Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesco: Great price for provisional drivers!

Options
  • 02-03-2005 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just after signing up with Tesco for my insurance over the phone. It cost €1,430 in total.

I'm a 20 year old male. I have had my licence since Dec 03 and started my policy with Quinn Direct for €3,600 Feb 18th 2004. I have a 1 year no claims bonus now. I drive a 1l(998cc) Nissan Micra and live in Bray.

I got a renewal quote of €2,179 from Quinn Direct. I rang Hibernian and they beat that with €1940 providing I took the IAM provisional Ignition Course for €70. I took it and failed, nerves, weird car and some bad habbits. I tried again 2 weeks later (yesterday) and passed.

I rang QD to see if they could beat €1940 and they said they don't compete.

I tried Tesco and I got a quote of €1430 (It's €1364 if you pick Wicklow over Bray as area of use) including windscreen cover etc. They had to put me down as full licence because that's what the ignition does, or so I was told.

I rang to go ahead with quote and had to give details again, I was quoted €1790 with windscreen cover or €1724 without (still good) but I said I was told I would only have to pay €1430. I gave the name of the lady I spoke to and 2 minutes later I am given the price of €1430 including windscreen cover and some other cover that costs €12 that gives you €26K if you lose a limb/die/lose vision. Plus I get 3000 clubcard points :D I don't have a clubcard so I get vouchers.

Very happy indeed!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

nice one, are they doing online quotes yet? or have you a number for them? cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

Whats the number?
    Would they have given u a quote if u didnt have the ingnition test done?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Tesco: 1850640640
    IAM-To book ignition test (€70): 353 56 7771778 (They will give you a test within a week or two of ringing. Prepare for it, they aren't leniant)

They do online quotes, you will get an idea of price by choosing "full licence".

I'm not sure if they made a mistake with me, thus dropping from €1790 to €1430 (their first quote, where they may have made a mistake) or if that is what you should be paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

are you sure they accept the provisional ignition course pass as a full liccence or was this an oversight on one of your parts that will be uncovered should you need to claim...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭$lash

Didn't realise they were doing insurance yet... What are they like for performance cars??

• Advertisement

uberwolf wrote:
    are you sure they accept the provisional ignition course pass as a full liccence or was this an oversight on one of your parts that will be uncovered should you need to claim...

I think she had to do a seperate form because it was provisional Ignition, I think with this it came to €1790 and I then had to say I was told it was the same price as with a full licence if you had the provisional ignition passed (€1430). She had to get the name of the lady who said this to me, put me on hold and check. She came back and gave me the cheaper quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

cormie wrote:
    Hi,
    providing I took the IAM provisional Ignition Course for €70. I took it and failed, nerves, weird car and some bad habbits. I tried again 2 weeks later (yesterday) and passed.

I
    Is this course not free? I thought you just paid a deposit?

FX Meister wrote:
    Is this course not free? I thought you just paid a deposit?

I had to pay €70 for each assessment through credit card.

I think Hibernian may have said something like "yes, €1940 is the price after we have taken the €70 into consideration". Meaning it was €2010 if you get me. They may not have said anything of the sort though. Too many phonecalls with too many companies.

and who was this lady - who'd given you the cheaper "full licence" qoute?

I don't know if I got her in trouble so I'm not going to make her lose her job altogether:)

• Advertisement

AH, so this particularly special price may non-replicable? although they are underwritten by Hibernian so they should recognise the qualification. But your posts make me think otherwise hence the request for clarification.

What posts? Tesco only accept people who pass Ignition.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

cormie wrote:
    What posts? Tesco only accept people who pass Ignition.

Eh....are you quite sure about that? If that were true, they would be shooing away the vast majority of potential customers!

Provisional Ignition, yes.

They are regulated with Hibernian so same rules I think. I don't think Hibernian insure provisional drivers unless they have passed Ignition either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

No thats wrong.

They will insure you on a provisional without the ignition.

The ignition is only to prove to them that you are a "safe" driver, and they will give you a discount for passing it. But thats all :)

Ok cool ;) I thought they said you have to have passed it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Hiberian are extremely insistant on people taking the ignition course regardless of age, licence status or driving experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

Cormie in the terms & conditions its states
    "That you have a full Irish or EU driving licence, or if you have a provisional Irish licence, that you have at least 3 years no claims discount."

U have neither a full driving licence or 3 years no claims discount. It sounds quite vague the way they put u down as full licence which u assumed was because u had the ignition done (which there is no mention of in the t&c's). I think when u go to get this quote their going to ask to see ur full licence or at the very least u will b screwed if u go to make a claim.

Im not trying to get at u ot nothing,only stating what the t&c's say. I thought when Tesco started doing insurance they would be some good deals but their only as bad as any other Irish rip off insurance company.

What we need is the government to open up the competition to other EU insurance companies in Germany or France or the like.
    Brian Cowan threatened to do this but with the reschuffle Micheál Martin hasnt said a word about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Turlock

The provisional IAM test is not the proper Ignition, doing it does not mean you have passed your driving test so you can't say you have a full license for your quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

They weren't with me, as soon as I said I had 3 years NCB she said straight away I didn't have to do the ignition course

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

I got a quote with them just now. Just shy of 2300 on a 1.3L, doesn't even come close to beating my best quote, and 500 more then they would be charging me if I had a full licence. Back to britton insurance I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I got a really good quote from Britton, much cheaper than others, when I called them they told me I had to do the ignition course.

MrP

MrPudding wrote:
    I got a really good quote from Britton, much cheaper than others, when I called them they told me I had to do the ignition course.

MrP
    Not an issue for me, did it last Tuesday. You really need to have it if you want to get a quote below 2,500. Actually that reminds me *goes to find old thread*

I managed to get a quote of just under €1400 for me and GF in a new 1.5 Nissan Almera, fully comp with zero no claims.

mrP

MrPudding wrote:
    I managed to get a quote of just under €1400 for me and GF in a new 1.5 Nissan Almera, fully comp with zero no claims.

mrP

I'm assuming you're not in your early twenties? If you are, how the hell did you manage that? I put in anything about a 1.4 and they just laugh at me.

MrP

MrPudding wrote:

MrP
    *cough*damnyoutohell*cough* ;)

Well I told them my provisional was issued to me on dec 8 2003 and I have one 1 yr NCB, so that means I don't have 3 years. Are you saying that they will say I have given false information and wont be covered to claim?

Who are britton (number??) do they do young provisional drivers?

http://www.brittoninsurance.com

There's an online quote jobbie and contact numbers there. They're willing to insure me and I'm 23, provisional license and no NCB (for 2k though). I may not be going with them though, it's a high priority that I get insured by today, and they want my documents in the post first, I'm going to call them @ 9 to see if fax will do, otherwise I'm willing to pay the extra 175 Euro that Tescos want (assuming they'll insurance me sharpish that is)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

oxygen wrote:
    What we need is the government to open up the competition to other EU insurance companies in Germany or France or the like.
    Brian Cowan threatened to do this but with the reschuffle Micheál Martin hasnt said a word about it.
    Dude, if we had to do driving lessons like in Germany, we wouldn't be in the state we are now. The Germans seemingly teach you everything (according to the National Geo. channel), including driving when its raining, etc. Here; they teach you the basic's. Heck; there's no standard the instructor has to pass. Once they have a full license, they can teach! Also, I'd say its partly due to the fact that once you have a provisional, you can drive. You don't even need to pass a test, before you can drive, that puts insurance that bit higher.

Oh, and just for ye who don't think Germany is better than us, insurance wise;
    Ireland, 20y/o male; €4000
    Germany, 20y/o male; €400

Advertisement