Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intels Dual Core Processors

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Azza

Smithfield I believe is essentially 2 precott cores.

www.anandtech.com for the articles.

More good news for AMD looks like 2.4Ghz is the lowest spec speed that the dual cores will be released (leaving a possibilty that over 2.6Ghz dual cores will be released in the first wave). AMD does not seem to mind going high end first and then release lower spec cpu's. Only thing if this is true then there going be pricer. There bound to be there almost certainly going have FX tag atatched to them.

I'm not sure about Intel neeeding new boards for dual core. I have been hearing confilicting stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Azza wrote:
    Smithfield I believe is essentially 2 precott cores.

www.anandtech.com for the articles.

More good news for AMD looks like 2.4Ghz is the lowest spec speed that the dual cores will be released (leaving a possibilty that over 2.6Ghz dual cores will be released in the first wave). AMD does not seem to mind going high end first and then release lower spec cpu's. Only thing if this is true then there going be pricer. There bound to be there almost certainly going have FX tag atatched to them.

I'm not sure about Intel neeeding new boards for dual core. I have been hearing confilicting stories.

cant wait for cpu kits for the new amd ones for the mach II, mite be time for an upgrade again. Time to start buying in the states in think again, i can imagine prices in europe will be crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Current intel boards will NOT support dual core. New boards WILL be needed.

Well from what i've been reading the s775 boards will be used for dual cores.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

it appears that glenwood and lakeport will be tailor made for the dual core processors.

And yea, it isn't really that clear over whether older boards will support it or not, both will use lga775 on an 800mhz bus (1066mhz for the EE). Could it be another prescott where some boards do and some boards don't support it? Guess it'll be wait and see.

At least I KNOW that my s939 will support dual core.

At least I KNOW that my s939 will support dual core.

No you don't. Amd haven't released any detailed information the same as intel. Both have claimed existing sockets will be used.

BloodBath

• Advertisement

AMD just recently said that it won't need new motherboards for its dual cores and in the context they said it they implied it was to there advantage so I assume they thought that Intel to some extent will need new motherboards for dual core. The articles I read saying Intel will run dual cores on 775 are quite old . I don't if things have changed.

I honestly don't know what the situation is nothing is set in stone although it does seem likely that 939 boards will work with AMD's dual cores whenever that maybe.

Doesn't matter to me anyway as I'll have to switch mobo regardless. If amd come out tops I will be getting an amd processor. How long will we have to wait for desktop amd dual cores though?

BloodBath

The dual core AMD I believe are going appear around Q3 2005. They where moved foward but Intel I believe has moved foward twice. AMD will win the race with dual cores in the server area I think there out Q2 this year.

Its all very well going dual core if you have the money but your gonna need alot of it regardless of buying Intel or AMD.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Azza wrote:
    Its all very well going dual core if you have the money but your gonna need alot of it regardless of buying Intel or AMD.

Anyone got any estimate's on a price yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

astrofool wrote:
    What are you trying to say there?

In simple terms:

XP home will fully support one dual core processor, as it supports a single hyperthreaded processor, and as it supports one single core processor.

XP pro will fully support 2 of any of them. If intel released a 512core processor, then XP pro would support 2 of them.

Microsoft have said that they will treat dual core processors in 1 phyisical package as 1 processor for licensing purposes on XP, SQL server and most of their other major packages. To my knowledge they havent said how/if they will modify their existing packages to do this. Either their CPU detection routines wont be able to distinguish between a dual core processor and a single core processor OR they will have to update the code with a fix from windows update.

To all those getting excited about dual core - bear in mind that most app's and games will have to be recoded/compiled to take full advantage of 2 cores, just like when the Pentium was first released and the MMX and SSE additions, and the A64. Dont expect huge performance gains just by dropping in a dual core.

In fact since dual cores will tend to have lower clock speeds than the single core chips you may even see performance drop on everything but the newest Games!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

Nobody is saying that dual core will be faster for single apps, squirrel. In fact everybody is sayingthat it won't be.

Everyone is however saying that it will be faster for MULTIPLE apps, where there will be undeniable benefit.

padraigf wrote:
    Nobody is saying that dual core will be faster for single apps, squirrel. In fact everybody is sayingthat it won't be.

Everyone is however saying that it will be faster for MULTIPLE apps, where there will be undeniable benefit.
    Absolutely - I wasnt out to correct anyone - just to mention that although a dualie core is more technically advanced than a single core - most of us will probably be better off with the high end single core chips - figuring that most of us will be heavy single application/game users. ;)

ie lets not get too carried away by the hype just yet :D

On that very subject how many next gen games have announced dual core/ multi cpu support? And how many games currently support SMP?

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Have a question.

Im thinking of getting an Athlon 64 4000 chip over the summer but having second thoughts now after reading about the dual core chips. Which would be better to get?

Firstly - wait a little while -the 4200 is due out in the next coupla months which will cause a price drop on the 4000.

Secondly there is still some confusion over whether our existing motherboards will support the dualies.

Thirdly AMD will be concentrating on getting their Dual core Opterons (server)out of the door first. Intel are a better bet for the first desktop dualies - but they are going to be putting out enough heat to melt the ice caps - Up to 135 watts.

Fourthly I would get a socket 939 Winchester (90nm) core Amd 64 3000 & 3200, those little puppies overclock really well.

All AMD 64's single core chips will be released by April 4th. What numbers they be available in is another question.

AMD have speed up work on the dual core desktops. Will only be a month or so behind Intels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Azza wrote:
    All AMD 64's single core chips will be released by April 4th. What numbers they be available in is another question.

AMD have speed up work on the dual core desktops. Will only be a month or so behind Intels.

Yeh go for one of the new babies, but then again the current chips do overclock very nicely. Its hard to know what to go for to upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21793

about how current intel boards won't support dual chips

Advertisement