Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Few Questions ...

• 02-03-2005 6:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭

My rugby team and I are due to travel to Cork in April to play in the Women's rugby intervarsities in UCC. Before we travel we need to arrange hostels, nights out, food, transport etc.

As none of us are from the south of the country I thought I'd ask here for some advice etc.

Firstly, would we be better off getting public transport to Cork as opposed to hiring a coach for the three days?

If yes, should we go by bus/rail?
    Which is more cost effective etc.?

Is UCC easily accessible from the train station/bus station?

Where should we be looking for accommodation?

Are there any good night spots that you would recommed?

Where are some good spots to eat out (I mean cheap but tasty! We are students after all.)?

Think that's it for now .... Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Amz

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Accomodation: There is an An Oige hostel on the western road, right near UCC and the Mardyke Arena (where I presume that you'll be playing). This is it.

Travel: As students, bus and rail is cheap. You've got to weigh up the merits of a coach between yourselves. If you arrive in Cork by bus, then the No 8 goes from the bus station right out to the front door of the hostel. If you arrive by train, you'll have to walk to the bus station, but it's only about 5 min.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

They'll probably be playing in the farm as opposed to the mardyke. Don't think they'd put the womans rugby intervarsities in the mardyke except maybe the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Haha charming :D

Thanks for that dudara.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

female rugby players eh? Fancy a few pints when you're all down? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

Get the train down you will have to walk to the bus station which is only five minutes and then get the no 8 to UCC. Get the bus down and it could take upwards of 5 and half hours, again getting the no 8 from the bus station in cork to get to UCC.

UCC is about a 15 minute walk from the city centre but its a straight line all the way so you wont get lost. Along the western road there are tonnes and i mean loads of B&Bs and hostels. You can have your pick. Ill be walking down there later so ill get you the names of the ones that look decent enough.

For eating there is Pizza Republic, it does exactly what it says on the tin. Scoozis just off winthrop st, its really nice, good food and reasonable. Ginos on winthrop st does pizza. Finding somewhere for food aint really a prob, there are loads of places on the side streets off pana (patrick st)

Good place to go out, probably be easier to tell where not to go.....If you are looking for a hubby of an agricultural background try Reardens. Othewise you could go to anywhere else in the washington village which is just along washington st. Or head down to oliver plunket st for the brog, the qube, an bodhran, the old oak and aoife landers. So that would be anywhere on the lower end of Washington st or down along Oliver Plunket st. Dont bother with nightclubs, go for late bars, more comfortable and cheaper

• Advertisement

That's brilliant solice, thanks!

Rymus, I'll keep you informed :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Ye can all stay in my gaff Amz, no problem. There's only the one bed but we'll figure something out.

adam

Nice one!

We can spend our accommodation monies on beer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

what about the bru bar hostel, is that near UCC? its cheap.........
    mmmm, beer :)

Amz wrote:
    We can spend our accommodation monies on beer!
    On beer for me, certainly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

rugbug86 wrote:
    what about the bru bar hostel, is that near UCC? its cheap.........

It's about 5 minutes walk from the train station, about 25 mins from UCC.
    It's handy for town too. Then again Cork City is small enough, so everywhere is fairly handy.

deRanged wrote:
    Cork City is small enough, so everywhere is fairly handy.
    Including dahamsta!

I'll get me coat.

Sure come out with us for some pints.

solice wrote:
    If you are looking for a hubby of an agricultural background try Reardens.

Ahh it's funny 'cos it's true... Good old reardens.. you'd have to be as rich as a farmer to drink in there these days.

rymus wrote:
    Ahh it's funny 'cos it's true... Good old reardens.. you'd have to be as rich as a farmer to drink in there these days.
    And a moron.

Amz, lift this thread when you're coming down and I'll meet ye for a few pints anyway. I dunno would a load of rugger-buggeresses appeal to this bunch of dry-balled babysham*-drinking fairies though. All due respect to fairies, obviously.

adam

*Geddit?

Will do.

Don't let Dahamsta choose the pub though.
    He's closed two down already.

closed down should perhaps read "drank dry".

I'll go out for pintee's. Only if I can have a pint of babyc(s)ham and sit next to a socket so I can power my ball dryer all night. Ohh and if there isn't an AA meeting on that night of course.

But of course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

dahamsta wrote:
    Ye can all stay in my gaff Amz, no problem. There's only the one bed but we'll figure something out.

Isn't that the bed that "converts" ?

• Advertisement

O_ó

damien.m wrote:
    Isn't that the bed that "converts" ?
    A try beats a conversion every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Fanfuggingtastic comeback.

Respect for that. *claps*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

amz ya forgetted the most important question, whats the best kebab shop in cork? (well one relatively near to bru bar/hostel)

dont you know what they put in those things? You ladies should be eating nice healthy salads with sumptuous low-fat dressings. Or so the TV would have me believe...

Your first mistake was thinking that we're "ladies".

i must admit I was very tempted to give the ladies part the italics treatment. I chose not to lest I be thought a knave

Heaven forefend young rymus!

rugbug86 wrote:
    amz ya forgetted the most important question, whats the best kebab shop in cork? (well one relatively near to bru bar/hostel)

Don't worry - there's plenty dodgy food places within a couple of mins walk of that hostel.

• Advertisement

There's plenty of dodgy food places within a couple of mins walk of anywhere in the city; you could throw a rugger buggeress out of the window and hit one. Well, three of you could throw a rugger buggeress out of the window and hit one. And of course most of our dodgy food places are tokally greasylicious.

I hope all those rugger buggeresses have nice hockey playerette legs. I've noticed a distinct parallel between rugger buggeress legs and hockey playerette legs in the past, and I'm extremely partial to hockey playerette legs.

Excuse me, I have to go take a cold shower... in me coat...

Hockey?

Surely you mean "Stick Wars" or "The other sport" as it's affectionately known on our team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Shame on you! Beating people with sticks is a national institution.

Aye, but alas it got our captain injured and keeps her from us during certain matches.

'Tis evil! EEEEEEVIL!

So this was last week Amz? Why'n'cha let us know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

You could try the airbus... its pure comfortable.. and its on 12.50 return from cork to dublin.. so i assume its the same the other way.
    and girlie..
    be very careful of the cork men!!!
    I'll say no more :cool:

• Advertisement

You didn't seem to want to come out to play pet.

Think they went to Bruno's?

I went home early anyway, didn't fancy spending another night in a bunk bed.

I'll give ye a shout next time and we'll have a proper session.

Amz wrote:
    You didn't seem to want to come out to play pet.
    Didn't even know you were down here sweetie.
    I'll give ye a shout next time and we'll have a proper session.
    Do girl. Or gather together a few boardsies in June and join our session. God knows we could do with a few foreigners to bulk up.

adam

Haha we'll see how it goes :)

The Brú Bar and Hostel where we stayed seemed central enough. Might be able to get a few people to stay there and what not.

Will keep ye posted :)

Advertisement