Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bye-bye IBB

• 02-03-2005 9:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

That's it i'm done.

I can not take it anymore. The ****ty download speeds, the intermittent service, and the atrocious customer service.

I've quit. Good-bye. I would rather have no Internet access, then pay 1c of my money to those sham artists.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

ripwave is it? u need to build an external antenae to pick up the signals, they should offer people the option of a professionally made one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Breeze Home (the supposed 1mb solution that requires an antennae install) is crap now too in many cases. 50 minutes on hold to talk to someone in there is not unusual either anymore even if you do ever get through to anyone.

I wonder do they treat their business customers the way they treat residential ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 skinner75

I have the 1mb line (Breeze Home) installed & find it great. Download speeds usually settle down around 120k/sec for me.
    I upgraded from the half meg line last month. I had that for 6 months & found that to be fine. Slightly faster than the Esat half meg line that a friend has. I got 57k/sec most of the time when downloading.
    With both, online gaming is no problem, with low pings.
    I am based in Nutgrove/Dundrum area btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

seems to be that the southside service for IBB is a lot better the the Northside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

It depends. The further away from the transit you get, i.e. the more you depend on IBB's network, the worse it tends to get. They can't run a quality network for love or money. If it works, great. If it doesn't, expect weeks or months of crap.

I have a business connection and they don't treat me any better. Why would they treat different customers differently? I pay the same amount of money as the rest of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I would initally said IBB was crap, but until i discovered that my modem was preset in roaming, i would get a good connection then bam, gone. kept open navdiag and monitored it and then found out that RTE is the best signal for me, e-mail them and then that evening after 6 my modem is locked onto the proper signal, no problems since(except for it cutting off every two hours or so).
    Oh and its the ripwave service i have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

skinner75 wrote:
    I have the 1mb line (Breeze Home) installed & find it great. Download speeds usually settle down around 120k/sec for me.
    I upgraded from the half meg line last month. I had that for 6 months & found that to be fine. Slightly faster than the Esat half meg line that a friend has. I got 57k/sec most of the time when downloading.
    With both, online gaming is no problem, with low pings.
    I am based in Nutgrove/Dundrum area btw

You're a lucky man, I'm on 1mb lite and I'm running off the ballymun mast and the service is terrible, I spent 45 minutes downloading a 9mb file today, I think dialup would be faster!

I am giving them another week to sort it out and contact me, if they don't it's bye bye to IBB!

Oh and I love the fact you have to stay on hold for up to 50 minutes before you can actually speak to anyone! and then when you do speak to techincal support they just tell you "oh yes the ballymun mast is being upgraded and service will be better soon, blah, blah, blah"

€48 a month for this crap......... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Im getting IBB soon, I live beside the Jervis Street Shopping Centre, any idea which mast is closest to that, and what the performance is like???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

nadir wrote:
    Im getting IBB soon, I live beside the Jervis Street Shopping Centre, any idea which mast is closest to that, and what the performance is like???
    At a guess : Guinness Brewery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭r011ingthunder

For what it's worth:
    Spoke to IBB today, and they said that their current customer service problems are due to massive expansion rates, and their customer service department is not able to expand quickly enough to keep up. For example, they have had a 500% increase in staff over the past year. I am currently looking at getting these guys to provide service in work, and that's why I was concerned when I saw this thread. I have been reassured by them that they are undergoing massive recruiting in the C.S dept.

D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

For what it's worth:
    Spoke to IBB today, and they said that their current customer service problems are due to massive expansion rates, and their customer service department is not able to expand quickly enough to keep up. For example, they have had a 500% increase in staff over the past year. I am currently looking at getting these guys to provide service in work, and that's why I was concerned when I saw this thread. I have been reassured by them that they are undergoing massive recruiting in the C.S dept.

D

500% increase must mean 5 ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Drapper wrote:
    500% increase must mean 5 ;-)
    Not sure, but I know someone who started with them last year in the CS dep, and left after 3 weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Massive recruiting in CS doesn't mean anymore competent technical staff who are the ones who sort out the real problems in there. CS staff just tell you what you want to hear but can't do sod all about problems.

A friend of mine called the other day about his ongoing problem to be told (eventually) that they would call him back. Well several days later theres no call :rolleyes: and the problem is as bad as ever.

machalla wrote:
    A friend of mine called the other day about his ongoing problem to be told (eventually) that they would call him back. Well several days later theres no call :rolleyes: and the problem is as bad as ever.

I have had this a number of times.

"Yeah I will get more information on the highsite issue and call you back before the end of the day"

"It's an ongoing issue and it will be resolved by 8th March, I will call you back with an update"

I have had 2 call backs from about 15 calls, nothing has been resolved...

Time is running out for IBB....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,199 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I just did the same.
    I have far too many emails in my Ripwave sent/in box due to crap performance.
    Im expecting them to come and get their modem and I am expecting a refund. If I dont get one its on to the Director of Consumer Affairs and I have told IBB as much.
    They cannot expect me to pay for a service that I did not receive, not even their minimum speeds can get them out of this, since only one out of every 3 pings doesnt time out, case closed.
    Losers missed the boat with Ripwave *big* time, it would have sold itself, had it worked...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well im not concidering getting rid of IBB at this stage cause im sick of them also. Any one on the northside who just got it it thinks its great till they drop you to a crappy connection after a month or so this seems to be their trend. It may also be the reason they dont offer a 3 month free trial. Im looking into alternative BB right now im not hanging on waiting for it to improve. Im on Breeze lite but it should be renamed to rip-off wave.

Apparently Ballymun will not be sorted out completely until 8th March but I'll be damned if I am going to fully charged for 2 months of crappy slow service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Transit my eye I can stand at my front door and see the mast that is the
    Blanchardstown artium, and still the service is a lot worse then those that have a few jumps to the mast at threerock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Very good, but transit referrs to the connection between IBB's network and the "internet". To get there you need to through IBB's backhaul which tends to be the problem area in my experience. It just so happens that the southside is closer to the transit than you (or I) am.

got set up yesterday, getting 80 - 100 pings
    and 128 kbps constant.
    seems ok so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

80-100 pings (haha) 5-30 pings here :P

enjoy while it lasts!
    wait till I put up my fserve / webserver / dcc clients :D

already have mine set up :P what mast you on?

DL 15Gb in my first 7 days and thats trying to limit myself to 1Gb a day very hard to only dl 1Gb a day :(

oh and by the way webservers and ftpservers are not allowed hehe

bah, foiled again.

not sure what mast im on man, I just got it 2 days ago, and with work and setting up the wireless network at home, i havnt had much time to play with it.
    Sort all that out tonight :)

Advertisement