Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ed Reilly

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

I accept that a full, frank and public apology is a suitable first step to take in this issue. I thank Ruth for engaging in this.

However, since the damage continues to be done by the circulation of this article, it is also essential to recall all copies of the current University Record IMMEDIATELY and destroy them - as anyone who picks up this newspaper will read this slanderous article.

Since this is such a gross aberration - it is also essential that the full, unreserved apology by editor of the university record features AT LEAST AS PROMINENTLY in the newspaper as the original, very damaging and slanderous article.

Only then can the integrity of the University Record as a newspaper for the students of Trinity be restored.

The policy of publicising under false pretences must also cease. The danger of doing so can be VERY clearly seen in this incident. Clarification of the identity of "Jennifer Davis" is essential.

Although where errors of judgement have occurred - let us not rest on this issue so long as ALL the previous steps are undertaken. I look forward to the continued success of the University record as an outlet of student news in Trinity College Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

God that really is just so incredibly low. I really do feel so bad for Ed, I can't believe how incredibly nasty people are being to such a genuinely lovely guy. That's just so sly to make up a name, and whoever wrote that about him should be ashamed of themselves. They obviously know it's wrong, why else be so cowardly and hide behind some fake name? If you're going to make claims like that, and drag someone elses name into the mud, you should at least be prepared to stand up and put your name to it.

wayfarer wrote:
    2. Every student in TCD is a member of the TCD Students Union (aka the SU).
    Yeah!! I specifically remember Francis Keiran saying to us in Freshers week that "You guys are the students union"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

wayfarer wrote:
    :D
    :D:D
    :D:D:D

Actually no, You have freedom of association, you don;t have to join the student union. I know people who never paid their dues and htus never joined. the SU don't advertise the fact that you don't have to be a member.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Chick wrote:

Yeah!! I specifically remember Francis Keiran saying to us in Freshers week that "You guys are the students union"?

you're not. Francis was lying.

Ed likes to masturbate into the drinking fountains. True story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭wayfarer

Taken from tcd.ie
    The Students' Union is the only representative body for all students in College. It has the dual and complementary functions of representing students' interests both inside and outside College and of providing student services.
    Boston wrote:
    Actually no, You have freedom of association, you don;t have to join the student union. I know people who never paid their dues and htus never joined. the SU don't advertise the fact that you don't have to be a member.
    What are you talking about? :confused: Where does it say that? Can you not just give up and admit that you were wrong.

:eek: OMG Ive just figured out who wrote the article. It was Boston here. His hatred for Ed, referring to anonymous sources etc, its all so clear :D

wayfarer wrote:
    What are you talking about? :confused: Where does it say that? Can you not just give up and admit that you were wrong.

:eek: OMG Ive just figured out who wrote the article. It was Boston here. His hatred for Ed, referring to anonymous sources etc, its all so clear :D

Your wrong, and unless you can provide another scource other then the SU I'll keep my opinion. Seriously dude you don't have to join the student union. the other half never joined last year as a result of forgetting about it (county council pay your fees, You pay SU levy) walked up to the registration desk, had he hadn't paid SU levy and also said he had no intention of, she said no problem.

Theres a thread on here about it. It's somehting to do with the USI, also the SU isn't a union, its a representative body.

As for eddy, I would have signed my name. Also I wouldn't have been so nice to the twat.

btw Boston, isnt that the USI that you opt out of by not paying the fees?

Nope, Join one, join both. It actually came up as a USI standing conference this weekend. The president made it quiet clear what the situation was. that said the fast majority of the levy goes the the USI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭wayfarer

Boston wrote:
    Your wrong, and unless you can provide another scource other then the SU I'll keep my opinion.
    Read the title on the second one, its from the trinity college website, not the SU (and how can you have an opinion on this? Its not subjective, were dealing with facts)

• Advertisement

Well reality differs from fiction in that case. Your not going to convince me that you have to be a member of the SU since I know people that arn't.

we're getting off topic here thought. Back on topic, I heard Ed and stef are an item, Imagine the crazy ass children. I also heard Ed likes stef to wear a strap on, and pour candel wax all over his...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Without going too far off topic. All capitated students are automatically considered by the SU and College to be members of the Union. You do not pay an itemised membership fee to the SU and there is no opting in or opting out. This does not affect your consitutional rights as the SU is an organisation styling itself as a Union, when it is in fact a service. It claims its relationship to you as membership, but it doesn't expect anything financial or otherwise from you in return. The same relationship covers your indirect payments to CSC, DUCAC, DU Publications and the GSU, which come out of your capitation fee. You don't opt in or out of those either, they are part of what TCD offers as part of your student services.

You can on the other hand opt not to pay your USI levy and, in theory, opt out of being a member of USI by not paying. I presume that what Francis was getting at is that technically unions not students affiliate to USI and hence their members join by default. However, since your membership is explicitly charged on top of your contractual obligation to Trinity you are allowed to register without paying the levy. This all stems from actions taken by some friends of mine and some former law students after we reaffiliated in 2001.

