Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forest v Spurs updates

• 02-03-2005 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭

Have no idea how this is gonna go, not sure if Forest have another great pefrormance left in them

Purely because Gary Megson has made a difference I'm gonna go 2-1 Forest aet :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Nottm Forest
    P Gerrard, J Curtis, W Morgan, A Melville, C Doig, J Perch, D Powell, P Evans, G Robertson, D Johnson, G Taylor
    Subs: C Doyle, J Thompson, M King, E Bopp, N Harris

Tottenham
    P Robinson, N Pamarot, T Atouba, A Gardner, S Kelly, S Davies, M Pedro Mendes, M Brown, R Ziegler, F Kanoute, R Keane
    Subs: R Cerny, E Edman, A Mido, J Defoe, M Carrick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I've tipped (and backed) Spurs for the Cup from the outset, don't see any reason to change my mind now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Im going for 3-1 spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

i see keane and kanoute are starting up front! i wonder is Jol thinkin that the mido/defoe partnership couldnt get a goal between them last weekend and keane/kanoute can get 2 in 10 mins so they're the number 1 partnership? just speculating.

is this match on anywhere? streams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

well, forest didnt turn up.
    pretty solid and professional play from spurs.

i think Jol was rotating the squad is all. i think only about 3 players started that played at the weekend. i just wish we could get rid of atouba and get a right back in that can actually pass the ball and defend solidly. we looked even better when edman came on for him in the last 15 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Is yougn Kelly not playing at right back now Carr has gone??? from wat I seen of him he is a good player!! was kinda watching last nite while on BFV and Spurs where crap in first half and a better side in second hand!!

sorry, meant left back

3 Irish right back's first choice at top 8 premiership clubs now, Carr, Finnan and Kelly. Not bad. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

well, forest didnt turn up.
    pretty solid and professional play from spurs.

i think Jol was rotating the squad is all. i think only about 3 players started that played at the weekend. i just wish we could get rid of atouba and get a right back in that can actually pass the ball and defend solidly. we looked even better when edman came on for him in the last 15 minutes.

Spurs should probably have just thrown the game, rather then setting themselves up for a hiding at the hands of Newcastle in the quarter-final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Why would they get a hiding? They've already beaten Newcastle in St.James's this season...i wouldn't write them off.....

How does everyone think Keane played? Is it just me, or is he the most frustraiting player to watch? He can be so brilliant one minute, and utterly wastefull the next...unfortunatly, he seems to do more of the latter. So many games i see him play in, if he put away his chances he'd have got bag loads of hatricks..instead he scores one here and there. Was suprised to see him as captain..was that the first time? Keane to captain Ireland after Roy and Cunningham are gone? Can Kelly play left back? Theres a few questions for someone to answer :)

• Advertisement

DubGuy22 wrote:
    Why would they get a hiding? They've already beaten Newcastle in St.James's this season...i wouldn't write them off.....

How does everyone think Keane played? Is it just me, or is he the most frustraiting player to watch? He can be so brilliant one minute, and utterly wastefull the next...unfortunatly, he seems to do more of the latter. So many games i see him play in, if he put away his chances he'd have got bag loads of hatricks..instead he scores one here and there.
    He may miss his fair share of chances but he has a fabulous strike rate this season and all I can come up with is that he must be getting himself into positions most can't. I don't know what it is with Robbie but people just seem to notice his misses more than others. I am one of those people and I honestly don't understand how we all think he misses so much.

from stats.premierleague.com:
    Keane
    Goals: 8
    Shots on goal: 22
    Shots/goal: 2.75

Defoe
    Goals: 11
    Shots on goal: 51
    Shots/goal: 4.64

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

eirebhoy wrote:

Keane

Defoe

Whats missing is the amount of times Keane throws a foot at a ball and catches air. Or falls over the ball. Or throws himself to the ground looking for a free. Or whinges at his team mates because of his own failure to hold on to a ball. Or blames a non-existent bobble when he misses a sitter at Man City... :D

See last night for example. First half Keane gets a great shot in on target saved well by Gerrard, follows up and completely misjudges the ball, barely connecting with it.

See last Saturday, and his miss from an inch perfect pass from the right by Kanoute.

Keane is our Andy Cole. He'll score goals, but you don't want to be relying on him week in, week out. Defoe is a better player, he links up with his front partner much better than Keane.

oooooh. careful now. i think robbie keanes workrate as a forward is among the best inthe premiership.
    he tracks back, he comes deep, he acts a pivotal player occasionally,and as a winger. he covers all the pitch. and his movement is great going from left to right and back again.
    defoe certainly has bags of talent, and technically, i think he is better tahn keane, and he also takes a lot of long range shots.
    keane on the other hand always looks to score from 6 inches, be it going around the keeper, or actually tapping in from a foot like last night.

but there is just something nnoying about robbie keane the footballer. he cant go around a keeper (of course, he did it at the weekend, to try and disprove me, but i persevere!), he often holds on to the ball too long. hes a fab player, but theres just something really nagging about his play. but id rather have him on the team than not. because i think a lot of the top clubs are going to go to a 4321 formation, and i think robbie keane is a fab player to play behind a striker. duff and robben play behind drogber at chelsea like that, and when those three are on form, its awesome stuff.

all spurs need are two decent wingers (not counting andy reid, coz he hasnt really got a decent spell yet) and things will really catch on at spurs.
    perhaps is davies and reid start playing wide then we will see some very interesting formations :)

bring on the 5-4 matches again1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

i really dont know why atouba is getting so much bashing from the spurs fans..

he has the makings of a world class player with a lot of strength and agility..perhaps he can sometimes go over the top in nut megging people in his own box but some of his flicks etc are outstanding. i would have him over edman any day.

people got on his back when looking for a scape goat over the last month...really cant see jol picking a consistantly average player over a player of atouba's promise

as for the comment about spurs wasting their time going to st james park...well thats just the type of stupid comments that are not needed around here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

only saw the highlights of the match but Mido looked a lot better than Kanoute. Keano missed a few shots alright!

actually, Spurs v Newcastle will be a good one to watch for the irish players! most of the (future) first 11 will b playin. Given, Carr, O' Brien, Keane, Kelly, Reid (actually hes cup tied i think?). am i missin any1 else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

sikes wrote:
    i really dont know why atouba is getting so much bashing from the spurs fans..
    You've got to be kidding :confused: The last game I saw him play on RTÉ he just wellied the ball up the field at the first oppurtunity he got, giving away the ball 50% of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

You've got to be kidding :confused: The last game I saw him play on RTÉ he just wellied the ball up the field at the first oppurtunity he got, giving away the ball 50% of the time.

Yeah he is terrible....think he will be gone in summer!! this was Santini's signing and I dont tink Jol rates him at all!! I wonder why??? him and Ricketts are Championship players at best!!

sikes wrote:
    people got on his back when looking for a scape goat over the last month...really cant see jol picking a consistantly average player over a player of atouba's promise

the problem is that while he is a good player, he is incredibly inconsistant. he makes tackles when he should be channeling the player with the ball, more often than not, his long passes are inacturate, he spends too much time on the ball, when he does pass short, he drops back, when as a full back, he should be pressing up the wings to give another option (not too dissimilar to what steve carr does) he tries too many fancy moves that when they dont come offm mean we give the ball away cheaply. i mean, ithink that list there is enough.
    edman is a good defender, he has a great long pass, and his short passes are crisp. he channels well,and he tackles well.
    he is solid, and he is consistant, and if you want to see a great cross into the box, reference henrick larssons fantastic diving heading in the euro championships last summer. guess who put that ball in....

i also think zielgler is a fantastic player as well, and the more i see, and the more confident he gets, the better he is. he has the talent (although not the strength) of atouba, but he is consistant, he holds the wing well, and he passes well. although neither can shoot for toffee.

i hope to be proived very wrong, and that atouba becomes a player than needs top be picked first on any team sheet, but until he learns to pass, and play consistantly and l;earns to channel and tackle, all his strength mean s nothing to me.

it means nothing to me.

oh.

vienna.

/sorry. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

eirebhoy wrote:
    He may miss his fair share of chances but he has a fabulous strike rate this season and all I can come up with is that he must be getting himself into positions most can't. I don't know what it is with Robbie but people just seem to notice his misses more than others. I am one of those people and I honestly don't understand how we all think he misses so much.

Keane

Defoe

True, but keane will waste a lot of going forward chances, by over playing the ball, and also losing it before he gets a shot off (often 3 or 4 touches after he should have shot/passed) or, like someone said, just completely miss the ball! I think the most important stat is goals per game, defoe has 1.6, keane has 2.54 (soccer-stats)
    His goals per game at international level this season is 4 from 6, but should be around 6 from 6, but against Faroe Isles, was the most wastefull Keane performance i'veever seen.

DubGuy22 wrote:
    True, but keane will waste a lot of going forward chances, by over playing the ball, and also losing it before he gets a shot off (often 3 or 4 touches after he should have shot/passed) or, like someone said, just completely miss the ball! I think the most important stat is goals per game, defoe has 1.6, keane has 2.54 (soccer-stats)
    His goals per game at international level this season is 4 from 6, but should be around 6 from 6, but against Faroe Isles, was the most wastefull Keane performance i'veever seen.
    Premiership only:

Robbie Keane
    Minutes played: 1676
    Goals Scored: 8
    Assists: 5
    Minutes/Goal: 209
    90mins/Goal: 2.33

Jermain Defoe
    Minutes Played: 1885
    Goals Scored: 11
    Assists: 2
    Minutes/Goal: 171
    90mins/Goal: 1.9

Consider the fact that Keane was played out of position about 3-5 times they are pretty equal. I agree with therecklessone though, he is fairly fond of kicking air. :)

BTW - If you were to add cup matches Keane's game/goal average would be a lot better. He scored 6 goals in the equivalent of under 6 games.

Its something about Robbie that when he's being slated I defend him and when he's being over praised I slate him. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement