Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Essential songs/albums for a 'music library'?

Options
  • 02-03-2005 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone suggest songs or albums for me as I'm in the process of building myself a music collection, I have an entire hard disk allocated to it. Doesn't generally matter about styles or eras, but I do generally listen to rock music.

All responses greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Get some Neil Young, especially On The Beach.

Also Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Waits, The Velvet Underground, Talking Heads, The Pixies, Joni Mitchell, Jeff Buckley, Ben Folds (Five).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Thats really strange, I'm just looking at Neil Youngs 'Rust Never Sleeps'. Cheers I'll have a look at some of the others too, I'm already a big fan of Dylan and a Jeff Buckley nutcase.

Rust Never Sleeps is a great album - but On The Beach is the best (IMO).

What else do you like - might help to recommend other things you might like....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Love Muse, Berkeley, some of the Foo Fighters stuff, Dashboard Confessional, I'm a Jeff Buckley freak, have all his stuff.

On the more rocking side, I love Rage Against The Machine, and anything with a good riff.

Theres no one style I like, but I guess you could say I like artists who live for their music.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Led Zeppelin- Physical Graffiti
    AC/DC - Back in Black

• Advertisement

At The Drive-In - Relationship Of Command is an awesome album.
    Bob Mould/Sugar/Husker Du - various stuff - if you like heavy than start with husker du, if you like it not so heavy start with Bob Mould / Sugar. There is no one more passionate.
    Loudon Wainright III - This guy is a genius. T-Shirt is a good album to start with.
    The Who - Who's Next.

From above

Bruce Springsteen - I'd start with Born To Run - energetic, passionate, catchy macho rock.
    Tom Waits - Small Change
    The Velvet Undeground - absolutely anything.
    Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings And Food
    The Pixies - Surfer Rosa/Come On Pilgrim
    Joni Mitchell - Ladies of The Canyon
    Ben Folds Five - Whatever And Ever Amen
    Blisterman wrote:
    AC/DC - Back in Black
    yes - i agree 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

bob dylan - blonde on blonde
    van morrison - astral weeks
    joy division - substance

there's a 4 for E30 deal on in hmv at the mo and they seem to have ****loads of essential-type cds

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

joy division - substance

Don't get Substance by Joy Division, get Substance by New Order. Get both of the proper Joy Division albums, Unknown Pleasures and Closer (especially Closer).

I second most of the stuff above, make sure you get After The Goldrush by Neil Young while you're getting On The Beach. Best get Weld for good measure.

Nick Cave is worth checking out, Let Love In, Tender Prey and Henry's Dream being my albums of choice.

Must have a think about this, I'll come back with more recommendations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Nevermind - Nirvana
    Back in Black - AC/DC
    Highway To Hell - AC/DC
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    The Libertines - Up The Bracket
    The Ramones - The Ramones
    OK Computer - Radiohead
    Absolution - Muse
    By The Way - Red Hot Chili Peppers
    The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
    Songs For The Deaf - Queens of the Stone Age
    Urban Hymns - The Verve
    Parklife - Blur

Depite the different rock sounds in all these albums they are are truly classics and would be welcome additions to a music library.

Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    Urban Hymns - The Verve
    Parklife - Blur

Depite the different rock sounds in all these albums they are are truly classics and would be welcome additions to a music library.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :confused::confused::confused:
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

When Disaster Strikes - Busta Rhymes
    Odelay - Beck
    At Folsom Prison - Johnny Cash

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I'm already a big fan of Dylan,

me too and i was stunned recently when i heard his 2001 album, love and theft. its fantastic.

here some random favourites of mine:

the band : music from big pink
    jj cale : troubadour
    kings of convenience : Riot on an empty street
    creedence : (its all good)
    neil young : on the beach
    anything by tom waits
    ry cooder : into the purple valley.

oh and while ACDC are getting a mention i'm gonna have to throw in theyre first album, high voltage. its savage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction
    Nirvana - In Utero

2 of my favourite ever albums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Only Human

Anything From:

