Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stupid question dolby 5.1

Options
  • 01-03-2005 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

i have a Sony stereo receiver STR DE375
    2 Tannoy M1's a Gale center speaker & 2 x Gale rear speakers - (Sub still to be bought) But my dilema is i dont have a dvd player - just a playstation 2 - this has DTS but is this sufficient to play dolby 5.1 dvd's
    Any advice to get maximum performace
    Thanks in anticipation to anyone who can help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭full forward

You need to use the optical output on your PS2 and connect to an optical in on your reciever. THis will give you 5.1.

That is assuming your reveiver has a 5.1 decoder.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

masteire wrote:
    i have a Sony stereo receiver STR DE375
    2 Tannoy M1's a Gale center speaker & 2 x Gale rear speakers - (Sub still to be bought) But my dilema is i dont have a dvd player - just a playstation 2 - this has DTS but is this sufficient to play dolby 5.1 dvd's
    Any advice to get maximum performace
    Thanks in anticipation to anyone who can help.

Hi Masteire, welcome to boards.

I think the PS2 has Dolby Digital not DTS. Anyway, the dvd kit comes the a breakout box that will give you the required digital connection.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭hansov

Timely thread! If I wanted to hook up surround sound (5.1 or the like) to my son's PS2 (not the new thin version) what would I have to get and do? I see that there is a USB-type socket on the front. Any help from you folks would be gratefully accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

There is a black Blanking plug on the back of the old style PS2's remove this and it is a Digital Optical Out connection, so you need an optical cable and an optical input on your amplifier.

I have been using this now for years, when watching DVDs it doesn’t matter if the disc is in DD or DTS as the raw signal is sent over the Optical Cable just like a Coaxial cable, and your amplifier decodes it. Of course your amplifier has to support DTS.

Anyway it’s quite easy to set up and makes a huge difference to games; Gran Turismo 3 is excellent on a 5.1 system especially with a beefy sub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭masteire

Thanks for all your advice to date but it seems my Amp/receiver doesn't have a digital imput -
    Im lost im now totally lost - what to do next is beyond me -
    Any ideas??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,227 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

That is because your amp is not a 5.1 amp and only supports Dolby Pro-Logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭masteire

I cant seem to find many websites with the exact features however I did find these below - Can some one tell me should I persevere with (what seems to be a crap amplifier) or go and buy a decent digital, dolby, pro logic, DTS digi, dopey me DDDT - what am i missing help!)

these are the specs:

ProLogic Receiver
    5.1 Channel Input
    Auto Tuning
    RDS/EON
    SubWoofer Output
    Dolby ProLogic
    50W X 5 Power Output
    DCS Cinema Studio Modes
    Remote Control
    Available in Black or Silver Finish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Buy a proper Amp!!!!

Check out Pioneer, Marantz, Denon or Yamaha etc

Stay well away from the Argos/Curries/Dixons rubbish

Prices for a proper amp start at about 200 euro. Also consider a 2nd hand one, people into this stuff are forever upgrading to the latest model, and there are 2nd hand bargains to be had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mobile04

souds a little lame. but i know its expencive for what you would probably like to have
    pioneer dts 6.1 es and 5.1 sweet mama

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

the denon av1is the mother amps at the mo. denon have very good amps from the 1805 to 3805. i got mine withe the mission m8's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Guy selling a Yamaha 630 here
    This is 2 generations old in Yamaha terms - was a much loved amp at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

hansov wrote:
    Timely thread! If I wanted to hook up surround sound (5.1 or the like) to my son's PS2 (not the new thin version) what would I have to get and do? I see that there is a USB-type socket on the front. Any help from you folks would be gratefully accepted.

Sorry about the slight off-topicness, but PS2 only supports digital audio (DTS/Dolby) for DVD playback! It does not support digital for games. It does, however, support Dolby ProLogic II for games (which, in a way, is better because the latency involved in encoding digital audio is unacceptable in games).

To get ProLogicII 5.1 output for games, hook your PS2 up to a ProLogicII capable receiver using the normal red & white stereo a/v cables and the receiver will do all the decoding.

Advertisement