Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Micheál Martin Effect

Options
  • 02-03-2005 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0302/intel.html

Micheál Martin…Intel…it’s like watching a 2 year-old with a screwdriver play with a mains outlet…I just can’t watch anymore!

I’m prepared to bet folding money on Intel moving their manufacturing operation to the Far East by 2008.

I would have thought there was little damage he could do in the Department of Trade and Industry, but as usual, I’ve underestimated the cancerous nature of incompetence.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

HellLLOOOOOOOOO !

Subsidies to Companies like Intel fall under EU regulations . The government may have felt the Commission breathing down its neck .

Of more interest is the fact that the Government cannot get companies to locate in the BMW area where they have more latitude with grants and subsidies. There is a real failure.

Harney was no better .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I would have thought there was little damage he could do in the Department of Trade and Industry, but as usual, I’ve underestimated the cancerous nature of incompetence.

Is it incompetence?

He's basically said "I'm no longer going to ask the EU if I can do this". That to me is a polite way of saying "I've finally accepted the EU telling me to stop asking because they're never going to say yes".

Surely one would need to show that his "i think it should count" declaration has any merit before his giving up would suggest incompetence. It could just as easily be a very shrewd and intelligent move - carefully choosing the battles he can win rather than just being a "I'll fight for what I want, not for what I'm entitled to" hothead.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Far be it from me to defend Michael Martin, but the Intel deal was signed off when Mary Harney was heading up DETE.

http://www.idaireland.com/home/news.aspx?id=276&content_id=12

Intel announces next phase of development - €1.6 billion investment for Leixlip
    19/05/2004
    Intel Ireland Limited
    In another landmark development Intel Corporation, the world’s leading semiconductor manufacturer has decided to invest a further €1.6 billion in its Irish operation, the Tánaiste Mary Harney TD announced today.

The investment, which is supported by IDA Ireland and whose grant to Intel is subject to EU approval, will be made to develop new leading edge technology wafer fabrication facilities on the Leixlip site. This will ensure Intel maintains its position at the cutting edge of semiconductor manufacturing in Europe and secures the long-term employment of existing employees and brings the total number of employees and contractors to over 5000.

Intel’s investment plan will equip the Leixlip facility with the technology to produce the latest microprocessors for the next generation of technology. The company intends to build and equip new wafer fabrication clean room space and will produce the next generation of 300mm wafers using 65 nanometre technology. The new microchips will be smaller, faster, use less power and have more functionality than those currently produced. Construction of the facility will begin immediately with production beginning in the first half of 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Sponge Bob wrote:
    HellLLOOOOOOOOO !

Subsidies to Companies like Intel fall under EU regulations . The government may have felt the Commission breathing down its neck .
    Ooohhh scary! Maybe the Irish Government should take a leaf out of the French Government's book instead of slavishly nailing up KmPH signs. There are 5,000 jobs on the line after all.

I'm not anti-EU BTW.

Advertisement