Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesco: Great price for provisional drivers!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Mohanned

the_syco wrote:
    Dude, if we had to do driving lessons like in Germany, we wouldn't be in the state we are now. The Germans seemingly teach you everything (according to the National Geo. channel), including driving when its raining, etc. Here; they teach you the basic's. Heck; there's no standard the instructor has to pass. Once they have a full license, they can teach! Also, I'd say its partly due to the fact that once you have a provisional, you can drive. You don't even need to pass a test, before you can drive, that puts insurance that bit higher.

Oh, and just for ye who don't think Germany is better than us, insurance wise;
    Ireland, 20y/o male; €4000
    Germany, 20y/o male; €400

**** man thats a big difference

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

What?!!?!?! €400!!! That's crazy.

It's true, I know some terrible drivers, the two I am thinking of are both 50 years old and have been driving for years. However, they don't really have a clue and a great danger on the roads.

I'm going to ring tesco and check if the 3yr NCB is applicable to me because I have passed ignition.

Any ideas what the story is if they say I agreed to the t+c with that in it when it was false? I have already given CC details so they basically have my money and the policy started at 00.00 this morning :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

I dont get it! ignition is available now up to 1.6, yet tesco online are telling me they wont insure me with anything above 1.4!

Well I rang and confirmed that I am exempt from the 3yr NCB requirement because I passed the provisional Ignition:)

Ring tesco and see what the story is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 MR2GIRLRACER

Thought you guys might be interested it this...
    I'm getting a Toyota MR2 2litre Turbo in May/June, i'm 17 and as a provisional named driver under my mother's name (but believe me, she won't be driving it!!),i got an insurance quote from Britton Insurance for 2,435!!! :cool:
    Which, i'm sure you'll agree is much better than the quotes I got from other companys for 5,000 and over.
    Go Brittan Insurance!!
    And I know that as a named driver I won't recieve any no claims bonus, but hey, i'm 17 i don't have the cash to insure a MR2 Turbo as the main driver

• Advertisement

That's excellent! Good find, from your name I'm guessing your female though? It would be much higher for a guy I'm guessing. You may be better off going for a 1l and getting insurance under your own name. Probably work out cheaper in the long run? Plus, you would be paying less than the quote you got on a 1l if you're female.

I just got my forms from tesco anyway,
    It says I'm under class A1-Social, domestic and pleasure use only.
    So if I use this for driving to work and crash on the way, is my insurance void?

And whats the story with all this STEPBACK NCD, PART PROTECTED NCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

do ye have to do the ignition test in order to get tesco insurance?

/edit
    never mind. read the quote page and it told me.:rolleyes:

I think you either need a 3yr NCB on your provisional licence or else you have to pass the ignition test. You should consider doing it anyway. It costs €70 and shows you are a competant driver. It will look good for any company you go to:) Definitely worth it. It saved me €700 :eek:

mr2girlracer you'll get a nice surprise when u goto renew! i did the exact same thing with my integra, not a 2 litre mind u lol, but after 1 yaer its come down to 1900 for me, and i was told when i get my licence, and do the ignition it will be 2200 FULLY COMP in my own name. im 22 and prov at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Delta_ie

Deleted

• Advertisement

who is that with?

if its me yer talkin to, im with hibernian

No sorry, it was Delta's above post, but he deleted it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Delta_ie

Oh sorry do not what happen there, hibernian do the thing I mentioned above.
    Thats a link to the hibernian info site
    http://hibernian.netsource.ie/insurance/ignition_prov.asp

It talks about the provisional loading and 23% discount

Cormie - Yup, I'm female and yup that most certainly does go in my favour in regards to insurance quotes... Sorry guys!! ;)
    Yeah it'd be cheaper to go with a 1L, but hey, my dream is to have an MR2 and i'm willing to pay any price for that dream to come true.

Heggie - YIPPIE!!!! See people, that's the way to do it! Put yourself as a named driver rather than the main driver for a yr or two and eventually when you insure in your own name you'll have pretty much the same quote that you would have if you had been insured in your own name all along.
    P.S: An Integra... LOVE them! Any pics??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Cormie - Yup, I'm female and yup that most certainly does go in my favour in regards to insurance quotes... Sorry guys!! ;)
    Yeah it'd be cheaper to go with a 1L, but hey, my dream is to have an MR2 and i'm willing to pay any price for that dream to come true.

