Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA, 'Half-Life 2' battle for best game

Options
  • 01-03-2005 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

The International Game Developers Association has announced nominees for the fifth annual Game Developers Choice Awards, a venue for peer-to-peer recognition in the industry.

The awards will be handed out at a March 9 awards ceremony at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco.

Up for best game are "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas," "Half-Life 2," "Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude," "Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door" and "Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords." Other awards will be handed out in categories including audio, character design, game design and writing. Also set to be given out on March 9 are the Community Contribution, First Penguin and Maverick awards.

More......

GTA GTA GTA GTA GTA GTA GTA GTA GTA GTA GTA
    And thats my contribution to the biggie game award.

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

KdjaC wrote:
    "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas," "Half-Life 2," "Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude," "Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door" and "Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords."

For 100 points: Spot the odd-game out folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 TimAnne

KdjaC wrote:
    Up for best game are "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas," "Half-Life 2," "Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude," "Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door" and "Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords."
    how in the sweet name of **** did that get in :confused:
    surely mp2:e deserved that place?
    i guess they were going for one pc, ps2, xbox and gc game, along with one multiformat.
    quite how they came to the conclusion that leisure suit larry is the best multiformat game out there is beyond me...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i think half life 2 should win. astounding graphics, sound, design and engine. gta has poor sound, "ok" graphics, and a third-party engine...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Of the nominees I'd go for Half-life 2. However I believe there were far better games released this year that didn't get a nod, namely MP2:e, Gradius V and Ninja Gaiden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

i think half life 2 should win. astounding graphics, sound, design and engine. gta has poor sound, "ok" graphics, and a third-party engine...

Gtas sound and use of voice acting and radio stations is possibly thr best use of sound ever in a game. And its wuite a big game with 50 hours to complete it and 100 to to get everything, so if thats taken into account Hl2 fecked :D

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

Leisure suit larry??? Jesus. Reminds me of el hadji diouf getting into fifas all time top 100 players last year sometime... Of the serious nominations I'd go for hl2 but I still haven't played gta:sa yet

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I'd have to go with half-life 2 on this one.

GTA:SA, while selling bucketloads, is only a slight evolution of the genre, by that i mean that it seems like an expansion pack of GTA:VC. Making a game bigger and including more weapons/vehicles/whatever is not all that great a leap from the last one.

Half-life 2 didn't seem to be revolutary either, but it evoled a hell of a lot of things into one cohesive package. The physics, graphics, storyline(Okay, this one is debatable) and gameplay combine to make this a giant leap forward in terms of immersion. I've never been so drawn into a game world before.

This is based on my assumption that the awards should be handed out based on the impact that a game has on the gaming industry, and not based on the profit made, or numbers sold, or popularity.

Tbh though, I think that these awards are fairly worthless. Just look at Leisure Suit Larry :eek: What the hell is a game that woeful doing in there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

From a technical point of view, Half Life 2 should get it for it's physics and graphics and I suppose thats what they'd look for at a developers conference.

As a game though GTA was in a class of its own in my opinion. Half Life 2 was just the same old tired walk around till you reach the next group of enemies gameplay. GTA was the same old GTA gameplay yes, but that's already a fantastic base and it added just enough to make it the most immersive game I've ever played, with seemingly limitless opportunities. The story, acting, radio stations are all amazing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Jaysus, a black sheep if I ever saw one.

I'd go with San Andreas.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

leisure suit larry wtf is that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Hmmm wonder where WoW is?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Loco wrote:
    leisure suit larry wtf is that

noob

smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

GTA:SA is a deadly game, but I think HL2 has to get first place for the reasons stated above, it is simply a bigger technical leap from HL to HL2 then GTA:VC to GTA:SA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Ive a confession. I bought GTA:SA and a slimline PS2 together when SA was released. Em, I played GTA for a maximum of 3 hours. Havent played it in 2 months. Now before I get bombarded by hardcore GTA (completed it 10 times blindfolded with no thumbs) fans, I just found it to be a big let down. In fairness, the PS 2 is under extreme pressure to try and have more than 5 vehicles on screen at once without choking. The control system is fiddly. the list goes on for me anyway.

I only think SA will be a truely classic game only when it gets released on the PC. Im holding off till then. If I play it anymore on the PS im gonna ruin the whole game.

Rant over.

Although I'm a big fan of Nintendo products, I would have to say Half Life 2.
    As someone else mentioned, the immersion factor is huge with this game and it completely realistic...hit someone standing on a tower with the crossbow...the way they fall and move is stunning.

Great game, hopefully this will get best graphics / engine, at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Loobz wrote:
    Ive a confession. I bought GTA:SA and a slimline PS2 together when SA was released. Em, I played GTA for a maximum of 3 hours. Havent played it in 2 months. Now before I get bombarded by hardcore GTA (completed it 10 times blindfolded with no thumbs) fans, I just found it to be a big let down. In fairness, the PS 2 is under extreme pressure to try and have more than 5 vehicles on screen at once without choking. The control system is fiddly. the list goes on for me anyway.

I only think SA will be a truely classic game only when it gets released on the PC. Im holding off till then. If I play it anymore on the PS im gonna ruin the whole game.

Rant over.

I totalluy agree GTA: SA is obviously a great game but on the PS2 it looks like a piece of **** , there is lag if too many veicheles and/or action is happening onscreen, the camera angle is all wrong while driving, God I hope that jazz up the PC version.

God I hope that jazz up the PC version

They will, dont worry. Imagine, SA will actually look nice for a change.

Oh, and Halflife 2 for the win. ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

HalfLife2 should win, since its a better game, but Gta will win, cause it PS2. and all Pc games are only for total nerds, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Out of the nominations, HL2 would be my pick.

Shame that WoW isn't in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

GTA:SA is a deadly game, but I think HL2 has to get first place for the reasons stated above, it is simply a bigger technical leap from HL to HL2 then GTA:VC to GTA:SA.
    By that logic, Doom 3 should win because it was a bigger technical leap from Doom 2 to Doom 3.

HL2 is an amazing game, but I finished it a week after I got it and haven't gone near it again since. With a truely great game, like Deus Ex or KOTOR, I will start playing it again right after finishing it. I keep coming back GTA:SA, and will probably get the PC version and play through that as well. It's a classic imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

dont know why ppl say half life should win, i think gta should win ive never come accross someone who hasnt liked the GTA games and i know that a lot of ppl have no interest in halflife 2

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Yes, GTA:SA is more popular so clearly it's better :rolleyes:

It's just another version of the GTA games, I don't think it deserves game of the year at all. Half Life 2 probably doesn't either, but out of those nominations, it's definitely what I'd vote for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Easy-C

In five years time will people still be playing hl2 + mods? Yes.

No competition, hl2 is a better game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Hmmm, i'd vote for Paper Mario 2 as i had more fun with than either HL2 or GTA: SA.

The only reason i'm not going with HL2 is because of the steam hassle on install, and quite recently Steam decided that it no longer wanted to work and locked the game.

Now i know that Steam and HL2 the game aren't the same thing, but as far as i'm concerned Its a barrier to enjoying the game i can't get around, kinda like a dodgy control system, or bad AI. And seeing as the two can't be seperated i'm going to judge them as one unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

dont know why ppl say half life should win, i think gta should win ive never come accross someone who hasnt liked the GTA games and i know that a lot of ppl have no interest in halflife 2
    I don't like the GTA games.

My vote here goes to PM2, because it's the only one of the games here that I've played, and it's great fun. Half-Life 2 looks amazing, but my computer would die if I tried to run it.
    And why in the world according to garp was Leisure Suit Larry nominated over Metroid Prime 2: Echoes?
    *shakes head*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

And why in the world according to garp was Leisure Suit Larry nominated over Metroid Prime 2: Echoes?
    *shakes head*

I didn't think MP2:E was worthy of a top five place for last year (because it seemed rushed to me, it just wasn't metroidy enough for my liking:))

As for the rest of the contenders, Larry is obviously out of place, but I bet he will score higher than PM2!!

FWIW I reckon the top5 of the year, in order, should be:

1. GradiusV(funnest game of 2004 imo)
    2. HL2(for sheer polished-ness)
    3. Katamary Damacy(only had a mess of this at a mates house in England, but it's THE most original game ever, there's no emoticon for how much fun it is! Marks docked for the lack of PAL release :rolleyes: )
    4. PM2(you can't not like it... just give it a chance)
    5. Donkey Konga Jungle-whatever(Bongos?!!)

GTA was docked to about 8th place imo, partly because as has been said it's basiclally an expansion pack, mainly because it was painful at times to watch the PS2 struggling to cope with it!

EDIT: **** forgot about VF4 and PES4... honourable mentions:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Well I haven't played the new Leisure Suit Larry, but if it's in any way like the previous games it deserves an awful lot of credit for humour and character design and doesn't deserve the sad loner game tag it's gotten(though from what I understand this one is more about the sex and less about the humour of larry trying to get some). Echoes probably didn't get a mention because it was a simple evolution of the franchise compared to half life 2 and san andreas(I don't like it but I will admit admit it's an impressive achievement).

But to be honest, nothing in that list even compares to half life 2-from a design standpoint any way, and the only game of last year that I think goes toe to toe with it is Ground Control 2, but that's just my opinion, and apparently I'm crazy for thinking that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Unfortunatly the new Lesuire suit Larry is medicore at best. Awful dissapointment. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

Ground Control 2, but that's just my opinion, and apparently I'm crazy for thinking that.....

haha, I was really looking forward to that last year, but the demo seemed a bit meh, usually I wait till I've played the full game to judge it though but with work and whatever I never got this.

I must pick it up, reckon it's going cheap these days?

The first one is one of my favorite games ever:)

Advertisement