Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 Questions re: ad-hoc wireless on XP

• 02-03-2005 1:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm running an ad-hoc wireless network at home, and there's two things that are bugging the [email="cr@p"]cr@p[/email] outta me, but I can find nothing anywhere telling me much useful about them. I was hoping that someone here might be able to point me in the right direction....

1) Despite having strong signal-strength reported, I get "Network found" and "connected" messages on both machines approximately every 3-5 minutes, regardless of signal-strength and so on. Any ideas why? Is there some reason they appear to be constantly renegotiating?

2) Until I get the time and budget to set up a proper system, my broadband is being shared using the ugly, UGLY Internet Connection Sharing stuff in XP. However, about 75% of the time, the ICS machnine doesn't seem to route the internet stuff correctly. (Incidentally, the reconnection stuff in 1 above can cause this to start/stop working - apparently randomly. Sometimes it breaks/fixes it, sometimes it leaves it fixed/broken).

For reference, one machine is running a Centrino chipset (the wireless is the 2200BG chipset), and the other is running a TrendNet TEW-424UB USB doohickey. The Centrino-based one I'm controlling using the PRONet software from Intel, while the machine with the TrendNet is set up with Windows Zero Configuration (because controlling it from the supplied software doesn't appear to work).

Any help greatly appreciated....although I plan on getting a Zyxel Perstige 660HW in the near(ish) future and on setting up a proper wireless infrastructure which might solve all my problems anyway.

Advertisement