Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barton 2500+ mobile & 64 bit Cpu Equivalent?

Options
  • 02-03-2005 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

I have a barton 2500 mobile at the moment, clocks nicelly and runs cool.
    I'm thinking of going 64 bit and was wondering what current 64bit cpu could be compared to the mobile?
    Basically im looking for a good cpu that will oc a lot like my mobile, is the 3200 winchester the one to go for?
    Also another 2 questions:
    Are the 64bit cpu's multi unlocked, do you oc them in the same way you do with 32bit cpus upping the fsb as much as possible.
    And, what would a leadtek 6600gt (agp) be worth second had? It was bought at the end of december. I might upgrade the lot and go pci-e but not sure of that just yet.
    Hope some of you can point me in the right direction.

Jozi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

jozi wrote:
    I have a barton 2500 mobile at the moment, clocks nicelly and runs cool.
    I'm thinking of going 64 bit and was wondering what current 64bit cpu could be compared to the mobile?
    Basically im looking for a good cpu that will oc a lot like my mobile, is the 3200 winchester the one to go for?
    Also another 2 questions:
    Are the 64bit cpu's multi unlocked, do you oc them in the same way you do with 32bit cpus upping the fsb as much as possible.
    And, what would a leadtek 6600gt (agp) be worth second had? It was bought at the end of december. I might upgrade the lot and go pci-e but not sure of that just yet.
    Hope some of you can point me in the right direction.

Jozi

Only the fx cpus are fully multi unlocked, the others are half unlocked (u can change the multi down not up). Any socket 939 cpu will overclock pretty well, maybe not as much as the mobile cpus though but pretty well. And yeh winchester cores are the ones to go for. And you do overclock the same by upping the fsb etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

So with the multi locked up its not really a problem seeing you lower it to get higher fsb speeds. Would it be wise to get ram faster than pc3200 then?

Jozi

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

jozi wrote:
    So with the multi locked up its not really a problem seeing you lower it to get higher fsb speeds. Would it be wise to get ram faster than pc3200 then?

Jozi

yeh it would be wise to get higher speed ram IMHO

• Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Azza

With regards to 64bit CPU's I would recommend either the Winchester 3000 or 3200. There both good overclockers. When it comes to ram you will want ram with tight timings 2-2-2-5 (actually AMD 64 prefers 2-2-2-10 for some reason) ...these timings are very important. If you overclock your ram and are forced to losen the timings they may negate any advantage gained from overclocking. Do your reserach on the ram. You can get PC 3200 that overclocks very well and holds tight timings but maybe PC 3500 would be best. Do you research OCZ have excellent stuff as do Geil. Remember faster ram usually has looser timings. Also you will have to overclock if you want to run anything above PC 3200 ram at stocks speeds as PC 3200 ram is the max supported ram speed at stock.

Motherboard wise the DFI motherboards are the bees knees strongly recommend them for overclocking.

Also I be interested in taking the CPU and Graphics card off you if your offering them at a good price. And even the ram provided it was good. What speeds your ram and what sort of overclock you getting with that cpu?

I done a quick bit of reasearch on ram after my last post, found that good quality ram with tight timings (as azza said) will do speeds up to ddr600!
    Got it from Anandtech site where the tested ram on a 64bit system, they got OCZ 3200 Platinum Rev. 2 to run at ddr600 speeds, which is the ram i might go for.
    Had another thread not so long ago, forget who it was, some said that dfi had a very good mobo out alright. I still dont know should i go nf3 or 4, 4 will be alot more expensive :mad:
    Azza: i had it running at 2.5ghz untill i got a second stick of ram, it will do 2.4 with only a small increase in voltage and temps (for me) stay round 40 degrees 100% load with a thermaltake volcano 12 and medium speed fan rpm. (asus a7n8x e dlx mobo)
    The gfx card, whats a 2 and a half mont old 6600gt worth?
    And the ram already has a future home.
    Am not definate on what to do with the cpu/mobo, i have a server here or maybe htpc so i dont know yet.

Jozi

EDIT: after scanning trough that review and other got me wondering will i need a new psu? i have antec true power 420 watt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

I'd vote for the Winchester core 3000+ on any decent overlocking board. Epox 9nda3+ is good with a bios flash. Mine sits rock solid at 2385 mhz, from a stock speed of 1800mhz. Thats equivalent of a 4000+ if you scale the performance rating :D

Can't say I see the point in dropping a ton of money on RAM. Around 200 euro for a gig is right in my opinion. Spend any more than that and youre negating the cost saving you get from overclocking. 2.5-3-3-6 at 220mhz is good enough for me :)

• Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Azza

I have that OCZ EL PC 3200 Rev 2 but unfortantly I can't overclock very well due to the motherboard I have. I also have the uber AMD 64 ram OCZ Enhanced Bandwidth PC 3700 which although can not do as tighting timings 2.5-2-2-5 compared to the EL 2-2-2-5 it will go alot higher speed wise an maintain its timings at a lower voltage.

Er Padraigf your not quite at 4000 speeds (slightly lower clockspeed) but the main thing is your CPU has only half the cache of the 4000. But you still close if not ahead of the 3800 in terms of performance (and the winchester is 5% faster than the newcastle at the same speeds). Anandtech showed the 3000 going to 2.6Ghz which was a massive 800mhz overclock (45%) on an average air setup.

Looking at prices for the CPU and Graphics card. I see the AMD Athlon XP 2500-M is about €100 new and a 6600GT new would be just over €200.
    I'm getting the prices from overclock.co.uk (do a google search for a currency coverter if you wish to get exact prices)

I reckon due to de-value it would knock off about €50 on each item. So if your interested I'll can go up to around €200. I have the same motherboard as you have already but I be interested in your heatskin and possible your PSU as well.

If your interested in selling those as well give us a guideline price.

Lol came here asking for advice and now half my pc wants to be bought of me :D
    I think i read that review to about the 3000, very impressive and what id be hoping for to if i upgrade :D
    Azza: send you a pm, not 100% sure when ill upgrade but wont be to long from now i think.

Jozi

Advertisement