As for Boston's claim that he knows some people that aren't members of TCDSU, either they haven't paid their fees or they attend another college. It's not like anyone gives you a secret decoder ring and a membership card when you join, it just happens the moment you register thus accepting the College rules and regulations, including that you are a member of the Union.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

One other thing - if there are any moderators out there I'd suggest closing this thread, as it is getting personal and offensive to people who aren't here to defend themselves, and who have only attracted this attention because they chose to run for a badly paid job with terrible hours and more complaints than congratulations.

i sat through a very long and very boring speach by the president of the USI on saturday, where he outlined reasons why USI and SU couldn't be disaffiliated on a member by member bases. Also I'm pretty sure(despite what its used for) that levy is called the student union levy, not the USI levy. As for the SU, yes we all know it's not a real union, its a representative body, likewise the USI isn't a union, but I think they call themselves somehting else, (seriously boring speach).

I think the key would here is " considered". Also I should have the right to be removed from the SU mailing list. I requested five times, and now I just forward SU emails back to francis.

As for Eddy, infairness I didn't like the guy long before this elections and this thread. people run for SU for their future carriers, nothing more. Well maybe welfare and education, are different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

The SU gets no money from the levy (sorry to be nitpicky here). There are no 'dues' for the TCD Students' Union (hence we're pretty poor). Membership of the SU is about entitlement, really - i.e. you are entitled to vote in elections, attend meetings, etc. There is no fee to join and there are no benefits attached (apart from all the wonderful things we do for you, of course, but that's open to challenge on so many levels, so I won't get started!)

There is no formal separate register of 'SU members' - voting etc is purely a duplicate of Trinity's list of registered on-books students. Does that make any sense? I.e. in the elections last week, all currently registered students were entitled to vote. No exceptions, no names crossed out.

The SU gets its money from Trinity like clubs and societies do (a small amount of the registration fee, paid by students or on their behalf by the Government), and also from any surplus in the shop, DUST, travelcards etc.

Don't you guys have a budget of 333,000 annually. Thats as much as the csc gets for all societies. Where does the money go. Hookers and cocaine and stef's orgy parties thats where.

As for the SU thing, hmm, USI tell a different story. While I know who gets the money, the USI claim you can't opt out of membership.

Boston wrote:
    Also I should have the right to be removed from the SU mailing list. I requested five times, and now I just forward SU emails back to francis.

Unfortunately we don't have the technology to do this. IS Services sends out emails on our behalf (also on behalf of library, counselling, etc.), so we don't have a list of addresses or anything. But it's a valid point, and one that the Helpdesk should address. I sometimes get complaints from class reps about the same thing for class lists, but again, ISS have the keys to the kingdom.

Agree on boring speeches though - I do so sometimes as well, and I'm pretty bad at them, especially where it's just a 'speech to say something nice'. I hate it, and go all awkward...

Boston wrote:
    Don't you guys have a budget of 333,000 annually. Thats as much as the csc gets for all societies. Where does the money go. Hookers and cocaine and stef's orgy parties thats where.

Damn you investigative journalists.

Yeah, SU, CSC and DUCAC get roughly the same amount (we don't have the Pav cash cow though :mad: ). CSC and DUCAC give most of their budget out to individual clubs, but don't have the same staffing costs etc. Full time staff get paid (shop and admin), as well as officers (much lower wages), and then money gets spent on campaigns, meetings, etc. as well as on the likes of the Record and Ents (although the aim is for both of them to break even or close to it). The accounts were published last year and if you PM me I can get you a fuller copy - TN and the Record reported on them too, although the focus was of course the loss in DUST (travel).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Less of the Steph bashing! She's damn hot and stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Boston wrote:

EduCat wrote:
    Damn you investigative journalists.

Yeah, SU, CSC and DUCAC get roughly the same amount (we don't have the Pav cash cow though :mad: ). CSC and DUCAC give most of their budget out to individual clubs, but don't have the same staffing costs etc. Full time staff get paid (shop and admin), as well as officers (much lower wages), and then money gets spent on campaigns, meetings, etc. as well as on the likes of the Record and Ents (although the aim is for both of them to break even or close to it). The accounts were published last year and if you PM me I can get you a fuller copy - TN and the Record reported on them too, although the focus was of course the loss in DUST (travel).

errr... the budget for 2004 alone was about 550,000 euro. Excuse the economics corrections but a budget is "a plan or estimate of expected income and expense for a period of time". That was about 550k for 2004. And of that money, about 330,000 euro or so comes from capitation...

Boston wrote:
    Ed likes to masturbate into the drinking fountains. True story.
    Boston wrote:
    As for eddy, I would have signed my name. Also I wouldn't have been so nice to the twat.
    Boston wrote:
    I also heard Ed likes stef to wear a strap on, and pour candel wax all over his...

