Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hand from an STT

Options
  • 01-03-2005 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Ok... I know I won the hand but it's always easier to see where you went wrong when you lose a hand..... and I'm not sure I played this one very well and would be interested in comments .. although I will say I wasn't paying attention when I called from the SB and so 'forgot' that I'd be out of position...

HAND 4
    Game #384068263: Texas Hold'em No Limit (15/30) - 2005/03/01 - 21:02:29 (GMT)
    Table "STT1 383149 - 1" Seat 8 is the button.
    Seat 1: HUGE_PP (767 in chips)
    Seat 2: Bethanj (558 in chips)
    Seat 3: Clockwork (1195.50 in chips)
    Seat 4: Flippe002 (715 in chips)
    Seat 5: Mrgreedy (942 in chips)
    Seat 6: Til2705 (1742 in chips)
    Seat 7: Sabana (1960 in chips)
    Seat 8: Stocka (1172.50 in chips)
    Seat 10: Tourneque (948 in chips)
    Tourneque: posts small blind 15
    HUGE_PP: posts big blind 30
    ---- HOLE CARDS
    dealt to Tourneque [8h Kh]
    Bethanj: folds
    Clockwork: folds
    Flippe002: folds
    Mrgreedy: raises to 60
    Til2705: folds
    Sabana: folds
    Stocka: calls 60
    Tourneque: calls 45
    HUGE_PP: folds
    FLOP
    [4d 7h Ks]
    Tourneque: bets 130
    Mrgreedy: calls 130
    Stocka: folds
    TURN
    [4d 7h Ks][9d]
    Tourneque: bets 170
    Mrgreedy: calls 170
    RIVER
    [4d 7h Ks 9d][Qh]
    Tourneque: bets 180
    Mrgreedy: raises to 360
    Tourneque: calls 180
    SHOW DOWN
    Mrgreedy: shows [As 9h] (A Pair of Nines, Ace high)
    Tourneque: shows [8h Kh] (A Pair of Kings, Queen high)
    Tourneque collected 1530 from Main pot
    SUMMARY
    Total pot 1530 Main pot 1530 Rake 0
    Board [4d 7h Ks 9d Qh]
    Seat 1: HUGE_PP (big blind) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 2: Bethanj folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 3: Clockwork folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 4: Flippe002 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 5: Mrgreedy lost
    Seat 6: Til2705 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 7: Sabana folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 8: Stocka (button) folded on the Flop
    Seat 10: Tourneque (small blind) showed [8h Kh] and won (1530) with A Pair of Kings, Queen high

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Looks to me like you played it fine, especially if you thought that your opponent was fairly loose and would raise with a wide range of hands. It also helps that he was fairly passive until the river, and even then his min raise was worth a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Tourneque

Yeah... my feel was that he had A-rag

Although I couldn't figure out the river raise .. and will admit to being worried about Qx and that he had made 2 pair

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

I dont think you played it badly, preflop I would probablly complete if there were a few limpers, with 1 min raise and no callers I would probably fold. The reason for this is that whilst your hand is good, its a long shot to hit anything decent. Hitting top pair and no kicker from the blinds can be a huge drain on chips, against good players its much easier to play but at low stakes it can be a nightmare especially out of position. However with the stacks that deep it probably isnt much of a mistake, if it all.

On the flop a lot of players will lead out, including most successfull players. However I cant understand it, because for 160 chips you are telling your opponent that you have a goodish hand. He now knows exactly where you stand and can use that against you. He can try and take you off your hand, flat call and try and outdraw you or flat call to trap you. If you get in the habit of checking in this position then you given no information to him. If you check then you can either raise on the flop or on the turn.

Your turn bet is too small, it should be at least twice that, he knows what you have so make him pay to outdraw you.

Your river bet is bad as well, in that situation you should check because its unlikely that a worse hand will call, but you might induce a bluff. And it also means if you are out kickered you get a cheaper showdown. Betting sometimes is ok but a bet of 180 is pointless. Calling his min raise is automatic.

Words dont describe how bad your opponent played his hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Tourneque

Thanks Hector.

I agree it was a poor call from the SB.. I won't try to rationalise my thinking there.

On the flop, I realised my error and bet looking for some information... thinking that he had raised min with A-rag... but knowing I could be in kicker trouble ... against KQ perhaps... wasn't happy when he just called..

The turn bet.... I thought I was ahead and was took the chance that an A wouldn't drop. Also I felt if I was beaten I'd find out now.
    I think this is where I don't feel comfortable when I look at the hand...

River .... the problem I faced was I was out of position and although I still felt ok about Ax, if I checked I was showing some weakness and he could easily make a large bet and I'd be back to thinking KQ and be pushed off my hand. Eventually I decided on an amount similar to my earlier betting hoping to intice him just to call / dissuade him from raising.

Tourneque wrote:

River .... the problem I faced was I was out of position and although I still felt ok about Ax, if I checked I was showing some weakness and he could easily make a large bet and I'd be back to thinking KQ and be pushed off my hand. Eventually I decided on an amount similar to my earlier betting hoping to intice him just to call / dissuade him from raising.

Yeah a blocking bet, Im not a big fan of them either ;). In the long run making blocking bets costs you money, cause your stopping your opponents bluffing. A blocking bet makes sense for big pots when there is a ton of money behind and a scare card hits the river.

Anyway if you want to make a blocking bet then bet 2/3 of the pot at least, a decent player will realise what you are doing and a tiny bet like that is being asked to be reraised.

In general terms bets should be nearly always the size of the pot (or 2/3rds), unless there is a specific reason why not. That means that your bet size should increase on each street, I know that means that pots can spiral out of control, and sometimes check calling is better than leading out for that reason. If you leak information with the size of your bets its very easy for you opponents to outplay you. Obviously the lower limit you play the less this matters, but its a good idea not to pick up bad habits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭AmarilloFats

Yeah What Hector saaid..
    PF: you're grand but another limper or two would be a better situation...
    Flop: a nice lead
    Turn: POt it
    River: Check...Induce the bluff..or get a cheap showdown

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭AmarilloFats

On the flop a lot of players will lead out, including most successfull players. However I cant understand it, because for 160 chips you are telling your opponent that you have a goodish hand. He now knows exactly where you stand and can use that against you. He can try and take you off your hand, flat call and try and outdraw you or flat call to trap you. If you get in the habit of checking in this position then you given no information to him. If you check then you can either raise on the flop or on the turn.

Hey Hector...
    Com'ere, would ye talk us though why you think checking the flop is the best move here!!!
    Actually the more I think about the hand the more I would fold PF....Its not a nice situation

Hey Hector...
    Com'ere, would ye talk us though why you think checking the flop is the best move here!!!
    Actually the more I think about the hand the more I would fold PF....Its not a nice situation

Consider what would happen if the villain in the hand had any sense, if he doesnt have a K (or anything better) he would either fold or put in a pot size raise; which means that our hero misses out on the preflop raisers autobet in the 1st case, and is in a tricky situation in the 2nd. If the preflop raiser has a K or better then he is never going to fold. Its the type of bet that over time loses money, like value betting A hi on the river.

Advertisement