Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

European Indoors

• 02-03-2005 4:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭

This forum hasn't taken off, to put it mildly, but if we post up things topical we can try and make it. So, what Irish athletes do you reckon will medal in the Europeans, or who else will?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I can't say that I have been able to follow the Irish form too closely of late, but David Gillick's results are looking very good. Of course, Coman missed out on the final with a 46.3 run three years ago, so it could be very tough but I'm looking forward to seeing him race anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

David is third in the European rankings this year. Theres also Cragg and Carroll in the 3000m, both running well, a chance of a medal, if not two. Looking forward to watching all the races, we also had good runners in the AAA's and could have a few upsets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

James McIlroy* can win in the 800 metres (hopefully).

*northern irish

He's running well at the moment, he hasn't got too many friends down South though, but still a very strong contender. Personally I wish him good luck but I know people who don't want him running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,193 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

We could, with a bit of luck, have a few medals and a few records:

Cragg, Carroll and Gillick have chances for medals, maybe 1 gold and 2 bronze?

Records could be under threat in the women's hurdles and 60.

How about Hession as a long shot for a medal? Depends greatly on lane draw.

I think McIlroy could win, too. He's finally realising his potential.

Looking forward to seeing the new French sprint sensation, Pognon, in action.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if Rui Silva is running?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Was talking to David McCarthy last week, he seems pretty confident with his form lately. Haven't seen him run in a while though.

Really looking forward to the indoors.

Amz wrote:
    Was talking to David McCarthy last week, he seems pretty confident with his form lately. Haven't seen him run in a while though.

Really looking forward to the indoors.

Without that mentality it wouldn't matter how he's running, he would come nowhere, good on ya Dave

Is anyone going to Madrid for this?

I've a relative living near to where the competition takes place, but didn't think of getting tickets for it 'til the last minute.

If only I could...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Slow coach wrote:
    We could, with a bit of luck, have a few medals and a few records:

Cragg, Carroll and Gillick have chances for medals, maybe 1 gold and 2 bronze?

Records could be under threat in the women's hurdles and 60.

How about Hession as a long shot for a medal? Depends greatly on lane draw.

I think McIlroy could win, too. He's finally realising his potential.

Looking forward to seeing the new French sprint sensation, Pognon, in action.

Cragg definite medal hope, Gillick & Carroll possibles. McIlroy could medal but I can't see him beating Borzakovskiy (if he's running)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Common Sense

Since my last post I've just found out that Borzakovskiy isn't running. Still another good Russian and always a dangerous Spaniard or Portuguese. McIlroy should medal tho'. Of the other Irish, our best prospects are Cragg (obviously) and Gillick now comes into the reckoning with the news Dijohne has pulled out. Carroll and Nolan have (very) outside chances of medals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

McIlroy isnt running, according to the Irish Times. At least not for Ireland, and I presume not for anyone else!

Anyone know how Cragg and Carroll got on this morning?

And where is the best place to follow on-line?

And which TV channels are showing live coverage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Found this on the bbc
    Irish hopefuls Alistair Cragg and Mark Carroll both comfortably came through Friday morning's 3000 metres heats at the European Indoor Championships.
    Cragg qualified for Saturday's final in Madrid by toying with the opposition in his heat to win in 7:54.91.

2000 champion Carroll, meanwhile, also had a straightforward qualification by easing down to finish fourth in his heat in a time of 7:55.18.

Britain's John Mayock took second in the same heat to also make the final.

Mayock clocked 7:54.83 to finish just behind Spain's Reyes Estevez.

The Spaniard is likely to be Cragg's main rival for the gold in Saturday evening's final which starts at 1915 GMT.

Promising start by Cragg. Estevez looks to be the main rival, and in a slow race he'd be strong favourite to outkick Cragg. But Cragg seems coinfident that he'll win a fast race. I wouldnt rule out Mayock either, and hopefully Carroll might sneak a bronze.

In other news Britain's triple jumper Phillips Idowu, who headed the European rankings going into the event, crashed out in the qualifying round.
    He could only manage a best of 16.44m, which placed him 11th overall, and out of the final.

McIlroy isnt running, according to the Irish Times. At least not for Ireland, and I presume not for anyone else!

James McIlroy hasn't competed for Ireland for many years, he switched his allegiance to the GB team.

I thought that he had been competeing for GB and Northern Ireland alright.

He has, and has been in incredibe form since switching coaches, I don't love him for it, but he's a good runner and should do well

Results here: http://www.sportresult.com/sports/la/eaa/eaa_cache/index_.html

Gillick was fastest qualifier in the men's 400m with a personal best of 46.17s.

Well done to David, Alastair and Mark on qualifying for their respective finals. But may I say that James Nolan must have ran a terrible race, this is a man who is capable of 3:37 indoors, and he ran 3:46:50. Does anyone know what happened, or shall I have to wait for the TV coverage. Remember, RTÉ 2 at 8:30, European Championships highlights

Since the heat was won in 3:43 he may just have been caught with a fast last couple of laps. He had only 3:41 this year going in as opposed to 3:37, so he probably is not on top form. Hopefully this is just a temporary setback for him.

• Advertisement

Yea, bring on the worlds. Hopefully he can put this behind him and concentrate on the worlds, and maybe even get into the final and from there, who knows what can happen, the 4*400 team last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,193 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Great run by Gillick. He might not have blazing speed, but he's as strong as a horse. Hope he gets the big G. Cragg can win, too. Both finals are on tonight live on Eurosport or BBC. Don't wait for RTE to condescend to show them delayed. (maybe they'll squeeze them in at half-time of whatever premiership match they're showing :mad: )

There's apparetnly half an hour of highlights on RTÉ this evening, which will inevitably involve Tracy Pigott and some other non athletic types giving their opinons for 25 minutes with 5 minutes of footage.

There's a good amount on BBC, 4:25-7:35

Yeah, the Beeb are usually great for sporting coverage of all types.

It'll be a long time before anything other than Gaelic Games are covered properly on RTÉ.

That'll be the day, Cragg could be in with a shot for the Championship record, its only 7:43:89. He wants a fast race because Estevez has a strong finish in a slower race

Advertisement