot claim the game (damn too expensive on ebay)

i still long for panzer dragoon saga...it hurts me that i cannot claim the game (damn too expensive on ebay)

Too rub salt into those injuries, it's fantastic and probably my favourite game ever. I bought a saturn mainly for Radiant Silvergun but Panzer Dragoon Saga is by far my favourite. It also makes Panzer Dragoon Orta's story even better.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Too rub salt into those injuries, it's fantastic and probably my favourite game ever. I bought a saturn mainly for Radiant Silvergun but Panzer Dragoon Saga is by far my favourite. It also makes Panzer Dragoon Orta's story even better.

i know...

you've rubbed this salt in my wounds before many years ago please dont again. to make matters worse someone sent me the intro last night. I WILL HAVE THAT GAME!

and shining force 3

and dragon force

YOU B*STERDS!

pds should be remade for xbox or something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 TimAnne

Zelda OOT - i keep trying to get into it... but its just plain crap! where the hell am i supposed to get the sword? :confused:
    Deus EX - demo never appealed to me.
    Morrowind - meh...
    Ikaruga - might try playing the emulated dc version again... played like crap on my borrowed gfx card. amazon.co.uk seem to have the gc version back in stock
    System Shock 2 - must try playing it again now that i have the full game (ripped abandonware version wouldn't work for me :/)
    Metroid - seems to have aged very badly tbh. i couldn't stick with it for longer than 5 minutes.
    Metroid 2 - ditto
    Castlevania SOTN - never got into it...

^ thats just a few of the games that i have but never got round to playing properly... i'd be here all day creating a list of games that i want to play

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Threre's so many games that I have missed, every Zelda game , well got me hands on Ocarina of time and Majora's mask yesterday from ebay haven't started either yet. Any Metroid Game, All Resi's bar Resident Evil 2 on PS1, ICO ,
    All Final Fantasy's , Deus EX , System shock 2, Ikaruga , Viewtiful joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Ico
    Morrowind
    Panzer Dragoon (Ikeep seeing this in bargin PC section is it really that good?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I've yet to play outcast, as my machine wasn't able when it was out, and the idea just kind of faded away. Also battle zone 2, can't think of any other games that weren't from before my time that I really felt I missed out on, I can think of quite a few I wish I did though.....

the original is very dated these days but zwei and orta (for saturn and x-box) are both amazing.

Panzer dragoon saga...is meant to be a rpg better then ff7, a work of art and so on. there is a catch though.

search for it on ebay.

and you will see the catch.

it is one that makes me cry.

almost as much for shining force 3 which only had one third of it released in europe. (1 game 3 parts)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

I have yet to get into any of the Final Fantasy games apart from FFX.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I always wanted to play super mario 64, I remember when it was released as a launch title for the n64 one reputable games magazine gave it a 100% review which was literally unprecedented(and still is i think).

I was never going to buy a console for one game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Metorid 2 Return of Samus

Don't bother. Seriously.
    Operation Flashpoint
    Mana series
    Oh my god are you in for some funnnnnn! Operation flashpoint is incredible, and SoM is my favourite SNES game ev0rrr! except maybe mariokart :)
    Even the GB Mana game (sieken densetsu 1 / FF aventure) is decent.

As for MY list, there'd be WAY too many to list, but the top priorities are:
    Zelda:OoT (and CGB titles)
    Mario 64 (i'll get a DS sooon)
    FF7 (and 6)
    Castlevania:SotN
    A Suikoden or two. (never would have cared 'til i read Retr0's minireview)

I've just finished Super Metroid, and I'm working through Super Mario RPG, Metroid Zero Mission, and GTA:SA, so i'm making headway into the increasing list of games i must play :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    final fantasy 7 and panzer dragoon saga.

I was going to day that there was not enough time to play the new games never mind the old games but yes, Panzer Dragoon Saga would be the one I would want to play. Is it worth shelling out all that money for though (don't have a Saturn either)?

As for buying the Gamecube for Zelda and Metroid, I really enjoyed Zelda but didn't like Metroid at all. Couldn't believe Game gave it 10/10. Plenty of good games of the Cube though (Tales of Symphonia is great).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Vyse wrote:
    As for buying the Gamecube for Zelda and Metroid, I really enjoyed Zelda but didn't like Metroid at all. Couldn't believe Game gave it 10/10. Plenty of good games of the Cube though (Tales of Symphonia is great).
    different strokes for different folks i guess...

i'm just after finishing Metroid Prime for the 8th (i think) time, and will most likely try to beat that completion time later on in the week. perhaps even in one sitting :)
    it's the greatest game released in the past 10 years imho

What's your time?
    I always wanted to play super mario 64, I remember when it was released as a launch title for the n64 one reputable games magazine gave it a 100% review which was literally unprecedented(and still is i think).

And yes, a N64 or DS is worth buying for Super Mario 64. The game is that damn good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I have played pretty much all the 'classic' games I have ever wanted to play:

pretty much all of the Mario's
    the zelda's after, and including, A Link To The Past (but not the GC ones, but I don't really wanna)
    all of the Mortal Kombat series up to and including 4, the rest look ****e
    all GTA's except SA, but I will soon enough
    all of the Doom series
    all of the C&C series

there is only one classic I wanna play and thats Deus Ex

the ones I have yet to play, and want to, are on the Xbox, and I will play them soon enough:

KOTOR I & II
    Ninja Guiden

What's your time?
    bear in mind that i've only been trying 200% runs up til now :o

5:20

Vyse wrote:
    didn't like Metroid at all.

I had this problem too when i first tried it, because i was a pc gamer and the gamecube/metroid bundle was my first foray into console gaming since the supernes, so i was comparing it to first person shooters that i liked. But then i decided to treat it like a platform game, and it totally changed my perspective on the game. Love it :)

tman wrote:
    5:20
    Sweeeeeeet. Are you sequence breaking?

har har!

I haven't managed to pull off any breaks yet. might give the space jump one a try next time through...

If you get some you'll probably get a lot faster. I want to get the space jump one just for the fun of not having to fight the hive mecha and being able to jump up in the halfpipe in Chozo Ruins to get the first missile expansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

get with it! get yourself some resi 4! it's amazing! tough too.

• Advertisement

Marts, you won't be disappointed in wind waker! I know that it's considered to be not as good as OoT, but it's still thoroughly fabulous

Advertisement