Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intels Dual Core Processors

Options
  • 02-03-2005 7:06pm
    Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭

Just in case you missed Intel has been showing off there new processors slated for Q2 2005 release.

Ditching the 4 we have the New Pentium D's which are dual core (Smithfield).

There is 3 of them all of which are effectively two Prescotts glued together
    They all have an FSB of 800mhz and (2x1MB)2MB Cache.
    They clock in at 2.8Ghz (820) 3.0Ghz (830) and 3.2Ghz (840)
    No Hyper Threading on these guys.

Also showing was Pentium Extreme Edition which has hyper threading (2 threads per core 4 in total) and a FSB of 1066Mhz. It will appear in 3.2Ghz form.
    All of the obove chips are 90nm.

The successor to these chips is also doing the rounds. Its called Pressler and its got two physical seperated cores and a total of 4MB cache 2MB per core. Its 65nm. It also supports hyper threading like the the extreme edition. It was only running at 2.0Ghz but its still a year from release.

About that time should see the new mobile chip from intel appear to. The Yonah/Jonah which is a 65nm dual core cpu slated for release next year.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

I'm quite sure that they do have Hyperthreading.... Read it numerous times. Gives a total of 4 logical CPU's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

No hyperthreading on the Pentium D's according to this

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

There is going to be Hyper Threading on the Xeon versions..

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

From what I've heard Hyper Threading is abit of a white elephant anyway. Very few applications make use of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Very few apps make use of it. It's main purpose is for improved multi-tasking which is why the p4's are better at muti tasking than a64's.

BloodBath

• Advertisement

Hmmm I'm not following. I thought was HT designed to improve multitasking? If an app does not use HT then how could it benefit from it. I though the Intels where better at mutitasking for some other reason?

How can it in general improve mutitasking unless apps designed for it are being used?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Multitasking surely you all mean multithreading?

Now you just confused me :confused:

Someone want to clarify that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

BloodBath wrote:
    Very few apps make use of it. It's main purpose is for improved multi-tasking which is why the p4's are better at muti tasking than a64's.

BloodBath

since when are p4's known for being better at multitasking???i though they were pretty even. Only apps that support hyperthreading will benifit from a p4 with hyperthreading.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Azza wrote:
    Now you just confused me :confused:

Someone want to clarify that?

Should Help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

amd may have beaten intel to the 1 ghz CPU,and the 64 bit desktop cpu and the first demonstraitions of dual-core processors ,but intel has made damn sure that it was first to get the latter off the production line .On the 7th of feb ,intel announced that it had completed initial production runs of dual-core processors.
    intel also chose this time to announce that there will be a dual-core standard "smithfeild "pentium (note that the 4 has been dropped)and the extreme edition .the latter will also feature HT ,whichn intel comfrimed will have the ability to process 4 software threads simultaneously.this will be great news for any serious folders out there but only in the unlikely event that it costs less than two decent xeons.
    the extreme ed will be supported by a new mother bard chipset called (previously known as glenwood)called the 955xe express,which will feature intel high definition audio ,pci-e and dual channel ddr2 memory.(so whats the difference between this and the 925 ?)there will also be two new chipsets for the standard dual-core pentium called 945g express and 945p express

this was from this months custom pc mag hope it makes some sence to those who have lost in this thread

so are the dual cores in any shops in the usa or anything yet???

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

dubdvd wrote:
    whichn intel comfrimed will have the ability to process 4 software threads simultaneously.this will be great news for any serious folders out there but only in the unlikely event that it costs less than two decent xeons.
    Might also be of use for apps which can have PER PROCESSOR licenses, like MSSQL , but that just means Intel could get away with charging more. This sort of stuff could also be of use for people with Win9x / Windows 2000 Home and XP home as just about everything else will make use of two pocessors - but then again the pricing would rule this out for windows Home users.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

Q2 of the year so ill say it will be state side in around june july and here maybe in august so im going to lay of the idea of upgrading till then as youll see the first nvidea p4 chipsets around the same time ...so you can gave dual core cpu and dual GPU an and dual channel ddr2 all rolled into the one rig sounds nice as will be the price i,d say

dubdvd wrote:
    Q2 of the year so ill say it will be state side in around june july and here maybe in august so im going to lay of the idea of upgrading till then as youll see the first nvidea p4 chipsets around the same time ...so you can gave dual core cpu and dual GPU an and dual channel ddr2 all rolled into the one rig sounds nice as will be the price i,d say

Yeh id say it will cost heaps and then u have to get a decent phasechange system for it for it to be that extra special ;)

Hmmm I'm not following. I thought was HT designed to improve multitasking? If an app does not use HT then how could it benefit from it. I though the Intels where better at mutitasking for some other reason?

