Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Windows XP/Laptop hardware detection problem

• 01-03-2005 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

The machine in question is a Packard Bell Imedia 5280.

It belongs to a friend who asked me to service the laptop, ie reformat it and set it up again, after getting a bad rash of virii. Anyways, after much misadventure, I managed to install XP Professional and I've run into a unique problem that's pretty much a first for me-Windows didn't detect its hardware right. Just to be sure, I booted into Knoppix as well and had the same problem. Specifically it doesn't detect the graphics card, sound card and 56k modem. Even after I downloaded and installed the drivers from the Packard Bell site, for that specific machine...it didn't work. Both Windows and Knoppix only identified them as "generic" items.

Its an SIS 650 integrated graphics card, SigmaTel C-Major (STAC97N) sound card and a Smartlink CNR2900 modem.

Now I considered myself something of a geek, but this has absolutely stumped me. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Go into the registry and look down through the HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI (usually graphics adapters appear under PCI - your mileage may vary).

You should be able to determine the PCI vendor and device ID. Just hunt around the web for an INF (& drivers) with matching ID's. You might also want to look at the %WINDIR%\setupapi.log. That might give you a hint as to what's going wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I got the video working by using an older driver, but unfortunately sound is still a problem. SigmaTel don't provide support themselves and apparently no one but Packard Bell actually use the bloody sound card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I've a sigmatel sound card on my new Dell Inspiron 8600c laptop. Try the dell site?

I hate to dig a post up like this, but I'm still stuck on this. :mad:

The Dell drivers detected the hardware, but told me they weren't the ones for my card. Eventually I tried the Realtek AC97 drivers-these worked perfectly...but I still have no sound. It seems to be muted somewhere. I checked the controls on the keyboard, but it doesn't seem to be muted there. Any suggestions?

^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

Fenster wrote:
    The machine in question is a Packard Bell Imedia 5280.

It belongs to a friend who asked me to service the laptop

that link you gave is for the packard bell desktop, did you mean to link to the easynote F5280 laptop, if so that laptop has a SIS Titan N Motherboard, did you try the drivers off the SIS website?

http://www.sis.com/download/

Try the audio drivers for the sis7012.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement