Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dolan Sacked!

• 01-03-2005 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭

It's looking fairly likely that Dolan has been sacked by Cork City. Fintan Cassidy, who's usually in the know, claims he has been on the Shels messageboard and also people on foot.ie are claiming it's been on Cork radio that he's gone. Not a major suprise, if true, given the recent events and his recent interview. Who will Cork get in?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Never a dull moment in Cork.

By the way Slash/ED, who are you on Shelsweb?

It's all over the Cork City Forums too.

He's deffo gone.

Rico to take over I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

They're speculating Rico, can't see that going down overly well with Cork really.

And it looks 99.999999% certain Dolan is gone, I'd be amazed if after all this he isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

yeah its all over the shelbourne board :D BYE BYE DOLAN

There's a few interviews on www.redfm.ie now.

Some "financial controller" saying he "hopes it's not true" and would "reconsider his position" if it is.

Something is rotten at Cork.

• Advertisement

They'll have a "full report on the Pat Dolan situation" after the 11 o'clock news.

Should make interesting listening.

My speakers are on the blink, can you put a report of what was said here Seansouth? It will definitely make interesting listening...

Everyone is saying Rico, and there's no smoke without fire and all that. I'd be suprised if it wasn't him but I'm not convinced he's the man to take Cork from also rans to title winners.

I'll make notes during the report, and post something after.

The texts in to the studio are all behind Dolan - well 95%

Apparently Rico was talking to the DJ on at the moment and told him, on air, that he wsn't taking the job.

There is still some meeting on, but apparently Brian Lennox told Dolan that he was no longer needed earlier in the evening.

You'd expect Rico to say that before everythings offically confirmed though, that could mean anything.

I wonder will Dolan head off to Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭radiospan

Crazy. Can't believe this. Should have been resolved internally.

I wasn't a massive Dolan fan, but after finishing second in the league last season, I can't see how sacking the biggest manager in the league can be of benefit to City, especially with three weeks to the start of the league.

plazzTT wrote:
    the biggest manager in the league
    :D:D:D:D

plazzTT wrote:
    I can't see how sacking the biggest manager in the league can be of benefit to City

I wonder what exactly you meant by that? :D

Wouldn't suprise me if Dolan was Limerick bound, that rumours been going around for a while. It seemed bizzare at one stage but it would make sense now.

Some kind of official players statement.

Here's the jist of it.

At the meeting they expressed concern with the level of the training facilities. Glad to hear there is development in the pipeline.
    Glad to see their concerns are being addressed, and agree to move forward in the best interest of the club.
    Disappointed with the departure of Dolan, but agree to move forward.
    Players are 100% behind club and agree to move forward.

Hmm, a lot of moving forward.

A lot of disappointment and anger in the voices of the fans.

Cheers for the updates ss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Odd in the todays indo players and dolan pissed at lack of flood lit training facilities , FFS i train under floodlights and we have numerous places to train under lights.

Gotta love these little spats :D

kdjac

KdjaC I'd be interested to hear your opinion of Dolan?

seansouth wrote:
    KdjaC I'd be interested to hear your opinion of Dolan?

2 league titles, his big mouth brought the league into the press a lot more, new stand , professional club (for a bit) made the club money that then disappeared and BOUGHT and PLAYED Marcus Hallows.

And all in one line, its a love hate relationship :D

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Cant say Im shocked or dissapointed*.

Stuart Ashton, our u21 manager has been put in temp charge.

There is major war among city fans. See city forum on foot.ie .

Going to be a fun few days :( :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

seansouth wrote:
    By the way Slash/ED, who are you on Shelsweb?
    and who are you on foot.ie? :)

• Advertisement

Wallace involved in city?

Wuts up with that , thats the main reason Dolan left us.

/ And why is it so hard to have just one online name?

kdjac

I forgot about Wallace. How does he fit into all this?

Was he still sponsoring City before Dolan was sacked? If so, is he still involved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

is he the new manager ? I cant see C.C.F.C being serious title contenders this year :p

Dolan was a fair enough manager, but did a lot of complaining

KdjaC wrote:
    And why is it so hard to have just one online name?

I like to keep people guessing ;)

From eleven-a-side
    Cork cast net far and wide

In a mirror image of how the FAI conducted their search for a new international manager, Cork City’s Chairman Brian Lennox has travelled to England to meet some of English football’s more experienced helmsmen, including former Arsenal boss Bruce Rioch.

Reports have suggested that ten applicants have applied for the job vacated by Liam Murphy and six of those have experience with clubs in the Nationwide League.

Lennox has flown to England in the last few days to interview the applicants, which reportedly include such high profile names as Rioch, ex-Fulham star Paul Bracewell, former Man Utd star and Swindon Town and Celtic boss Lou Macari, Danish legend Jan Molby, formerly of Hull, and ex-Chelsea players Dave Webb and John Hollins, who have both managed clubs in the English league.

There’s no doubt that Rioch’s appointment would be the most high profile as he has led a number of clubs, including Torquay, Middlesborough, Millwall, Bolton, Arsenal, Norwich and Wigan during his 21 years as a manager.

The City chairman was remaining coy about who he was due to mee, but did admit that the men in question had a vast amount of experience in the game.

"We were delighted with the take-up in England. I do not wish to identify the people who have responded, for a number of reasons, but some of them have managed clubs in the First Division," he said.

Damien Richardson, Dave Hill, Stuart Ashton and Martin Heffernan are reputedly the remaining four candidates who will be interviewed when Lennox returns to Ireland next week.

We shall see, I'd like to see someone from abroad come in to bring new ideas to the league. Recycling the same old managers doesn't do anyone any good imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I suppose the problem with a foreign manager would be that if they were doing anyway well, and then got offered a job back in their own country they'd be off like a shot. Someone like Tony Adams would be great for the league, but would he come and could Cork afford him?

What managers in recent years have left Irish clubs and gone on to manage abroad - and what level did they reach? Just wondering if there's any justification for marketing it as a stepping stone to the big time. Certainly possible European experience is more than you'd get managing in the lower divisions in England.

Shoddy Collins went to Carlisle in the old 3rd Division in England. They are in the conference now.

Oh, and Brian Kerr successfully managed St. Pat's for ten years before he took over the junior set up of the FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Isn't there an ex Sligo Rovers manager managing in England now too - Steve Cotterel (sp?) or something. He's English and came to Ireland and then went back there IIRC.

Oh, and Big Sam managed Limerick way back when, too.

Hmm, wonder will "Big Pat" go there and follow in the tradition.

Damien Richardson will probably be taking over in the next 48 hours, to be assisted by former City manager Liam Murphy.

I'd be somewhat sceptical of this appointment, as Rico has been out of work since he left Shams a few seasons ago, but he is a great eL man, and he is certainly both ambitious and realistic.

• Advertisement

Todays Echo's front page says "Dolan out, Richardson in".

It says Richardson will be appointed on Friday afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Slash/ED wrote:
    We shall see, I'd like to see someone from abroad come in to bring new ideas to the league. Recycling the same old managers doesn't do anyone any good imo.

I'd agree, there's too much of a manager merry-go-round in the eL.

They should take a risk, I mean look at Nutsy Fenlon at Shels, has done very well, and was a newcomer to the managment side of things, although not a stranger to the eL.

What Cork need to do is issue a complete statement as to why Dolan was fired. It will give the fans (who it seems are split in a big way, from reading foot.ie and the forums on the official Cork City website) some closure on this.

Maybe Rico is the man for the job, who knows. He was approached by Lennox before Dolan took over, so Lennox does rate him as a manager.

What the fans need to do is stop talking about "not going back to the cross" and other bullsiht like that, and get behind the club. I wonder how many of these so called fans are only going because Dolan was there?