Why are you being so mean to him?! :mad:

What has he ever done on you?? :( Can someone please explain what on earth he has done that deserves all the abuse he's getting?? He can't even write back, just like the thing in the paper. You're just as bad because you're doing the exact same thing. Jeez!! :mad:

actually concerning the piece in the paper, iirc Ruth has said he can write back about it if he wants to, there will be a printed apology etc.

Also, Ed really doesnt seem to want to make an issue of this so while i agree with Indy on some of his points, i really think this thread should be closed or go off topic or somesuch - its kinda unfair.

also, in fairness, if you put yourself up for a public SU position you gotta be ready for some bashing. its gonna happen. just the record really wasnt the place for someone to vent that.

Chick wrote:
    Why are you being so mean to him?! :mad:

What has he ever done on you?? :( Can someone please explain what on earth he has done that deserves all the abuse he's getting?? He can't even write back, just like the thing in the paper. You're just as bad because you're doing the exact same thing. Jeez!! :mad:

It's like this, I'm an engineer, eddy is the ultimate art student, from his hair, to his voice, to his whole world outlook. Engineers (and to a lesser extent Cs heads) eat arts students and use their shattered dones to take down out notes. We are the future.

You are the future? :rolleyes:

Well you're also quite arrogant tbh. You think that just because you're doing engineering that you're better than someone else?? Get real.

Your attitude toward would be different if he wasn't an Arts student I'll bet.
    How have superficial things like his hair and his accent got anything to do with what kind of person he is or even what kind of Council member he could've been? You're unfairly judging him, and frankly I don't think he deserves it. If someone slagged off one of you guys over their hair or something trivial like that, you'd be the first to say "It's my hair, I can wear it any way I want" etc etc.

Leave him alone for Christs sake.

Chick wrote:
    You are the future? :rolleyes:

Well you're also quite arrogant tbh. You think that just because you're doing engineering that you're better than someone else?? Get real.

Better then a bloody arts student.

Your attitude toward would be different if he wasn't an Arts student I'll bet

Even if he wasn't an Arts block person (probably doing bess now that I think of it) He would still be an Orts student.
    How have superficial things like his hair and his accent got anything to do with what kind of person he is or even what kind of Council member he could've been?

The presidency of the SU is a popularity contest, this sort of discrimination is what it's all about. Hell stef got elected cause she has nice tits.
    You're unfairly judging him, and frankly I don't think he deserves it.

You can be sure he deserves it.
    If someone slagged off one of you guys over their hair or something trivial like that, you'd be the first to say "It's my hair, I can wear it any way I want" etc etc.

It's not his hair, its what he represents, tools everywhere. And engineers use tools.

Leave him alone for Christs sake.

No.

Boston wrote:
    Better then a bloody arts student.
    How though? thats what I'm asking you. How are you one bit better than anyone else eh? just because you're doing a different course, you're more valuable in society? you're more important?

you are just another student.
    just a face in the crowd.
    so get down off your high horse and give it a break will you?

boston wrote:
    You can be sure he deserves it.
    I'll ask again. WHY does he deserve it? I've already admitted i dont know why, can you not just tell me what could possibly be so teribble?something quite trivial in the grand scheme of things I'll bet.

boston wrote:
    It's not his hair, its what he represents, tools everywhere. And engineers use tools.
    That is such a close minded and ignorant statement. who are you to call him a tool after the way you've been carrying on? take a look at yourself first boston. :rolleyes:

Engineers are more valuable to society then Ed reilly. Engineers build hospitals, Ed reilly's loose elections QED.

Have to admitt I've been doing a fair amounth of trollage in this thread. Honest opinion is that Ed reilly came off as abite of a prick on both occasions he ran for election. you weren't around last year chick, the guy was very poorly organised and tried to get elected by making grand statements, promised the world to everyone if he got elected. simple fact was he knew and we knew, if elected he could deliver on none of it. Dealing with intellignet people who don't like to be taken for a ride.

Also a fuking wine off licence, wow he really read the audience on that one, tool.

Backto trollage.

I'm a member of the "union" that who. Just because you want into eddies pants...

Boston wrote:
    Engineers are more valuable to society then Ed reilly. Engineers build hospitals, Ed reilly's loose elections QED.
    you can build what you want, but you can't design a personality can you?
    boston wrote:
    you weren't around last year chick
    I know i wasnt yeah, thats why i wanted to know why you seem to hate him so much thats all

boston wrote:
    Just because you want into eddies pants...

:rolleyes: Good one(!)

• Advertisement

Chick wrote:
    I know i wasnt yeah, thats why i wanted to know why you seem to hate him so much thats all

your question has be answered. We hate him because of his carry on last year. When it wasn't as easy for him to hide the real him behind spin. Now when we see him doing things, we know why.

Eddy and chick, sitting on a tree, K I S S I N G.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement