Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

prutton ten games

• 02-03-2005 7:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭

david prutton got ten games. lucky/unlucky???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Seems very harsh imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

A bit harsh, if there wasn't 10 or 11 games left in season would he still have got that ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

depends. if he was actually gonna deck the linesman then its not enough, if however, he was just tryin to intimidate the linesman then its prob a bit too harsh! i think it seemed worse coz everyone, includin harry, was holdin him back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

He pushed the ref 3 or 4 times and didn't even notice who he was pushing. His eyes were on the linesman the whole time. I'd say he would have went for the linesman, he had completely lost his temper. That was his 10th booking of the season BTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

how much did ur man get for pushin the ref to the ground a season or 2 ago? cant remember who it was but remember the ref did a big dramatic tumble to the ground?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Di canio was vilified for pushing "that" ref who went down like a premiership player diving for a penalty and should prutton be treated any different .If anything pruttons was a more serious offence as he seemed to be threatening violence at the officals.As much as some offficals do my head in with brutal decisions they have to have some protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

It was Paulo Di Canio. He got 11 games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

A little harsh I think..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

It seems harsh to me, 5 or 6 games would have been sufficent. The guy got fustrated and it was only a bit of handbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Very harsh, di Canio gets 11 games for forceably pushing a referee to the ground, Prutton gets 10 for ever so barely laying his hands on a referee.

His fine was also three times what Aragones got for what he said about Henry, theres such imbalance and inconsistency in football these days, its hard to know what to think.
    Its a good job Harry brought in a couple of centre mids during the transfer window, and Matty Oakley is well on his way back to full fitness, so it shouldn't be a massive loss, although other than the big man, Prutton has been our best player in the past couple of months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

10 is about right, Prutton lost it totally :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

dceire wrote:
    It seems harsh to me, 5 or 6 games would have been sufficent. The guy got fustrated and it was only a bit of handbags.
    He would have got the 5 games alone for his sending off and accumulating 10 bookings this season. Therefore he got a 5 game ban for pushing a ref a few times and threatening a linesman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

fair play to the ref cos he took some pretty hard pushes. i think refs need to be more fearless. eirebhoy made a good point, he really only got 5 games for it so he will be happy with it. well not happy but relieved!

It was a red card for two yellows though, I'm not up on the length of bans but I thought that was only a 1 game ban, plus whatever else for picking up 10 yellows (I wouldn't have thought that was 4 games?).

He has admitted he will accept whatever the FA give him and in fairness, he can't argue. Just time to forget about it and move on I suppose. Right I'm off to play my new-improved FM2005 for the night and watch the Spurs-Forest game, check y'all later!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

yeah hes already completed the ban for the double yellow = red. the brentford game counted for that ban. hes got 10 games just for losing his rag a bit. seems harsh to me.

its no more than the arsenal lads get up to some times and its less than what keane and the other united boys were like back a few years, e.g. the night they nearly bashed the ref, think it was against middlesboro.

so in my opinion, harsh

Sorry, just realised he served the one-match ban against Brentford, and from the official Saints website he has only picked up 9 bookings this season including the FA Cup, so it is in fact a straight 10 game ban.

I'm probably starting to sound bitter but the entire Arsenal bans for the scenes after the van Nistelrooy penalty miss came to 9 games between 4 players. I would like to hear the FA try to justify 10 games for this.

TBH, "push" is too strong a word for what Prutton did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

got what he deserved. players shouldnt be getting away with abusing refs let alone putting their hands on them

in fairness to him though he apologised and admitted to losing it

and in regards to the arsenal bans. they were for conduct towards players and not match officials. thers obviously going to be a heavier punishment for touching a ref than a player

and i have never seen an arsenal player push a ref but if you can point towards any games then do so as that sort of behaviour isnt acceptable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

It's way too harsh IMO . I've seen load of players do similar and not even be sent off. All this does is raise the bar for more serious offences. Just another exapmle of the FA needlessly flexing ther muscles if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The Muppet wrote:
    It's way too harsh IMO . I've seen load of players do similar and not even be sent off. All this does is raise the bar for more serious offences. Just another exapmle of the FA needlessly flexing ther muscles if you ask me.

who?!

he deserved his ban, if he got through to the linemans he probaly would of decked him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

lua lua did the exact same thing pretty much a bit earlier in the season and got 3 games as far as I remember

who?!

he deserved his ban, if he got through to the linemans he probaly would of decked him.

