Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java Games

Options
  • 02-03-2005 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

Do any know where I can get some good free software for making java games?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

rpg

dont know any others

although you could learn java then make one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

The java3d api is fairly handy to learn if you know a bit about programming. If you want to get into serious game development I'd suggest taking a look at C and OpenGL or Direct X.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

You'd probably be better off looking either at writing the java code yourself or something like game maker-which doesn't make java games. Funnily enough I wrote a program last year as part of my course to allow people to make java games-but alas I've lost it and all the code for it.....I really should go back to the college about it.

You don't need to worry about the performance issues of java(any more) as the jvm has improved hugely with 1.5 and well written java code was never that slow to begin with, but java 3d is slow as hell, better off with xith3d or lwjg, and now I'm officially rambling. But if you're new to programming and aren't bothered by 3d graphics then something like delphi is the way to go-nice language to begin with.

http://fivedots.coe.psu.ac.th/~ad/jg/

Nice Java Gaming tutorials if you're interested.

Advertisement