Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Particles

• 02-03-2005 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

I'm having trouble with all those particles Japanese has, like -to, -do, -o, -ga, -de, -ji, -ni, and so on.

For instance (excuse the phonetics, as always) you say "osake-o nomimas" (I'm going to drink sake), but "osake-ga hoishides" (I want sake). Why?

Is there any online guide to these particles? I mix them all up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭elvenscout742

luckat wrote:
    For instance (excuse the phonetics, as always) you say "osake-o nomimas" (I'm going to drink sake), but "osake-ga hoishides" (I want sake). Why?

Sorry I don't have an answer to your other question, but "want" and "drink" are separate verbs in both English and Japanese. "ga" and "o", in these cases, mark what English considers to be the direct objects of the verbs, but in Japanese (apparently) the "osake" in "osake-ga hoishides" is a subject, not an object. It's quite a different language.

And, for future reference, I didn't mean this thread to serve naught but my needs. The bit in parentheses is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

The bit in parentheses is a joke.

Guess nobody got it.

Well, maybe nobody got it, but at least ApeXaviour understood to use the thread to ask a question, even if 'twas about macrons.

Advertisement