He didn't get to the third official and he.didnt deck anyone . He should be punished for what he actually did and not what he migh have done in any hypotheticl situation. As I said I have seen plenty of players lose the head with official over the years,. If it were one of your team players would you be making the same argument as you are? I know I would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

imo opinion he should have got longer. These players have to learn to respect the officials....

I think there should be zero tolerance.....just like rugby....look at the poor english team who were at the end of some very strange decsions last sunday.... :D
    Having said that Neil Back (English/leicester rugby player) got a 6month ban for pushing a ref over after a game when the ref awarded a (very unfair) last minute peanlty try in the cup final to cost Leicester the match by a point.

anyway, apologies for dragging rugby into the discussion :)

RuggieBear wrote:

apologies for dragging rugby into the discussion :)

Rightly so, How dare you lower the tone of the soccer forum.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The Muppet wrote:
    He didn't get to the third official and he.didnt deck anyone . He should be punished for what he actually did and not what he migh have done in any hypotheticl situation. As I said I have seen plenty of players lose the head with official over the years,. If it were one of your team players would you be making the same argument as you are? I know I would.

fair enough he shouldnt be punished for what he might of done.

He still deserved the 10 matches for pushing the ref. Pushed him at least 2 times, possibly 3. Fully deserved i feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

Pigman II wrote:
    It was Paulo Di Canio. He got 11 games
    That looked like there was someone kneelin down behind the ref like you do gowlin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ref isn't there for you to vent your anger.
    You attack him in any way you should be banned full stop, if you ask me he got off lightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I'm probably starting to sound bitter but the entire Arsenal bans for the scenes after the van Nistelrooy penalty miss came to 9 games between 4 players. I would like to hear the FA try to justify 10 games for this.

Whilst neither should be condoned, there's a big difference between starting on another teams players and starting on the match officials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

Players really have to learn to respect the officials. Once the decision is made its not going to be changed by throwing a wobbly and tryign to attack the official. Fair enough the guy was contrite after the fact but how else was he going to be after 'Arry the 'Achet got his hands on him. Every time I see Players surrounding the ref I throw my hands up in depair, I mean how thick are these guys, just get on with the game FFS!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

MrJoeSoap wrote:

Oh Lord, someone had to bring it up didn't they... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Its really very simple:

Pushing a player, violent conduct towards a player.
    Pushing a ref, violent conduct towards a respresnative of the FA and the match official.

Foul on player, yellow card.
    Foul on ref, ban.

Can you see the difference?

Oh Lord, someone had to bring it up didn't they... :rolleyes:

I'm actually a big fan of Arsenal, I was merely using it to compare the bans handed out.
    Pigman II wrote:
    there's a big difference between starting on another teams players and starting on the match officials.

Prutton did NOT start on the referee or linesman, as you state, he barely touched the referee but he certainly verbally abused the linesman, and deserved to pick up a ban for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

personally i think its fair enough, the league has to be seen to be protecting the referees and linesmen.
    if southampton have a good cup run he could play in the final though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

what i really can't understand is why he went so balistic, he sends Pires to Hospital, then he gets up looking to inflict GBH on the ref and linesman, it's psychotic behaviour. Well deserved punishment.

Did anyone see the Saul Mikoliunas incident in the Rangers-Hearts game? Just interesting to see that they won't be making their decision until the 15th of March. It'll be interesting to see what he gets, it was kinda similar although IMO more severe than what Prutton did.

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Did anyone see the Saul Mikoliunas incident in the Rangers-Hearts game? Just interesting to see that they won't be making their decision until the 15th of March. It'll be interesting to see what he gets, it was kinda similar although IMO more severe than what Prutton did.

We've all seen incidents as bad as Pruttons. I don't condojne what he did . If the FA are going to be consistant and punish every player guilty of pushing a ref thats fine by me. However I bet any money we will be revisiting this scenario in the near future when a similar incident recieves a lesser punishment.

Hehehe

Nothing to do with the actual foul, but he deserves a 10 game ban for the haircut alone!

Advertisement