Heggie - YIPPIE!!!! See people, that's the way to do it! Put yourself as a named driver rather than the main driver for a yr or two and eventually when you insure in your own name you'll have pretty much the same quote that you would have if you had been insured in your own name all along.
    P.S: An Integra... LOVE them! Any pics??

I heard of someone getting caught at this. Its known as 'floating'. ie. putting yer mammy/daddy as owner of car and you getting insured as a named driver...eventhought its your car.

Anyway yer man had a crash, and turns out an insurance rep was sent on investigation, asking neighbours etc. who drove the car. When the insurance company copped that they were 'floating' they didnt pay out. TRUE STORY :eek:

JohnCleary wrote:
    I heard of someone getting caught at this. Its known as 'floating'. ie. putting yer mammy/daddy as owner of car and you getting insured as a named driver...eventhought its your car.

Anyway yer man had a crash, and turns out an insurance rep was sent on investigation, asking neighbours etc. who drove the car. When the insurance company copped that they were 'floating' they didnt pay out. TRUE STORY :eek:
    Sh1t! Well then i really REALLY better not crash, there's no way i'm gonna be able to afford to insure under my own name. At the moment anyway.
    But thanks for the warning John ;)

You're name isn't so re-assuring that you wont crash :o
    we have enough boy-racers. I go the limits in my crappy lil Micra, it's not that hard :D

Sh1t! Well then i really REALLY better not crash, there's no way i'm gonna be able to afford to insure under my own name. At the moment anyway.
    But thanks for the warning John ;)

Um, you say that your paying extra for a 'real car' but 'cant afford' to pay for insurance.
    Surely a bit of a contradition? Personally if I saw an inexperienced 17 year old girl driver on a prov driving an mr2, id pull her out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

JohnCleary wrote:
    id pull her out of it

Don't stop half way through.... what would you do then... :eek: :eek:

• Advertisement

JohnCleary wrote:
    Um, you say that your paying extra for a 'real car' but 'cant afford' to pay for insurance.
    Surely a bit of a contradition?

Na I didn't say I'm paying extra for a 'real car', in fact MR2's sell for anything from 4,000+. Pretty good deal i think!
    If i had no rent or bills to pay i probably could afford to insure under my own name. But the fact that to do that each year would cost me 6,000+, (which is more than the cars worth itself) is why i have reservations and am opting to be a named driver. I'd kinda rather have an MR2 and a roof over my head rather than an MR2 and no roof over my head, if you can see where i'm coming from :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

I'd kinda rather have an MR2 and a roof over my head rather than an MR2 and no roof over my head, if you can see where i'm coming from :o

I can! I'm in the same stinkin boat :mad:

AlienGav wrote:
    I can! I'm in the same stinkin boat :mad:

At last, i'm not alone!
    P.S: Liking the GT Turbo - Is it your's?

mr2girl can u recommend any places to pick an mr2 up, i have been looking to get somethin with a bit more power, as for pics http://www.cardomain.com/id/heggie2000 has some before i did my tints and sound system.

Saw your pics, may i just say that is one YUMMY car ;)
    Well, i'm afraid to say it's hard to find MR2's for sale these days. They're just so sexy that no-one wants to sell theirs!
    Autotrader would probably be your best bet, or the buy&sell. If you don't see anything you like there, try Jap Imports, they're always helpfull.
    Good Luck and let us know how you get on!
    P.S: Check out the comments on MR2's at www.carsurvey.org, it will give you a good idea on how great these cars are :)

hehe cheers, i dont want to sell it , but cant get turbo in without spending stupid money!

Hmmm... Well I don't know much about installing turbos. I suppose it wouldn't be possible for you to get an Integra turbo engine from the breakers? Like from an Integra that's going for parts?

nah was told everything but the shell would need to be changed! i'd need a complete donor car

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ferror

heggie wrote:
    hehe cheers, i dont want to sell it , but cant get turbo in without spending stupid money!

The cheap option: electric supercharger.
    Creates some nice boost at a fraction of the cost. Only downside i see is that it might restrict airflow when not in operation.

• Advertisement

Insurance companies WILL catch you out with floating on a car of this spec. If you crash (even a small tip) you'll be in trouble missie! I have a 2ltr turbo conversion and I had to change to my own policy because I know the law would be down on me like a ton of bricks trying to catch me.

As a tip, DO NOT get a 2ltr turbo car as a first car. Your an inexperienced driver, you get into a 2ltr turbo you WILL crash. You may have been driving down backroads since you were 12, but your still inexperienced. Get a 1.4, get some practise, build up an NCB like me :)

Advertisement