How can it in general improve mutitasking unless apps designed for it are being used?

Quoted from Intels site.
    Hyper-Threading Technology also delivers faster response times for multi-tasking workload environments. By allowing the processor to use on-die resources that would otherwise have been idle, Hyper-Threading Technology provides a performance boost on multi-threading and multi-tasking operations for the Intel NetBurst® microarchitecture.

http://www.intel.com/technology/hyperthread/

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

dual core >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> hyperthreading

licensing is going to be per socket

Well when you compare the current processors from Intel and AMD none really lag far behind the other in any area except when it comes to gaming only there is there a significant gap in favour of AMD.

Also I know microsoft are using single licensing for dual core cpus.

Intrestingly AMD are stating that there dual cores will not need new motherboards. How do you interupt that. Does that mean are current socket 939 boards will run them (ie the dual core only has a single socket) or does it mean that current boards can be very easily change to include a second socket.
    If you do not need to upgrade your motherboard to run these dual cores then surely thats a huge advantage to AMD.

AMD 64's dual core chip the Toledo looks like coming in with 3 chip coming in at 2.0Ghz, 2.2Ghz and 2.4Ghz supporting a total of 2MB cache per dual core cpu. All of those with 90nm. If these specs are correct and they are performing the same as the single core CPU's then AMD will maintain a performance gap over Intel. AMD have seem to plan this better. There chips where designed with dual core in mind wheres Intel seem to be patching there cpus (like the inclusion of 64bit) to do things they where not really designed to do. AMD should shortly have Venice (single) core out soon which is suppose to be 24% faster at the same clock speed and also include SSE3 instruction set. There is also the possibilty of single core chips from AMD reaching 3.0GHz.

However intel will have there desktop dual cores out well before AMD as AMD are concentrating on releasing there dual cores on servers first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

Multi-tasking means having more application than one running at a time. So they dont need to be optimised for hyper-threading.

2 applications that arent optimised = 1 application that is.

All it is is pseudo-multiprocessing. Each application takes a virtual CPU each. No optimisations needed...... Although for a single app (eg a game) to benefit, then yes, u would need optimisations.

go go amd. Ah no serious it will be interesting to see how this pans out, AMD seem to have better plans alrite, being able to use the same mobo is a massive advantage, also intel have recently just released 775 range of cpus (single core) and will be reeasing duals soon, seems like too many products in a short space of time

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

i heard that Intel are trying to have 90% of new desktops sold using dualcore chips by december

jessy wrote:

I kno but theve only just brought out the single core 775's not so long ago

ATI could be accussed of the same thing with too many graphics cards crammed all over the place and prices all over there (9800pro dear the 6600GT X800XT cheaper than the 6800GT).

Hehe AMD crashed Intel Developers Forum in San Francisco by organising a sky display of there upcoming mobile chip.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21550

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

hey! my dad was at that

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    hey! my dad was at that

cool

hey! my dad was at that

LMAO!!!

Well when you compare the current processors from Intel and AMD none really lag far behind the other in any area except when it comes to gaming only there is there a significant gap in favour of AMD.

Intrestingly AMD are stating that there dual cores will not need new motherboards. How do you interupt that. Does that mean are current socket 939 boards will run them (ie the dual core only has a single socket) or does it mean that current boards can be very easily change to include a second socket.
    If you do not need to upgrade your motherboard to run these dual cores then surely thats a huge advantage to AMD.

AMD 64's dual core chip the Toledo looks like coming in with 3 chip coming in at 2.0Ghz, 2.2Ghz and 2.4Ghz supporting a total of 2MB cache per dual core cpu. All of those with 90nm. If these specs are correct and they are performing the same as the single core CPU's then AMD will maintain a performance gap over Intel. AMD have seem to plan this better. There chips where designed with dual core in mind wheres Intel seem to be patching there cpus (like the inclusion of 64bit) to do things they where not really designed to do. AMD should shortly have Venice (single) core out soon which is suppose to be 24% faster at the same clock speed and also include SSE3 instruction set. There is also the possibilty of single core chips from AMD reaching 3.0GHz.

Intels dual cores will be on socket 775. I the smithfield a variation of the Prescott core? Where did you see this?

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

current 939 motherboards will be able to run dual core chips with a bios update.
    from Azza:

What are you trying to say there?

In simple terms:

XP home will fully support one dual core processor, as it supports a single hyperthreaded processor, and as it supports one single core processor.

XP pro will fully support 2 of any of them. If intel released a 512core processor, then XP pro would support 2 of them.

Current intel boards will NOT support dual core. New boards WILL be needed.

• Advertisement

astrofool wrote:
    Current intel boards will NOT support dual core. New boards WILL be needed.

where did you get this info from?

Advertisement