2Pac
    50 Cent
    Alicia Keys
    Aretha Franklin
    The Beatles
    The Beegees
    Bob Dylan
    Bob Marley
    The Boomtown Rats
    Charles and Eddie
    Christina Aguillera
    Christy Moore
    Coldplay
    Damien Rice
    The Darkness
    Dean Martin
    Destinys Child & Beyonce
    Diana Ross
    Elvis
    Eminem (earlier stuff)
    Foo Fighters
    Frank Sinatra
    Gloria Gaynor
    Gunz N' Roses
    Incubus
    Jameraquai
    James Brown
    Janet Jackson
    Jay-z
    Jimi Hendrix
    Justin Timberlake
    Madonna
    Michael Jackson & The Jacksons
    Metallica
    Moby
    Muse
    N.E.R.D
    Nas
    Nelly
    Nirvana
    No Doubt
    Oasis
    P.Diddy
    Placebo
    Prince
    Queen
    Queens of the Stone Age
    R.Kelly
    Ray charles
    REM
    Radio Head
    Scissor Sisters
    Smokey Robinson & the Miracles
    Stereophonics
    Stevie Wonder
    Thin Lizzy
    U2
    Usher
    Van Morison
    Velvet Revolver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

Velvet Underground & Nico
    Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
    Stevie Wonder - Innervisions
    The Stooges - Fun House
    David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust...

a good place to have a look at is www.rateyourmusic.com and this list is good

http://rateyourmusic.com/lists/list_view/list_id_is_1756

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

Nevermind - Nirvana
    Back in Black - AC/DC
    Highway To Hell - AC/DC
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    The Libertines - Up The Bracket
    The Ramones - The Ramones
    OK Computer - Radiohead
    Absolution - Muse
    By The Way - Red Hot Chili Peppers
    The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
    Songs For The Deaf - Queens of the Stone Age
    Urban Hymns - The Verve
    Parklife - Blur

we have crossed swords in many a forum but i like your list in the words of Alexander G
    respect

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

go through the number ones at http://www.everyhit.com for ideas as to what to get.

also you can have a look at my list if you like

other than that I can't really help you

but you have to have queen on your list at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

weezer - weezer (AKA The Blue Album)
    smashing pumpkins - mellon collie and the infinite sadness
    green day - dookie/nimrod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Only Human

I just been listening to a great band called "The Black keys". They're fairly good. I've never heard of them before so I don't know if they're well known or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Decemberists - 'Picaresque'
    Dredg - 'El Cielo'
    Dispatch - 'Silent Steeples' & 'Bang Bang'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Orla1

Greenday: Insomniac, 1039/smoothed out slappy hours, kerplunk, dookie, shenanigans, nimrod, american idiot, international superhits, warning... theyre all brilliant!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Get some Neil Young, especially On The Beach.

Also Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Waits, The Velvet Underground, Talking Heads, The Pixies, Joni Mitchell, Jeff Buckley, Ben Folds (Five).

Well someone has good taste
    My Sugestions would be
    Whipping Boy-Heartworm (The best Irish album ever)

Gang of Four - Entertainment (danceable baslines, chainsaw like guitars and great dark political lyrics so many bands have stolen from them)

PIL- Metal Box/Second Edition (Not a easy album to listin to but its worth it)

The Clash -Lonon Calling (doesnt need much of an introduction)

Tevevision - Marquee Moon (Unusually for a punk band they had amazing musisionship and some classic epic songs)

My Bloody Valintine - Loveless (The second best Irish album ever almost bankrupet the label but it was worth it)

Teenage Fanclub- Songs from northern britain- Power pop perfection

Weezer- Pinkerton (By far the bands best album maybe thats why it was their least comercialy succesful)

Neil Young- On the beach (as recomended before its just great)

Shellac- At action park (Steve Albini who is better known as a producer creates one of the loudest masterpeices ever)

Dead Kennedys- Fresh Fruit for rotting vegtables (Probably the best american punk album ever)

Joy Division - Closer (Amazing album never had depression and isolation been distiled into an album so well)

The Cure - Disintegration (12 tracks not a bad one on it and loads of classics)

The Stooges- Raw Power (often cited as creating punk, metal and grunge its just a fantastic rock album)