I realise that this may be hard to accept for many people, but if there is an issue between the manager and chairman (and I am lead to believe that it is a very deep rift, involving some very cloak and dagger incidents), then I'm afraid there will be only one winner.

It'll become public in the next few days exactly why Dolan was fired, then that will stop all the guessing. People will then realise that its an open and shut matter, that Lennox was left with no alternative.

The players in todays Echo said the situation is not ideal, but its now up to them to rally, unify and get on with it. Some even said it will make them even stronger.

BTW, George O Callaghan stormed out of the meeting after having a few 'choice words'.

Sorry, but is O'Callaghan one of the players that went to the papers last week?

Suprised at that, I would have figured O'Callaghan would have been one of the happiest with the past few days after he had a spat with Dolan last season and was dropped for a period. I'm pretty sure he wasn't one of the ones who went to the paper.

Looks like Rico, not great news as an EL fan imo. He also has a record of getting great teams together that play great football but flatter to decieve in the league. Someone like Aldridge is who league clubs should be looking to attract, fresh blood from abroad who will have fresh ideas and will be hungry to get back into management.

• Advertisement

Funnily enough after Georges and Pat squabble a few months ago, it served to bond them, and they became quite close. He was also interviewed the other day on RedFM, and he made it pretty clear that he is unhappy with Lennox. That said, George is a passionate type of guy, who shoots his mouth off a bit (as seen in most every game!), so I'd expect him to calm a bit soon.

He will show during the season that he is one of the leagues best players. Hopefully it will be for City.

Well, he'll be with Cork for the start of the season at least.

Can you see players leaving because of this gimmick?

No, I cant see anyone leaving because of this seansouth.

Perhaps it may be decided by where Dolan goes. I would be slightly worried about Kev Doyle alright, but hopefully he will stay.

I can't see Dolan getting a gig in the Premier any time soon, especially if all the rumours are true, no doubt other clubs have heard them too.

I think he has made a name for himself as a troublemaker / loudmouth in his time at both Pats and Cork.

But with his buddy at Shams - Alan Duncan, in some position of authority, I could see him going to them in some capacity, or indeed once Roddy fecks off.

Match made in heaven really. Dolan spouting lyrical about how 'Shams history will repeat itself once we are settled in OUR new stadium' etc.

Waterford are also looking for investment and no doubt Mick Wallace will have packed his bags with Dolan.

To be fair, i feel sorry for Dolan. its never nice to see a guy lose his job, especially when one is as obviously passionate as Pat. He is a great eL man, and any Cork City fan will tell you he did great work during his stay here. No one can take that from him, and hopefully he will be remembered as the guy who brought Kev Doyle to the club, and the guy who instilled a great passion into his players, rather than the media running moan-bot. I certainly wish Pat all the best (as long as he doesnt go to Shams!).

• Advertisement

seansouth wrote:
    I think he has made a name for himself as a troublemaker / loudmouth in his time at both Pats and Cork.

But for the good of the EL , as CCFC fans will agree the guy is passionate and does his best to get the EL in papers and on TV , would go so sar as to say has done more for than the EL than the FAI or any other man (the Doc excluded) ever have (inc new tv deal).

What i find weird is
    Lennox has flown to England in the last few days to interview the applicants, which reportedly include such high profile names as Rioch, ex-Fulham star Paul Bracewell, former Man Utd star and Swindon Town and Celtic boss Lou Macari, Danish legend Jan Molby, formerly of Hull, and ex-Chelsea players Dave Webb and John Hollins, who have both managed clubs in the English league.
    only sacked Pat yesterday :confused:

So not as spontaneous as it may seem.

kdjac

^^^

Check the date of that particular post KDJAC.

gimmick wrote:
    ^^^

Check the date of that particular post KDJAC.

:confused:

today 12.25

kdjac

Slash/ED wrote:
    I like to keep people guessing ;)

From eleven-a-side

:eek:

kdjac

Advertisement