Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats a good MMORPG to play?

Options
  • 02-03-2005 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Thought this would be the best place to ask this question, as I'm thinking of getting one. A few people I know got World of Warcraft, and when I asked them what its like, they said "its like any other MMORPG, only better".

Now, thats the problem. I've never really played a MMORPG. So, I wouldn't have a clue what you do in one. I've seen one called Planetside, where you run around, and kill people, which looks fun. But what do you do in WoW? Can you also go around killing people? And how would this be better than a game such as Battlefield (1942, Vietnam, etc), where you go around killing people as well.

Up to now I've being playing BFV, BF42, etc, and I'm wondering; what do you actually do in th various MMORPG's? And also, whats a good one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

do the Bartle test...

http://www.andreasen.org/bartle/test.cgi

Let me expand on that.. Do the test and post your results (Killer, explorer, etc). Ignore what muds to play.

Gives a good idea of what game you would like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Gerry, speaking from someone who has played both and loved both. I think you would prefer planetside. Think counter-strike/Battle Field vietnam with combat ranks, tanks, buggys, close air support, with 100's of players competing and set in a futuristic world.

Took me several months to get it out of my system and in the end it was only battleframes that did it. Which wouldnt really be a problem for anyone who didnt know any different.

At worst its a game that you will get more lifetime out of than most current FPS (think half-life 2) and at best a game you will keep coming back to.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hobbes wrote:
    do the Bartle test...

http://www.andreasen.org/bartle/test.cgi

Let me expand on that.. Do the test and post your results (Killer, explorer, etc). Ignore what muds to play.

Gives a good idea of what game you would like.
    Also, this part means nothing to me;
    Your type is: AKE. 4% of respondents so far fall into that type.

Achiever 60%
    Killer 53%
    Explorer 53%
    Socializer 33%
    Does it mean anything to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

It means you like to kill other people and get phat loot. Planetside would probably be best for you. The only other ones I know of remotely close to that is Neocron or Asherons Call (Darktide Server) but not sure if you would like them or not.

The problem with your score is, that as its a low percentage that the games that will cover you will also drag in others who like killing people. You are quite liable to be prey for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Hehe
    Thanks for taking the test. You are person number 301419 to take it.

Your type is: EKA. 1% of respondents so far fall into that type.

Your answers were split as follows:
    Explorer 73%
    Killer 66%
    Achiever 33%
    Socializer 26%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hobbes wrote:
    You are quite liable to be prey for a long time.
    Ah well, its all fun and giggles. If I do become prey, I'll load up something with C4, flip opn the trigger, and wait for someone to come too close :cool:

=====

Ivan; How much is Planetside per month, and how do you pay? CC, or do they take postal order, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

Planetside is the first MMO game I've played, and I really like it. If you plan to get it, get the Aftershock set off Amazon, as that will save you several hours of downloading updates.

I also recommend getting a headset (earphones and mic), as most of the better organised outfits use Teamspeak (or a similar program) when playing. Voice communications and an organised outfit will give you a much better experience of the game.

If you're interested, PM me and we can talk more about the game.

Advertisement