Manic Street Preachers- The Holy Bible (an absolute classic with some of the darkest lyrics you will hear)

Thin Lizzy - Live an Dangerous (3rd best Irish album)

Killing Joke- Killing Joke 1980 (Confusingly both their 1980 debut and and their recent comback album are both self titled get the early one its brilliant they deserve to be known for more than the band Nirvana stole the come as you are riff from)

Crass- Feeding of the 5000 (the angryest punk album ever you can practicly taste the bile)

The La's- The La's (Considerd to be one hit wonders by many they are in fact one album wonders pure guitar pop genius)

Doves - Lost Souls (their other albums may have far outsold their debut but they dont near match this)

McLusky - McLclusky do Dallas (matching great riffs with a fantastic sence of humor this album their best in the short carear as they split about 2 months ago)

REM- New adventures in Hi-Fi (the best REM album by a country mile pitty thier recent ones are so muck)

Echo and the Bunnymen- Heaven up here (about as good as Post punk/Indie gets)

The Smiths - The Queen is dead (My favorite 80's album and I love alternative 80's)

The Chameleons- Script of the bridge (another fantasic 80's Indie band)

The Wedding Present- Seamonsters (Their best and most rocking album)

Pavement- Slanted and Enchanted (a great 90's indie album)

Depeche Mode- Songs of Fath and Devotion- (another 90's classic)

Grandaddy- The Software Slump (Indie electronica album from a couple of years ago i'll never tire of it)

Slint- Spiderland (Probably the first great post rock album)

Tim Buckley- Altough Jeff was extremly talented he never produced an album as good as this one from his father

The Pixies- Surfa Rosa (essential album)

Mission of Burma - Vs. (yet another post punk classic its becoming abit obvious what my favourite style of music is)

The Fall - This nations saving grace (this is probably the best album from probably the most prolific band of the last 25 years who have had probably the most linup changes)

Flaming Lips- Clowd taste metalic- Wonderfully weird wonderfully beautiful

Therapy?- Troublegum (5th best Irish album of all time extremly good hard rock album)

Interpol- Turn on the bright lights (best debut album in years)

Fatima Mansions -Viva Dead Ponies (4th best Irish album of all time with beatifly dark ballands and hard rock tunes you could strip paint with)

The Pop Group- We are all prostitutes (If you hear a weirder more political album I'll eat my hat*)

Primal Scream -Xtrmntr (extremly good rock/elctronica album)

Bob Dylan- Highway 61 Revisited (My favourite and therfore the best Dylan album)

Nick Cave- Let love in (Narrowly my favourite Nick Cave album)

I will stop myself beofre I go to far

note may not eat hat

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Well someone has good taste
    My Sugestions would be
    Whipping Boy-Heartworm (The best Irish album ever)

Gang of Four - Entertainment (danceable baslines, chainsaw like guitars and great dark political lyrics so many bands have stolen from them)

PIL- Metal Box/Second Edition (Not a easy album to listin to but its worth it)

The Clash -Lonon Calling (doesnt need much of an introduction)

Tevevision - Marquee Moon (Unusually for a punk band they had amazing musisionship and some classic epic songs)

My Bloody Valintine - Loveless (The second best Irish album ever almost bankrupet the label but it was worth it)

Weezer- Pinkerton (By far the bands best album maybe thats why it was their least comercialy succesful)

Neil Young- On the beach (as recomended before its just great)

Shellac- At action park (Steve Albini who is better known as a producer creates one of the loudest masterpeices ever)

Dead Kennedys- Fresh Fruit for rotting vegtables (Probably the best american punk album ever)

Joy Division - Closer (Amazing album never had depression and isolation been distiled into an album so well)

The Cure - Disintegration (12 tracks not a bad one on it and loads of classics)

The Stooges- Raw Power (often cited as creating punk, metal and grunge its just a fantastic rock album)

Manic Street Preachers- The Holy Bible (an absolute classic with some of the darkest lyrics you will hear)

Thin Lizzy - Live an Dangerous (3rd best Irish album)

