Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just wondering

• 01-03-2005 7:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭

hey i graduated in may 2004 and still havent got an engineering job yet and i am wondering are their many other people in the same bota as me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Experience counts for loads im afraid in Engineering. Heard of people not getting work for ages then *bang* inundated with offers. Just be patient - have you joined www.iei.ie have job offers and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

yeah been a member there since 3rd year in college

i had an interview about a month ago, didnt get as i was told i didnt have enough exp but then they went on to say that i should get exp before the 2005 graduates come out....sometimes i wonder about people :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

Just out of curiosity what branch of engineering u doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Im the same as that, Graduated June 04 and still have not got a position. Its the vicious circle isnt it. You need experiance to get the Eng positions and you cant get the position without experiance!!

Gradireland is a good site, sign up if you have not already.

I did however get a call back today for a second round interview so hopefully that will go well. :)

I am a manufacturing/Biomedical engineer by the way, i think jobs are a plenty in the civ/mechanical areas and also i see a load of electronic positions out there. But patience is needed! ;)

im in manufacturing engineering

both manuf and mechanical jobs arent very plentiful at the moment

but there are loads of civil, structural and building services jobs out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭BlueShaun

I graduated from Queens in 2003 (aero)

I finished a masters(aero & computation) in southampton in November (got a distinction) and nothing doing.

Again, caught in the experience trap.

I got kinda messed round while an undergrad, the euro introduction caused a 25% reduction in real value of the grant (relative to sterling), so i couldn`t take those £100-150 p/w placements!

woohoo no longer trapped :-)
    i got a job (finally) working in intel should be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭BlueShaun

IEI say i cant join as the courses i took arent accredited! (see above)

I would honestly think they are of at the very least of a standard equivalent to the best in Ireland?!

Is this the same for everyone?

Not too worried as the jobs on the site seem quite limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

BlueShaun wrote:
    IEI say i cant join as the courses i took arent accredited! (see above)

I would honestly think they are of at the very least of a standard equivalent to the best in Ireland?!

Is this the same for everyone?

Not too worried as the jobs on the site seem quite limited.

the problem is that the IEI generally don't accredit courses outside the republic. there should be a british organisation for that.

it there no british orgraniasiton you can join instead?

maybe these:
    http://www.raes.org.uk/raes/professionalstandards/qualification.asp

the main advantage of joining the IEI is gettign chartered engineer status later on in your career. this qualification is recognised around the world.

i did elec and comp eng and joined the IEI, but the governing body in my field is the IEE in england. the IEE just recognise anyone the IEI recognises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

themole wrote:
    the problem is that the IEI generally don't accredit courses outside the republic

Sometimes inside Ireland too.
    Got my Dip in Mech Eng in CIT which is now known as a Pass Degree. Fine yipee for new people. They will not change the Dip to pass degree (even though i just left). So i contacted them to say if i graduate in UL and only get a pass its the same as doing a 3yr course in an IT Yes/No.................Yes?

As you can imagine went nuts and found there is some pissy loop hole about the IT Mech Degrees and the Uni Mech Degrees,that they are differnet some how. Thank god the Uni brought in when you garduate you know hav an honorary degree 1-3 or some rubbish.

Bottom line ask and make sure (Rant over)

• Advertisement
Advertisement