Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Live setup with NTL BB ??

Options
  • 01-03-2005 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

I just got NTL Broadband's 750k line installed yesterday and am having trouble setting up Xbox live on it. I previously had DSL through Esat and it worked fine.

I am trying to do the direct connection just simply plugging the modem into the Xbox. When i turn the Xbox on and try to connect to Live i get the following error: No DNS server addresses were received from the DCHP or PPPoE server. Enter the DNS Server(s) provided by your ISP in the network settings menu.

Anyone here use NTL for Xbox live ? Anyone any ideas what to do ?

Cheers !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

NTL will only allow you to have one network device connected to your modem at a time,the modem logges the MAC address of you PC and will only allow that access to the network(so you have to reset the modem to pick up that MAC of ypour box) for xbox live! they suggest that you unplug the modem, connect you xbox and the plug your modem back in, power cyceling they call it. :rolleyes: Pain the the arse if ya ask me, so I bought myself a router, connected that to the modem and my pc and xbox to it, not a single problem since. :D

All the info you need should be here

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Thanks, I must get myself a router then.

I did try turning off the modem, hooking up the xbox and then turning back on the modem but still got the error mentioned above ???

I'll give it another go tonight.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I actually use it through my pc (ICS) - you need the PC on to play but it doesn't require any router

Hyzepher

I again tried unplugigng everything and powering the modem up again but it is still giving me the same error. Any ideas ???

@ Hyzepher - How do i set it up through my PC ? I have an 8 port Newtork hub that i did want to use to allow the use of PC and Xbox live at same time. Any idea how to set this up ?

Cheers !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

how are ya gonna play with ur arm in a sling anyhow?

the error would suggest the XBOX isnt picking up an I.P address from the modem, is it static or dynamic IP addresses on NTL? If its static you would need to tell the xbox what IP and DNS servers to use, via the network settings mnu on the xbox (turn it on without a disc in and its the bottom option iirc)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

I've tried all the above but nothing works ???

Give NTL a ring, the are Xbox compliant and advertise it on their website, so maby they have an idea as to whats happening. Never had any issues with it before myself, just a quick thought, is your xbox set to pick up the network info automatically, worth a check in case anyone was messing about in the settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I have a router connected to my cable modem. Works no problems. Haven't tried it when its directly conneted, but for ease of use just get a router if you want multiple devices...

OK i have a router now and the xbox still wont pick up an IP address. I'v been onto NTL but they just say to reboot the modem and it should work but it doesn't. They can't offer any help other than that. I have everything configured to automotic on my xbox settings :confused:

• Advertisement

what i did was:

-> give my xbox a static ip address. 192.168.1.57 for example

-> you have to set up port range forwarding for your xbox on the router.

port 88 to 88 set to UDP and assign this to the xbox IP address.
    port 3074 to 3074 to both UDP and TCP and assign this to the xbox IP address.

port range forwarding is the term that is associated with this on my brand of router. I have a linksys router.

I found all this on the xbox website. I had it up and running in a matter of minutes....

good luck

Have you tried connecting your xbox to another one to see if your network card is working. Againg just guessing here, but its better to eleminate things then go on as ya are.

Left the modem unplugged over night, connected it to the xbox the next morning and it worked :)

Now i just gotta figure out how to have Xbox and PC on at same time !

All ya need is a router, just hook it up to your modem, the modem will only have to communicate with the router, so as far as the modem is concerned there is only one network device connected, and should be happy. The router will assaign both your xbox and pc IP address' and deal with their communication with the WAN and all in all everyone shoud be happy, including you, as you no longer have to wait to hook up on Live!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

im havin all these problems. have a wireless dlink router. its connected from my moden to onoe of the ports. then the router to the pc in another port. there are 3 others empty and i can connect

EDIT:im not gettin the same warning. i just get a thing sayin "could not connect" basically that there is no interweb connection. any help please?

evad_lhorg wrote:
    im havin all these problems. have a wireless dlink router. its connected from my moden to onoe of the ports. then the router to the pc in another port. there are 3 others empty and i can connect

EDIT:im not gettin the same warning. i just get a thing sayin "could not connect" basically that there is no interweb connection. any help please?

http://www.xbox.com/en-IE/live/start/connect/faq/

http://www.xbox.com/en-ie/live/start/connect/troubleshooting.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

see like wtf? i havnt a clue about this. tey dont explain to the not so pc knowledged.
    I rang ntl who gave me a number for xbox customer support and then he said i needed some ntl "gaming package" but i think that is england only.

Got myself a linksys router and everything is fine now. Cheers for all the replies lads.

@Third_Echelon - You any idea how to set up this router to allow bittorrent downloading ?

Btw - I'm using a McAfee firewall, will that affect it ?

Cheers !

evad_lhorg wrote:
    see like wtf? i havnt a clue about this. tey dont explain to the not so pc knowledged.
    I rang ntl who gave me a number for xbox customer support and then he said i needed some ntl "gaming package" but i think that is england only.

just take your time and go through it step by step. Follow the instructions that match your problem and it will sort it out for you.

As far as a 'gaming package', that sounds to be rubbish to be honest...

DaveD wrote:
    Got myself a linksys router and everything is fine now. Cheers for all the replies lads.

@Third_Echelon - You any idea how to set up this router to allow bittorrent downloading ?

Btw - I'm using a McAfee firewall, will that affect it ?

Cheers !

Im not sure about bit-torrent, as i dont use it myself...

• Advertisement

No probs, thanks anyway :)

DaveD - I have a D-Link router and I have never had to setup anything to allow downloading of torrents, it has just always worked, one thing to check is the port that the torrent app is useing, just change the port number(in the apps settings) and try it again.

Evil - I would say hit the reset on your router, make sure your modem is connected correctly, IE.. in the WAN spot. and just setup as per the instructions that came with your router, if your ISP uses a static IP for your connection then you will have to ensure that you set this up on your router, if not then make sure it is set to obtain the IP from your ISP.

Advertisement