Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Ec

• 01-03-2005 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Is anyone else having trouble with this subject?

We spent all last year doing that stupid journal.I'm finding it very hard to get into it.The sociology part is ok because once you get the gist alot of it's common sense.It's just the food parts(which take up practically all the book)and the household parts. :(

I open the book but it's so big and iffy and feels impossible!Any study tips for learning the properties of food etc? :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Rebel Chick

Hi
    I know what you mean we also spent last year doing that journal. That stupid thing was such a waste of time. We are way behind in de course because of it. I wish there was tips because i have my pre in home ec tomorrow and i'm goosed. The course is so big i don't know where to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭lestats_bride

lol mines tomorrow too!Good luck!

It's just the biggest book ever!It's like War and Peace except that's way more fun!

Defineatly. I'd prefer to learn the dictionary than to learn this. I can't even bring myself to open the book. It's got BORING written all over it. Have you any hints on what's coming up on de paper?

well our teacher gave us a few hints: such as poverty for the elective!well actually it went like this;

"Girls bring in your electives on Monday."
    ...2 mins later
    "Have we done poverty?"
    ...2 mins later
    "Ok...never mind the elective!"

Do iron.define haem and non-haem iron and do the nutritive value of meat!i'm hoping the family and resource management are the other q's because they are a lil more common sensical.

Short questions are the evils though!

Ya i don't know where they find them short questions cause half the time i can't find the answers in the book. We did the housing elective not the social one.
    I think i have a fair idea of meat but i haven't a clue of any of the nutrients and rda's or that stuff. Our teacher told us nothing and we haven't half the course covered. I'm soooo confuddled.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Yup id agree. I can get on grand in it all apart from all the science!

What book have you?

- Sully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Cecilia

Hi!
    I did Social & Scientific/Home Economics for my leaving cert two years ago, and I got an A1 at higher level. I can assure you while it seems like a lots of work, it's relatively easy. There are tips for the exam every year, listen to them, some of them will ALWAYS come up. Look back over the previous years, you will notice some patterns, and will be able to eliminate some subjects in your studies. I left out sociology and Food entirely. I knew all the home things really well and I also knew physiology backwards, and all the vitamins, minerals, carbs, lipids etc. I know Sociology seems like an easy option, but it is really hard to get good marks in. I would recommend leaving it out. I never bothered with the journal, and I was fine. They rarely ask to see it, and if they do, they always give notice, so you can write up one quickly. Best of luck, and any questions PM me.

There's only one past paper,that's the problem!There are sample papers but when you compare them to the one that came up last year it's very different.Our journals have already been posted up to the department for correction.

Sully,I've got the yellow book Live and Learn.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

There's only one past paper,that's the problem!There are sample papers but when you compare them to the one that came up last year it's very different.Our journals have already been posted up to the department for correction.

Sully,I've got the yellow book Live and Learn.

Yup - thats because the course is now different! So the other posters comments may not be fully "connected" though I would suggest learning of the easy bits well, vitamins, minerals, carbs, lipids etc. is a must though (for the short questions). Here is what I recommened (and im not the best at the subject):

Do all exam papers (even samples) in a A4 pad, then correct your mistakes and learn them off. Do this repeating, gets you to learn the stuff you didnt know and improve on answers etc. Also, look back over any past exams YOU done yourself (Xmas for example). For me, I get a test on the Thursday of every week on what we done so far in a chapter. Get over 50% all the time :) If your teacher doesnt do that herself, do it yourself! Its great way to learn stuff.

skool.ie may have some tips but I dont like the site that much, have a look at the stickys theres a link to some good sites there. Iv some notes that may be usefull, iv I get the time ill scan em and upload em :) (bare with me, I dont have much time on my hands though!)

I dont have that back -- so dunno what its like!

Hope I was of some use.

- Sully

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

At least you have a past paper! I went in to that exam last year without any clue of what was ahead of me and it was a total bitch of an exam too. I went down from my mocks grade!

The journal thing was horrible, we had no idea what they wanted. They wouldnt tell the teachers anything and we had way less time to do them then you did since the ASTI only decided to agree to the new course when we were halfway through 5th year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 agloriousbite

would home ec be to hard to take up in one year? take note a friend would help me with journal so besides fronm journal would it be too much in one year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

would home ec be to hard to take up in one year? take note a friend would help me with journal so besides fronm journal would it be too much in one year?

I think it would be hard if you were not extremely focused. Im sure it would be as hard as taking any other subject up in a year. I think a teacher has to sign off on the journal and also there is not long left, I think it is taken up in october so you really would need to get cracking. Good luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

A home ec teacher needs to sign off on the journal which is 20%. I think it would be very foolish to choose this subject if you don't do the journal. Journal aside you definitely need the guidance from a home ec teacher as you need to do an "elective" which is a question on written paper than is worth another 20%!

Advertisement