Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel Mercedes SL

Options
  • 01-03-2005 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Diesels are everywhere but I must admit I never thought the would put one on a mercedes SL. But they are. Its called the SL400 cdi and will do 0-60 in 5 and a bit seconds. The SLK is to get a new diesel too. The 320 cdi will have THREE turbo chargers. I hope they dont sound like diesels. :eek:

What next.... A diesel Ferrari???

http://www.cwwcardesign.com/mercedes_slk320_cdi.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Old news! Mercedes have had diesel powered s class for years.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

mike65 wrote:
    Old news! Mercedes have had diesel powered s class for years.

Mike.

Im not talking about the S class. Im talking about the SL and SLK which are sports cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah but thats ridiculous, I thought it was a typo! :D

Seriously thouggh, I have no probs with derv sipping at all, indeed nothing like a good big turbo D, but they just dont work in certain types of cars and
    rag-tops are a no-no. Anyone see the Top Gear Audi A4 TDi Cabriolet feature last year?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Typical country sounds, sheep, cows and...Massey Ferguson :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Peug 406 Coupe has had a 2.2 Hdi engine available for the last 3 years.

BMW's 3 Series coupe and convertible have also been available in diesel for some time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

Its a disturbing trend alright, I've know about coupes (where you're well insulated from the noisy goings on) but apparently BMW are about to launch their first diesel convertible (320cd) now too, presumably to compete directly with that a4 cabrio girls blouse of a thing, just doesn't seem right somehow, a very short step towards justifying a porsche boxster 2.5tdi from there....

and where to next ?,. Bentley's taking up smoking and associating themselves with the lowest form of skum in the bottom of the crude oil barrel, yes the proletarian pumpe duse clattering classes who'd be more adept at unskilled labour intensive tasks such as muck spreading and tending to brainless farm animals. hymph..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Now thats more like it - the merc SLK with a diesel - just the ticket. I think petrol cars are just silly - diesel is the way of the future for all cars :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It seems the stats from performance saloons you posted on that forum now gone weren't quite right, 528. We are all obliged to monitor developments. I would not be surprised if real performance would be brought to us soon in the form of a diesel engine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭full forward

Why put a diesel in an SL? Are they looking for better fuel economy? Most SL's do about 4k miles a year. Having a diesel will save them about 200 euro in fuel bills. Meanwhile the car has dropped 10k or 20k in value.

THe noise is everything with an SL. Is hisses quietly in low revs and roars like a lion when you floor it. I just cant emagine a crackly diesel SL on a frosty morning. However, a "tri-turbo", sounds so cool. Like IceBox said, " I hope they dont sound like diesels".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

yeh running an sl without fuel bills would cost 25000 euro per annum including finance/ depreciation/insurance tax. putting in a diesel could save a grand- so fu£$ing what. pointless exercise-merc just want to sell more cars and have a wider appeal, lets face it most of their customers are morons anyway and are being 'ripped off'
    they are ruining the sl brand image.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

lomb wrote:
    pointless exercise-merc just want to sell more cars and have a wider appeal, .

Is that not the idea of business?

Stekelly wrote:
    Is that not the idea of business?

not if one destroys 50 years of brand image. the sl- german for 'super light' doesnt gell with a heavy, noisy diesel motor. i drove the new 320cdi and wasnt impressed by the diesel noise which one could clearly hear in the cabin.
    also sports cars historically are high revving. diesels are not.

first merc have destroyed their build quality, then their finances by buying american trash chrysler, and now they are finishing it off by putting diesels into premium and super expensive cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

lomb wrote:
    first merc have destroyed their build quality, then their finances by buying american trash chrysler, and now they are finishing it off by putting diesels into premium and super expensive cars.

60% of cars sold in France last year were diesel. I read somewhere that the majority of S-Class Mercs were diesels, and that the proportion of diesel 5 and 7 series BMWs was rising similarly.

This article reckons that companies that have sold well in Europe have done so on a the back of good diesel technology i.e. BMW, VAG, PSA.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/2332669.stm

Perhaps Mercedes are merely wishing to retain/grow their market. I do think it's a little strange to have a diesel convertible - but the noise can be quite pleasing in a gruff, throatsome way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

lomb wrote:
    not if one destroys 50 years of brand image.
    Is this the brand image that appeals to all the "morons" you mention? :D

60% of cars sold in France last year were diesel. I read somewhere that the majority of S-Class Mercs were diesels, and that the proportion of diesel 5 and 7 series BMWs was rising similarly.

This article reckons that companies that have sold well in Europe have done so on a the back of good diesel technology i.e. BMW, VAG, PSA.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/2332669.stm

Perhaps Mercedes are merely wishing to retain/grow their market. I do think it's a little strange to have a diesel convertible - but the noise can be quite pleasing in a gruff, throatsome way.

the french are well...... no comments needed from me.........

diesel is much cheaper in france than petrol. france is not a well off country, most people drive old small cars. even 15 year old small cars are worth 2000 there whereas here they are worth sod all. diesel has caught on for this reason. the s320cdi is fine as a motorway muncher but is not worth the money and def neither will the sl be.

Is this the brand image that appeals to all the "morons" you mention? :D

the sl is mercedes flagship. a bit of it rubs of on mercs c180s, which are 5-10 grand overpriced just due to its brands image.

Advertisement