Killing Joke- Killing Joke 1980 (Confusingly both their 1980 debut and and their recent comback album are both self titled get the early one its brilliant they deserve to be known for more than the band Nirvana stole the come as you are riff from)

Crass- Feeding of the 5000 (the angryest punk album ever you can practicly taste the bile)

The La's- The La's (Considerd to be one hit wonders by many they are in fact one album wonders pure guitar pop genius)

Doves - Lost Souls (their other albums may have far outsold their debut but they dont near match this)

McLusky - McLclusky do Dallas (matching great riffs with a fantastic sence of humor this album their best in the short carear as they split about 2 months ago)

REM- New adventures in Hi-Fi (the best REM album by a country mile pitty thier recent ones are so muck)

Echo and the Bunnymen- Heaven up here (about as good as Post punk/Indie gets)

The Smiths - The Queen is dead (My favorite 80's album and I love alternative 80's)

The Chameleons- Script of the bridge (another fantasic 80's Indie band)

The Wedding Present- Seamonsters (Their best and most rocking album)

Pavement- Slanted and Enchanted (a great 90's indie album)

Depeche Mode- Songs of Fath and Devotion- (another 90's classic)

Grandaddy- The Software Slump (Indie electronica album from a couple of years ago i'll never tire of it)

Slint- Spiderland (Probably the first great post rock album)

Tim Buckley- Altough Jeff was extremly talented he never produced an album as good as this one from his father

The Pixies- Surfa Rosa (essential album)

Mission of Burma - Vs. (yet another post punk classic its becoming abit obvious what my favourite style of music is)

The Fall - This nations saving grace (this is probably the best album from probably the most prolific band of the last 25 years who have had probably the most linup changes)

Flaming Lips- Clowd taste metalic- Wonderfully weird wonderfully beautiful

Therapy?- Troublegum (5th best Irish album of all time extremly good hard rock album)

Interpol- Turn on the bright lights (best debut album in years)

Fatima Mansions -Viva Dead Ponies (4th best Irish album of all time with beatifly dark ballands and hard rock tunes you could strip paint with)

The Pop Group- We are all prostitutes (If you hear a weirder more political album I'll eat my hat*)

Primal Scream -Xtrmntr (extremly good rock/elctronica album)

Bob Dylan- Highway 61 Revisited (My favourite and therfore the best Dylan album)

Nick Cave- Let love in (Narrowly my favourite Nick Cave album)

I will stop myself beofre I go to far

note may not eat hat

You sir have great taste in music. :D

good list however bandwagonesque is a far better album

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

haha! is that the bestest in the whole universe?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Orla1 wrote:
    Greenday: Insomniac, 1039/smoothed out slappy hours, kerplunk, dookie, shenanigans, nimrod, american idiot, international superhits, warning... theyre all brilliant!!!

You got that right!

I'd add:

Incubus - Agoraphobia, Stellar, Drive (a few others too)
    Robbie Williams - Angel
    Carl Orff - O Fortuna

I dunno what's wrong with me, I can't think of many.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,930 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Thought i'd put this forward... without doubt, my favourite album of all time:

Counting Crows - August And Everything After

Pure genius from start to finish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Thanks John2 I would quote again but I dont want to completly destroy the thread with the same large list 3 times
    good list however bandwagonesque is a far better album

I have had many discusions about which is the best Teenage Fanclub album mainly with myself

haha! is that the bestest in the whole universe??

well the best Dylan album anyway altough blood on the tracks comes close

the long lists are great but if there was to be one , a desert island disc persay, which would it be and it cant be a best of pick an original release.

mine

Greenday Dookie

Forget the dribble they are doing now dookie is quality

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Just some tracks i've been listening to myself recently that you should definatly include, mostly rock with some exceptions:

Alice In Chains - Down In A Hole
    Blink 182 - I Miss You
    Cradle of Filth - Cthulhu Dawn
    Deicide - Scars of the Crucifix
    Greenday - Boulevard of broken dreams
    Joe Satriani - Chords Of Life
    Machine head - Imperium
    Megadeth - Blackmail The Universe
    Muse - Hysteria
    Nightwish - Wanderlust
    Opeth - Serenity Painted Death
    Pantera - ****ing Hostile