Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does your company use wireless networking?

• 01-03-2005 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

I'm a freelance journalist currently researching an article for Digital Ireland which will appear with the Irish Independent on March 24. The article is to be made up of case studies of companies using wireless networking. If your company is using it, please send me a PM with your name, your company name and your company phone number. I would need to talk to someone fairly senior in the organisation such as an IT manager or MD. If you are not one of those, please indicate who I should speak to in your answer. You do not have to be in Dublin as the interview can be conducted over the phone.

Many thanks

David Stewart

PS. if you want to check out my bona fides, go to http://www.siliconrepublic.com and do a search on my name.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

will you pay contributors, or is it just yourself that makes the money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭happydude13

I think the lack of replies to your post here might
    be due the somewhat 'arrogant' tone of the posting.

It will be an pretty lop-sided article if you focus solely
    on the opinions of those who are 'fairly senior in the organisation'.

Although perhaps that is the intention of the article ?

anyhow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

So you just want the name of the company and a few personal details as well.
    Social engineering anyone ? :D

I get regular cold calling surveys where people want to ask me questions that I just won't answer on waste of my time and security grounds. It's got to the stage that when someone on the phone says "we're conducting a survey, do you have a few minutes" that if I'm busy I won't even take the time to say "no" before I hang up.

Also it would be unethical to publish details of companies with wireless networks unless they had the link properly configured, I've seen wireless setups done by "professional" companies that have been almost totally wide open and the company would no reason to suspect that unless they had the appropiate inhouse expertise which many SME's might not have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Are you not a journalist David? Why not do what journalists do? Or are you just too lazy to ring up some largeish companies, and ask what their setup is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭David Stewart

First of all thank you to you all for taking the time to reply. At least you read the post :)

I apologise if the message came across as arrogant. I'll answer your points one by one.

1. Sorry, I'm keeping the money.

2. The reason for wanting to talk to senior people in the organisation is actually answered by Capt'n Midnight. For security reasons it is essential that a senior member of staff knows that the contact is taking place. Also, I once had to spike an interview at the last minute because the person I interviewed had not been authorised to talk to the press despite the fact the interview had been set up by the company's PR agency.

3. You're right, Capt'n Midnight. See point above. And it was to avoid implications of social engineering that I posted details of where to find my articles in order to establish my bona fides.

4. Seamus, yes I am a journalist and I have a Palm full of names and addresses, but that means it's always the same companies that get mentioned. The reason for posting here was to find some fresh contacts.

All the best,

David Stewart

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭osmethod

Sorry David, Bono Fides or not I agree totally with Capt'n Midnighht.

Yes, there may be plenty of companies using wireless and yes they may be delighted to have their details published in the "Irish Independent".

However, if I was a hacker type individual, I'd scrutinise the details you'd publish. You might give me a list of companies that would focus my attention in a particular direction. Out with the scanners and lets see whats open/vulnerable.....

If you tried social engineering with myself on behalf of my company, to be quite frank, I'd tell you lies... assuming, like Capt'n, I wouldn't hang up.

You could actually indirectly and probably unintentionally cause companies problems by the content of your article, depnding on what that content is...

For senior persons in companies who are employed to ensure the integrity and security of systems within an organisation, the last thing is needed (in my opinion only) is for someone to be trying to acquire details and then throw them back saying you should do this you should do that....this shoud have happened and that shouldn't have happened etc....

Absolutely no disrespect intended...

osmethod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭redsupper

unemployed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭osmethod

Sorry David.... not meaning to be sarcastic....

Does your company use wireless networking?

osmethod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Most of the larger universities and colleges have fairly extensive systems, you might want to take a look at them as well...

Advertisement